How would you guys handle this???

Rouleur

So long story short, my wife is coming home the other day. She is turning right in a dedicated lane, a Primrose School van is turning left in a dedicated lane. Van makes a wide right and hits the back of my wife's van with rear of their van. School van turns around and comes back to check on my wife and kids. Profusely apologizes for the accident. They don't fill out report because my wife doesn't see any damage. Well, she didn't check the other side of the van that was pushed into the curb and marred the wheel up pretty good as well as taking a huge chunk out of the side wall of the tire.

I call the school, get a little run around, then talk to the franchise owner. He tells me that the 20 year old little girl driving the van says that my wife hit her! He says, basically, to go fcuk myself and have my insurance call him. I ask for his insurance information and he will not divulge it. He wouldn't even give me his full name at first, I had to drag it out of him. The damage is so fcuking minimal but he, for all intent and purpose, told me to go fcuk myself.

I want to chase it, out of principle, but I am wondering if a social media campaign and paying the damage myself is a better option.

Thoughts???

Not sure how insurance works there but here I would call my insurer tell them the story, if I were 100% certain I wasn't at fault I would claim it as a not at fault driver and let them deal with the headache, easy done.

The worst thing is, that girl is responsible for driving kids around and to top it off she made making a simple mistake even worse by lying about it. The school director should be a little more concerned IMO, regardless of what the girl told him. Crappy situation.

Forget it and move on.

This. Plus ALWAYS file a report or get video/pics/witness testimony and info. When faces with trouble lies come out easily.

I am surprised that nobody has suggested you divorce the wife and hook up with the 20 year old yet!!! :eusa_dance:

I would probably file a report with my insurance company and let them chase after the school. To me the biggest concern isn't the fact that you might have to pay for the damages out of pocket but rather some 20 year old girl is driving a school van and hitting other cars. Not really the situation I want my kids in.

Plus ALWAYS file a report or get video/pics/witness testimony and info. When faces with trouble lies come out easily.

This! ALWAYS get a police report regardless of the damage you see ... when you get home looking over stuff you will undoubtedly find more damage somewhere else or it may even be worse than you think.

Forget it and move on.

:iamwithstupid:

People suck and if you didnt get insurance info at the time of incident your SOL.

Happened to me a few times. I am beggining to hate all people except asian massage therapists..

Accident happens, immediately demand insurance info and the police. If the say "sorry I will pay for it later " you are at a loss and pretty much screwed.

Happened to me too many times, people suck especially those with limited financial means.

So long story short, my wife is coming home the other day. She is turning right in a dedicated lane, a Primrose School van is turning left in a dedicated lane. Van makes a wide right and hits the back of my wife's van with rear of their van. School van turns around and comes back to check on my wife and kids. Profusely apologizes for the accident. They don't fill out report because my wife doesn't see any damage. Well, she didn't check the other side of the van that was pushed into the curb and marred the wheel up pretty good as well as taking a huge chunk out of the side wall of the tire.

I call the school, get a little run around, then talk to the franchise owner. He tells me that the 20 year old little girl driving the van says that my wife hit her! He says, basically, to go fcuk myself and have my insurance call him. I ask for his insurance information and he will not divulge it. He wouldn't even give me his full name at first, I had to drag it out of him. The damage is so fcuking minimal but he, for all intent and purpose, told me to go fcuk myself.

I want to chase it, out of principle, but I am wondering if a social media campaign and paying the damage myself is a better option.

Thoughts???

First, it doesn't sound that minor... A new rim and wheel sound like a few grand at least? So it's worth pursuing.

First. You call your insurance company. They'll interview you and the girl by phone and determine who's at fault, and pay to get your car fixed.

Two you sue the school in small claims court for the amount of your deductible. (And maybe increased premiums?)

Your wife tells her side of the story, the kid tells hers (wow... She told her boss it wasnt her fault? No shit? That's really fcuking hard to believe... Who would lie about such a thing? Can I shut off the sarcasm already or do I need to keep this up). And the party the judge believes prevails. Police reports are nice but aren't issued in most fender benders...

Your biggest problem is going to be explaining why there is damage to the opposite side of the vehicle than where the collision occurred... I can't figure out what the fcuk you're talking about, and the judge will have the same problem unless you can articulate this a lot better...

Forget the social meaning shaming stuff... That's lame.

^ in Chicago, you get no police report for this kind of small fender bender as RomanDad said, and I'm sure it's the same all over. The police come, look at the minor damage and tell you to drive to the station to fill out the paperwork which no one ever does. Just let your insurance company cover your loss and deal with it. 20 is kind of young to be bussing kids around IMO. We had an incident a few months back where a 25 year old fell asleep while driving an EL train and ran it up the escalator at O'Hare. LOL Too much partying among that demographic...

First, it doesn't sound that minor... A new rim and wheel sound like a few grand at least? So it's worth pursuing.

First. You call your insurance company. They'll interview you and the girl by phone and determine who's at fault, and pay to get your car fixed.

Two you sue the school in small claims court for the amount of your deductible. (And maybe increased premiums?)

Your wife tells her side of the story, the kid tells hers (wow... She told her boss it wasnt her fault? No shit? That's really fcuking hard to believe... Who would lie about such a thing? Can I shut off the sarcasm already or do I need to keep this up). And the party the judge believes prevails. Police reports are nice but aren't issued in most fender benders...

Your biggest problem is going to be explaining why there is damage to the opposite side of the vehicle than where the collision occurred... I can't figure out what the fcuk you're talking about, and the judge will have the same problem unless you can articulate this a lot better...

Forget the social meaning shaming stuff... That's lame.

