Custom Billet Carbon Ceramic Brake Kit and BIG tire Conversion

Lambofan35

I have had my Twin Turbo Gallardo for about 2.5 years that was originally built for the late Ray Hofman (RIP) by Underground Racing. The car has been great and street driven a LOT. I know this car front to back and have put in the time to learn everything I can and its been great to me!

My goal has always been to keep this a street car but make it better :icon_mrgreen:

So this time I decided to explore making a Custom Billet Carbon Ceramic Brake Kit for ANY YEAR Gallardo that original was NON Carbon Ceramic Brakes.

This kit uses the Factory Brake Calipers, brake lines, master cylinder, etc.

The only parts needed to make this kit work are: New Rotors, New Pads, and hardware.

Front Kit Pictured on my car: 380mm x 34mm on Billet Aluminum hardware.

Front Kit options: 380mm, 390mm, 398mm, 405mm

Price: I will offer a kit if I get enough interest.

Front Kit weight savings:

27lbs stock 365mm Gallardo rotor

my Billet CCB rotor is 11lbs

OEM CCB Rotors weigh about 14lbs FYI.

380mm Girodisc 2 piece rotors=18lbs

16lbs x2= 32lbs rotating weight savings for the front kit only compared to steel Gallardo brakes.

Rear Kit:

It is still being developed as I need a bit more fabrication parts for the e-brake since I wanted to keep it.

My rear Kit should be about 350mm or so and weigh 9lbs.

Steel Gallardo rotors are 20lbs

OEM CCB rotors are 11.75lbs FYI.

IMG_7987.JPG

IMG_8012.JPG

IMG_8021.JPG

IMG_7995.JPG

BIG TIRE Conversion

Everyone always has issues with running too big or too small tires on these cars with front differential overheating. I did a lot of calculations and ordered some custom 19" barrels from HRE to see what is the MAX width I can run. Conclusion on my widebody 19x13" with Swift aftermarket coilover springs, and a 345/30/19.

You CAN NOT run any wider tire/wheel on a Gallardo unless you go wider in the back then me which is unlikely, lol.

I just put this on today and have put enough miles on it to confirm there is no issues but if my math is right, I'm on the edge of making this work. Any more narrow wheel or taller tire, it wouldn't work right. There is literally so much grip even over my 335/30/18's its not even funny. The old ones were great but these are just glue.

Pictures are while I was corner balancing the car and its a lower now. The stack wheel picture is a the fronts at 19x9.5" and 235/35/19 if that gives you an idea of how massive these rear wheels are.

Old Rear Tire Setups:

325/25/20 Michelin PS2

315/25/20 Michelin Sport Cup tires

335/30/18 Toyo R888

New Tire Setup:

345/30/19 Toyo R888

IMG_7967_2.jpg

IMG_7593.JPG

IMG_7586.JPG

that rear tire rub?

Yours is a widebody kit right? If so too bad for the non widebody cars.

I'd like to put on a full set of 4x4 drag radials....like the GTR's....mainly to piss off Kevin.

that rear tire rub?

I'd like to put on a full set of 4x4 drag radials....like the GTR's....mainly to piss off Kevin.

LMAO...to piss Kevin off.

Its within 1/4 inch of the spring on the inside and very even with the outside fender. Doesn't rub as I run stiffer springs in the rear and the tire goes up to the inside when it compresses anyhow. Maybe rub a little, we will see with more miles. Widebody by an extra couple inches on each side. Maybe 2" I think.

He is using the stock caliper and I don't see a mention of new mounts for it, so I would imagine that it would work.

Are regular 19" wheels large enough for 390mm front brakes?

Some of the 19"s will fit up to 398mm but that is the limit and would require a certain clearances or wheel type. Ferrari Scuderia wheels are 19" and fit 398mm. I'd say the safe limit on a 19" aftermarket wheel would be around 390mm as the 398mm was just too close on my HRE 19".

Also the weight saved with the rotors will make the car more nimble. Will definitely see a difference and if not , it will act with the biggest tire/wheel setup (19") as if the setup was 1 inch lower (18")

Are regular 19" wheels large enough for 390mm front brakes?

I have 390 mm Alcon steel race rotors on my front and calipers just clear my oem 19" rim by 2 mm, with minor scraping on inside of rim. some slight grinding on the back of caliper to remove raised logo cured the scraping problem.

