The Architecture thread

capt_chaos

From the outside? What did you think of it? I like the way light filters through the glass bricks and the feeling of being shielded but at the same time connected with the outside, very clever use of materials.

I was riding on a street car which roll passed it. The unique facade and its strong contrast with nearby buildings caught my attention. I did not know it was done by Hiroshi Nakamura; otherwise, I would have hoped off to take a closer look.

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That looks interesting, I would appreciated it more if they used a real tree buy the timber is veneered, I don't like shortcuts :icon_mrgreen:

That looks interesting, I would appreciated it more if they used a real tree buy the timber is veneered, I don't like shortcuts :icon_mrgreen:

That would be pretty intense if it was milled from a single solid tree.

I think veneering is okay if done over another type of real wood, I mean veneering is an ages-old process. It's if they do it over say particleboard that I'd have a problem.

I think veneering is okay if done over another type of real wood, I mean veneering is an ages-old process. It's if they do it over say particleboard that I'd have a problem.

They sandwiched/glued rectangular pieces of wood together, look at the end of the piece you can see the joints.

I know this guy who built a cantilevered island out of steel, then veneered it in stone. It's not solid stone but I think it still looks pretty cool. :icon_mrgreen:

:lol2:

I have zero issue with veneer, what puts me off is the fact that you can see how they joined the logs together if they veneered over the top it would've been better.

Cool table. I cannot imagine the weight that thing possesses. You would need a crane to move it and pray the bark doesn't fall off.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Saw an interesting design the other day. I guess from an angle it might look like a ship?

post-11867-1425959066_thumb.png

post-11867-1425959151_thumb.png

It might, it wasn't uncommon for the late Art Deco style to use ocean liners as inspiration. I assume this house is old? It's certainly "different" if it's a new build.

I dont think an architecture thread can exist without reference to John Lautner's Arango house.

arango_mar-brisas-1-1.jpg

arango_mar-brisas-1-28.jpg

43bf53_8569f1b91cb078bd188632d612718d07.jpg

dspe_john_lautner_architecture_6.jpg

43bf53_0c7a28b6225b60cdd04f2506ead5c81f.jpg

:shock: :shock: :shock:

is that good or bad shock?

I love it, its brutalist architecture, mixed with organic design and considering it was designed in 1970 its mind blowing to me.

Another must have in an architecture thread has to be Mies van der Rohe's German Pavilion.

built in 1929

BarcelonaPavilionMies_CarlosBeamonte1_large.jpg

Barcelona-Pavilion_2.jpg

1_29BarcelonaPavilionInterior090-1.jpg

interior.jpg