F1 Driver Jules Bianchi seriously injured

Fortitude

Terrible. At first looked like the crane was stuck while clearing another car, but apparently Jules Bianchi slid off the track into the crane and is seriously injured. The race was stopped and the drivers did not do the typical champagne spraying.

Still developing story...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im watching it too. he's being taken to a hospital, unconscious. they couldn't airlift because of the typhoon. wow.

i hope he regains consciousness.

Sutil won't talk about it, was the driver who's car they were trying to clear at the time.

Apparently they only had a yellow flag which only requires them to slow down sorta, should have been a safety car retrospect though.

I read there was a double yellow - A double yellow, consisting of two flagmen waving yellow flags (or one waving two flags) at the same post, indicates great danger ahead. Drivers must slow down and be prepared to stop; no overtaking is permitted.

But yeah a safety car seems like a good idea in retrospect.

Majority of reports now saving he has been operated on and breathing on his own which is positive but a long way to go yet.

I was watching the race and the BBC thought the medical car was for Sutil not Jules because you could not see the car. - So have not seen the incident.

Lots of things to mull over in retrospect but it was double flags because of the positioning of the incident. But even the start time was a problem because Honda refused to start the race earlier - the weather was only going to get worse so why not start it earlier?

Also, in the past the Helicopter used for hospital transfers has held up practise and qualifying - happened at COTA recently but they could not use it at the time of the accident because of the approaching storm. Surely that has got to be a factor in keeping a race going?

Lewis Hamilton's pass though...

fcuk

image.jpg

Did he go UNDER the frkn back of the crane?@!$!>>?!?!?!??!! Top of the car is flattened and I know the 2 left side wheels were left resting on the left side of the crane by the rear wheel.... Holy mo... :eek3dance:

during the race it was reported that the FIA did offer the promoter (honda) the option of running the race earlier. those who follow F1 know that the FIA is very strict when it comes to dealing with promoters and tracks, for the FIA to even make that offer is incredible in it self.

Wow. That looks even worse than I imagined after seeing the video. That was a big impact based on the movement of the crane - which I am sure is not light. It also looks he hit at about head level - no bueno.

While not a common occurrence, I still think they need to seriously look into requiring safety equipment with protection to not allow cars to go underneath.

OMG...that video was gut wrenching to watch. Why don't they just close the track temporarily, at least until the wreckage is cleared and the tractor is out of the way. Hopefully, the driver comes out ok. Prayers.

Hopefully he is on the road to a full recovery. The breathing on his own news was good but I haven't seen anything in terms of medical updates.

in the video, the corner worker at that actual station is waving a single Green flag... doesn't make much sense....

in the video, the corner worker at that actual station is waving a single Green flag... doesn't make much sense....

I watched that several times to be sure. I noticed a guy run up there and they quickly changed to yellow/SC. That looks like a major fcuk up. How the hell can you say green when there is a car stranded and workers are in harms way?

It may have something to do with why they weren't releasing video...maybe even more than the graphic nature of the impact.

Hopefully he is on the road to a full recovery. The breathing on his own news was good but I haven't seen anything in terms of medical updates.

I watched that several times to be sure. I noticed a guy run up there and they quickly changed to yellow/SC. That looks like a major fcuk up. How the hell can you say green when there is a car stranded and workers are in harms way?

It may have something to do with why they weren't releasing video...maybe even more than the graphic nature of the impact.

He is NOT breathing on his own right now it appears.

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/report/28593/...e-head-injuries

"I can clear up a couple of pieces of misinformation which have been picked up by the French media and a couple of outlets in the UK," Craig Slater reported at 6am UK Time on Monday morning.

"I can confirm that Jules is not, unfortunately, breathing unaided. My understanding is that he is still relying on a respirator at this point to be able to breathe.

The green lag is right, from that point on the track was clear. yellows were before that and they are till the next flag. That's in theory at least.

The green lag is right, from that point on the track was clear. yellows were before that and they are till the next flag. That's in theory at least.

They are waving double yellow flags at first, then switch to green about 55 sec into the video, before the truck is out. 15 seconds later Bianchi slams into the truck. If all flags were green at this point, someone messed up real bad.

They are waving double yellow flags at first, then switch to green about 55 sec into the video, before the truck is out. 15 seconds later Bianchi slams into the truck. If all flags were green at this point, someone messed up real bad.

Not only is he waving the green in that corner when the Bianchi collision happened, he stopped at 1:13 when it was happening, looked down at the situation, then continued to wave the green flag until around 2:30 when someone climbed up the stairs and spoke to him.

Considering the original crash, heavy equipment and track workers inside the barriers, and another very violent collision right at the foot of this flag stand, I can only imagine that corner worker and anyone advising him on the radios is in some trouble.

Seriously, you don't keep waving the green after peering down at a serious wreck right in front of you, regardless of what the track looked like at the next corner down stream. Radio out what just happened and throw out the red flag and park everyone. This is really horrible.