72 Datsun 240z/Fairlady Z Restoration Build

NRG x Lambo

Great updates, your son is adorable looks like he's the same age as my son 18 months old.

Love the seats, I can't wait to see the whole car done!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great updates, your son is adorable looks like he's the same age as my son 18 months old.

Love the seats, I can't wait to see the whole car done!

thank you! my son is 15 months. so pretty close!

The seats...the spoiler...the wing. Nice work! Love the shots with the little guy too! Just wait a few more months and he will be bringing you tools. No I said the 1/2 DEEP socket not the regular!

The molding on the rear spoiler looks great and the car so far looks really cool. Was the gray when you got the car a factory color? I really enjoy these classic car restores like this and Kerplop's. Great work and nice execution. I like the textured finish on the front lip and fenders.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Any updates? My uncle collects the original Z cars, 240 to 280Z's and he restores them himself. He also restores classic Chevy's, its an odd mix. At least he doesn't put Chevy power into the Z's.

My brothers first car was a 240Z, he bought off my uncle. Driven them many times. For 70's and even into the 80's, the performance is up with the other sports cars of the era or better. Love these cars.

Any updates? My uncle collects the original Z cars, 240 to 280Z's and he restores them himself. He also restores classic Chevy's, its an odd mix. At least he doesn't put Chevy power into the Z's.

My brothers first car was a 240Z, he bought off my uncle. Driven them many times. For 70's and even into the 80's, the performance is up with the other sports cars of the era or better. Love these cars.

unfortunately not much right now. been super busy with business. hoping to get back on this in the next few weeks.

Too bad its not done. Spring is almost here.

Its been a few years since my uncle has rebuilt a Z. He's concentrating on his 57 Chevy.

• 1 month later...

Super excited to see this build. I plan on adding a Fairlady to my stable at some point but I don't have your skills so will have buy one already finished. I lived in Okinawa during high school in the 80's and this, the Skyline and the Savanna were the cars to have.

This was my previous data point for a Fairlady but once you finish your build, your car may be the new benchmark.

nissan_datsun_fairlady_z_10.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

so some EXCITING news about the Z project.... i obviously hit a HUGE delay because "LIFE" happened, and I have a 3 year old toddler and a 5 month old baby girl in the family. honestly family and business has taken up so much time that I haven't been able to give the Z project the attention she deserves.

i enlisted the help of JDM LEGENDS in Salt Lake City last month after having some great conversations with Eric (the owner). we share the same vision and preferences when it comes to classic Japanese vintage builds. he was SUPER excited by the project and really liked the direction that it's taking. we both agreed that JDM LEGENDS (as much as I hope it would be a project I would have finished up) would be the best PARTNER to wrap things up for me...

so 2 weeks ago, she got loaded up and headed out to SLC...

58E1C808-519E-4FB8-A948-04070761678A_zps

77EDD6CD-F01B-40F7-A43D-A1CC53F03E1A_zps

78E8EC39-3F3B-4154-9D70-7A269668582C_zps

D8657ED0-E354-4EC0-8AEC-94437D85646D_zps

funny part is, in 2 WEEKS, JDM LEGENDS got more done to the car than i have in 2 years. LOL!!!!

dash was stripped down and being sent out for a FULL restoration job. (not some cheap dash cap). we'll be re-foaming the full dash, rewrapping it in vinyl. it'll look like a 100% OEM dash! dash is all boxed up and ready to ship out!

D8657ED0-E354-4EC0-8AEC-94437D85646D_zps

front suspension components are starting to go on! all under carriage parts are being pulled off, cleaned, resprayed with corrosion protection where needed, and reinstalled!

881ADE6E-4F03-421D-B458-035C9FE3AF24_zps

front brake/coilover assemblies are complete! new wheels bearings installed!

8B3052E3-CB54-466C-97B7-56FBC4E44DA2_zps

we SHOULD have a full rolling chassis by end of this week!!! finally the car won't look like it's FLYING and with it's UGLY stock wheels! stay tuned!!!

Cool, parts look fancy! Looking forward to seeing it come together. Trying to talk myself out of adopting my Dad's 280Z that he doesn't drive much anymore, but this thread isn't helping!