Strangely enough, miniscule caliper clearance on my OZ Superleggera 19" rims, but calipers did not scrape inside of rim as slightly different offset to oem rims. Probably accounts for the OZ Superleggera rims with Michelin PSS scraping on the fender liners on full lock.

cheers,

john

that rear tire rub?

You mean just like the Alpha lambda lambda lambda and the lambda lambda lambda and the omega mu mu GTR35 that won Texas Invitational and just ran 7.7 sec and 186 mph on the quarter mile with street tyres-not!

http://blog.caranddriver.com/watch-2000hp-...nds-at-186-mph/

cheers,

john

post-130322-1415381773.jpg

Well I'm not trying to go 4x4 like those GT-R's but I going from a 335/30/18, I had to raise the rear maybe 1/4". It's still a lot lower than 90% of Gallardos.

Here is a picture of the car corner balance at 49.9% and 50.1%, 57.3% weight bias in the rear still and rolling on 345/30/19 R888's without a problem.

345.30.19_R888.jpg

Well I'm not trying to go 4x4 like those GT-R's but I going from a 335/30/18, I had to raise the rear maybe 1/4". It's still a lot lower than 90% of Gallardos.

Here is a picture of the car corner balance at 49.9% and 50.1%, 57.3% weight bias in the rear still and rolling on 345/30/19 R888's without a problem.

345.30.19_R888.jpg

That looks sweet!

You mean just like the Alpha lambda lambda lambda and the lambda lambda lambda and the lambda lambda lambda and the lambda lambda lambda and the omega mu mu mu mu GTR35 that won Texas Invitational and just ran 7.7 sec and 186 mph on the quarter mile with street tyres-not!

http://blog.caranddriver.com/watch-2000hp-...nds-at-186-mph/

cheers,

john

Lol yeah. Whatever would piss off Kevin at Ugr.

Btw I was at TI and won the 6 speed manual class.

Lol yeah. Whatever would piss off Kevin at Ugr.

Btw I was at TI and won the 6 speed manual class.

Hi 2007 Gallardo,

Congrats on a great win.

I loved your enthusiastic response at the win jumping on the roof :)

I still have a soft spot for the manual Gallardo.

cheers,

john

He is using the stock caliper and I don't see a mention of new mounts for it, so I would imagine that it would work.

I don't know about the ceramic kit above, but if you are fitting 390 mm front rotors , you do need spacers to retain the original calipers.

You can see the spacers on this R8 V10 big brake 390 mm upgrade that I installed on my LP560-4.

See this link http://www.another board/vbforum/f4...nstalled-61386/

cheers,

john

post-130322-1415720079_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys. The front CCB kit I have here does require billet spacers which is a small part of the kit.

The front tires are 235/35/19 R888 which is pretty normal for the Gallardo. Its the best size without rubbing or throwing stuff out of balance. Its not big but its very similar to how the Ford GT is setup with a small tire up front and they go 250-270mph in the mile, lol.

I just did a little testing and between the bigger tire and lighter rotors up front (back is still 2 piece giro rotors for now).

I was able to get a 3.39second VBOX on regular 93 octane and a full tank of gas for the 100mph-150mph with 0% slope. If that isn't the pump gas record even for the 2R UGR cars then it's darn close, right HoustonT? :icon_super:

100_150_93_octane_GTT_3.39sec.jpg

345.30.19_R888.jpg

Car Looks AMAZING !!!!

Great Job Man !!

Thanks guys. The front CCB kit I have here does require billet spacers which is a small part of the kit.

The front tires are 235/35/19 R888 which is pretty normal for the Gallardo. Its the best size without rubbing or throwing stuff out of balance. Its not big but its very similar to how the Ford GT is setup with a small tire up front and they go 250-270mph in the mile, lol.

I just did a little testing and between the bigger tire and lighter rotors up front (back is still 2 piece giro rotors for now).

I was able to get a 3.39second VBOX on regular 93 octane and a full tank of gas for the 100mph-150mph with 0% slope. If that isn't the pump gas record even for the 2R UGR cars then it's darn close, right HoustonT? :icon_super:

100_150_93_octane_GTT_3.39sec.jpg

That is 100% the record for pump gas 100-150. Mine is like 3.7-3.9 on pump with 1 shift. Crazy you can do it with out a shift.