72 Datsun 240z/Fairlady Z Restoration Build

NRG x Lambo

Honestly this is awesome! The older Z's are already becoming the next Japanese collector, can't wait to see it completed

the classic japanese car market is definitely growing and gaining popularity. obviously it's no american muscle or classics yet… but it's a good place to start for sub-20k and build something 3-4x in value. there was a hakosuka (skyline) that sold for well above $100k at pebble. thanks again deuce!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

note quite a FORTIS home build thread…. but i'm glad you dig it!

To me is equally as exciting, I pay people to do most of my stuff you do it yourself :icon_thumleft:

Awesome project! I've had a few of the 90's era japanese sports cars but have always wanted to build one of the classics. Keep the updates coming!

I love it!!!!! These build threads are so cool to me. It's really amazing to see what you started with and where it is now! I can't wait to see the finished project. Keep up the good work!

I love this thread. Those flares need watanabes with fat tires under them :D

good luck with the build and keep the pics coming

i have a set of TE37v's coming in for the car, and a second set of Watanabes have been ordered as well!

I love it!!!!! These build threads are so cool to me. It's really amazing to see what you started with and where it is now! I can't wait to see the finished project. Keep up the good work!

thank you for your kind words!

i have a set of TE37v's coming in for the car, and a second set of Watanabes have been ordered as well!

What size 37's did you get? Like 15's? I think they'd look good for a modern touch on a classic. What color finish? Bronze, gold? Or straight up black? Please don't do contrast lip color, i hate that lol

The Watanabes are good, but I think those are getting "Too popular" for my tastes these days. Either way, the car will look good.

What size 37's did you get? Like 15's? I think they'd look good for a modern touch on a classic. What color finish? Bronze, gold? Or straight up black? Please don't do contrast lip color, i hate that lol

The Watanabes are good, but I think those are getting "Too popular" for my tastes these days. Either way, the car will look good.

haha… here's where we MAY have slightly different visions. i ordered a set of 15x9.5/15x10 TE37v in the gunmetal with polish lip. it's not a full chrome but a machined finish.

the watanabes would be a great set to run something period correct. these would be ALL charcoal finish. but i'm now strongly considering the SSR long champs OR hayashi street wheels.

• 4 weeks later...
hey guys,

a few weeks back i posted a photo of my new R8 spyder, and someone caught a glimpse of a 72 datsun project i was working on. so finally got a chance to upload all the photos off my phone and share some of this build with you so far. it's still FAR from being finished and will take some time. but hope you guys enjoy the process so far…

after months of looking for a project Z car, i finally found one in reno, nevada. car only had 2 owners, and the owner i bought it from owned it for 36 of the 42 years of the car's history. owner had done an exterior ONLY restoration a few years back.

Man you do not mess around and you have one heck of a garage! LOVE the wood steering wheel.

since i live in california (where is hardly ever rains), and i don't really plan on driving it IN the rain, i had the windshield wipers removed and the heavy motors (they weren't working anyways).

I kind of hate you a bit right now!

It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow. Enjoy it!

Couldn't agree more!

Also I LOVE that your buddy's company is called Emergency Hookers. What a fantastic name. LOL.

I kind of hate you a bit right now!

LOL! I'll have some more updates to post next week when I get a chance to upload some photos. New seats should be coming in this week or next… they were suppose to be coming off containers from Japan last week. I'm up in Sacramento visiting a local shop to sort out suspension options.

fantastic project... im shopping around for a Fair lady roadster to do this to with an Sr20det.

• 1 month later...

Huge Datsun fan and congrats on your 240Z / S30 project!

I have owned Datsun Z cars for over 15 years.

Not hijacking your thread, but my past project:

282862230.jpg

Currently in my garage:

409127123.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Huge Datsun fan and congrats on your 240Z / S30 project!

I have owned Datsun Z cars for over 15 years.

Not hijacking your thread, but my past project:

282862230.jpg

Currently in my garage:

409127123.jpg

awesome!

here are some updates on the project...

so my SEATS finally came in from JAPAN... a little back story and what makes these seats so awesome: these are a BRAND NEW pair of BRIDE HISTRIX seats. BRIDE is a well known, high quality seat manufacturer in japan. these were made for those building 'vintage' japanese cars. the seats were discontinued well over 6 years ago, and scoring a set is IMPOSSIBLE. finding a used set floating around the net is pretty rare. if you find ANYTHING, it's usually just 1 seat. not a pair...

a buddy of mine, who is good friends with some of the guys at BRIDE japan spoke with them directly about my project. he pulled some strings, and they basically pulled the old molds out of storage and made me a BRAND NEW PAIR OF HISTRIX seats! these are literally like UNICORN seats in my opinion...

i love the vintage "look" - no headrest, low bucket seats with the grommets. oh and the exposed carbon back looks sick! anyways here's some photos of the seats...

C662FBBD-C489-4855-A070-29E49A6096B7_zps

1D4566FF-B919-4802-99D3-BAF1F3988444_zps

here's my baby son falling asleep in the seat... LOL

36BF04A1-263A-445D-BC10-1EA9F6D8604C_zps

the front lower air dam and rear spoilers have been painted. they were painted in the same "satin texture" finish that the fender flares are. the final product doesn't look as glossy as it does in photos. it really LOOKS like OEM urethane pieces...

4F093BAF-46A8-4516-BC34-90F6EC4B8796_zps

EC764FB3-81BB-4FF2-9D77-B53BA1FEB3B0_zps

WHEELS are in... these are the first of 2 sets we're going to use/try on the Z. these VOLK TE37v's are a little bit of a modern flare on the old school car... i LOVE the deep lips.

B32CFFA9-8B4C-4DCC-AF73-88ED837A2FDB_zps

7E1F1C7C-FD52-4313-9FA2-80EECBA3DCBC_zps

my son making another cameo appearance and inspection of parts...

5EBE67A5-4489-4365-AAFB-CFDB241644C9_zps

i just finished installing the rear spoiler...

first i used rubber/foam to cut and create a gasket for the underside of the spoiler...

8E99B315-9644-49BB-9DB3-A5FFFF70A3BD_zps

BD9994F2-2281-40BB-8A54-FE0ED644467F_zps

here goes nothing... drilling the trunk lid... EEEK.

568CA626-1811-4167-AF94-73049C43F319_zps

and wha-la!

B9BEE747-1CBF-4C7E-ADFF-60D7A8A49051_zps

3739D901-B9CF-409E-B9C4-F8B57D96FA4B_zps

i created a paper template of the "Fairlady Z" emblem to find the proper mounting points...

A4F9DC1A-0A53-4665-8FF0-6E0EA80A761D_zps

and here's the final touch!

970CC1CD-D339-45D7-B5EB-E36518FE5A1C_zps

E2D95B5D-C09A-421F-8B04-9179CB14C155_zps

hopefully carpeting and seats should be installed by this week! i'll update again soon! thanks!