This is what I was looking for. Apparently what happened is, my wife was in the right hand turn lane, the bus was in the left turn lane, and decided she needed to go right. Didn't see my wife in the lane already and hooked a right turn from the left hand lane. My wife saw her coming and swerved to the right even further, hitting the curb with her wheel. The bus still hit the left rear corner of her van with the right front corner of the bus. The wheel and tire are a right at a grand with the alignment.

I have to say, the lying was the bitch of it. The owner of the place not stepping up and having the cojones to just admit he fucked up. That is what kills me.

This is what I was looking for. Apparently what happened is, my wife was in the right hand turn lane, the bus was in the left turn lane, and decided she needed to go right. Didn't see my wife in the lane already and hooked a right turn from the left hand lane. My wife saw her coming and swerved to the right even further, hitting the curb with her wheel. The bus still hit the left rear corner of her van with the right front corner of the bus. The wheel and tire are a right at a grand with the alignment.

I have to say, the lying was the bitch of it. The owner of the place not stepping up and having the cojones to just admit he fucked up. That is what kills me.

Well, HE didn't fcuk up... His employee fucked up... And he knows her... He hired her... He sees her everyday... You're just some stranger on the phone... Who didn't see the accident EITHER... Why would he believe you? You believe your wife. He believes his employee. One is lying, but without hearing them both and having them answer my questions, I cant guess which one.

I still don't get it, but.... if you wife drove into the curb, and the actual impact from the other vehicle didn't leave so much as a scratch, then I'd say you're SOL. Besides, if the women in my life are any example, your wife is likely to ding the wheels the next time she parallel parks, anyways!

I still don't get it, but.... if you wife drove into the curb, and the actual impact from the other vehicle didn't leave so much as a scratch, then I'd say you're SOL. Besides, if the women in my life are any example, your wife is likely to ding the wheels the next time she parallel parks, anyways!

Turns out that she was in the right hand turn lane about to execute a right hand turn. The school bus was in the left hand turn lane and decided, at the last second, it needed to go right. Hooked the right hand turn from the left hand lane and came right at my wife. Wife swerved to try and not get hit, still go hit, and hit the curb. Wheel isn't "curbed" in the traditional sense, the whole center section of the wheel is demolished. The tire has to be replaced due to a hole in the sidewall. The left rear quarter has to be buffed out, which means the whole vehicle has to be buffed to match it. I figure with the full buffing of the car and factory wheel and replacement tire we are talking about 2k. It isn't a lot of money, I know this, it is just the principle of the matter and the fact that the guy was an indignant fcuk on the phone. He deserves a boot in his ass. If I were him, I would have handled it much better, I guess I can't project my ethics onto another person though.

It isn't a lot of money, I know this, it is just the principle of the matter and the fact that the guy was an indignant fcuk on the phone. He deserves a boot in his ass. If I were him, I would have handled it much better, I guess I can't project my ethics onto another person though.

I wouldn't sneeze at 2K, but I agree that the hassle to collect is probably not worth it. What kinda van are we talkin about, anyways?

I have a similar situation where some tenants jacked me for about $1800 in rent. Do I spend $1500 in atty fees to pursue them? Financially that would be silly! But the fact that they bounced their check and straight bullshitted me about most everything makes me vindictive, and want to sue for a judgement 'on principle'. So I feel where you're coming from.

I bet the farther removed we get from this, the less you care about it all. That's usually how it works!

Turns out that she was in the right hand turn lane about to execute a right hand turn. The school bus was in the left hand turn lane and decided, at the last second, it needed to go right. Hooked the right hand turn from the left hand lane and came right at my wife. Wife swerved to try and not get hit, still go hit, and hit the curb. Wheel isn't "curbed" in the traditional sense, the whole center section of the wheel is demolished. The tire has to be replaced due to a hole in the sidewall. The left rear quarter has to be buffed out, which means the whole vehicle has to be buffed to match it. I figure with the full buffing of the car and factory wheel and replacement tire we are talking about 2k. It isn't a lot of money, I know this, it is just the principle of the matter and the fact that the guy was an indignant fcuk on the phone. He deserves a boot in his ass. If I were him, I would have handled it much better, I guess I can't project my ethics onto another person though.

This still doesn't make any sense...

IF the bus is making a sharp right turn, but hits the LEFT REAR QUARTER of your wife's van, it's hard to see how it drove your wife into the curb, from behind?It's easier to see if the bus clipped the front of the van, or even the side, but harder to imagine that's what happened when the damage is towards the rear of the vehicle.

I'm not saying that's not what happened, but if I put myself in the shoes of someone facing down a $2k bill, on the word of someone he knows (employee) and someone he doesn't (you), you'll need to present your story better to get somewhere with this...

This still doesn't make any sense...

IF the bus is making a sharp right turn, but hits the LEFT REAR QUARTER of your wife's van, it's hard to see how it drove your wife into the curb, from behind?It's easier to see if the bus clipped the front of the van, or even the side, but harder to imagine that's what happened when the damage is towards the rear of the vehicle.

I'm not saying that's not what happened, but if I put myself in the shoes of someone facing down a $2k bill, on the word of someone he knows (employee) and someone he doesn't (you), you'll need to present your story better to get somewhere with this...

As I said earlier, she swerved to try and avoid being hit, hit the curb, and still got hit by the bus. If she was pushed into the curb, the whole quarter panel would have been crushed.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd get your van on a frame rack asap, to verify nothing was bent. It doesn't take much force to bend control arms and or any other suspension components. Sub 5mph lateral slide into a curb bent front and rear subframe plus every control arm on my daily a couple winters ago.