Dropping Oil Prices

szabo_martin

Just think of the look on the guys face when he comes back here and sees this. :shock:

Can i get a link to the other forum? This has the potential to be hilarious..

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can i get a link to the other forum? This has the potential to be hilarious..

:icon_mrgreen:

Your secret admirer hasn't logged in here since before I posted all this, so you're prime for the surprise attack.

If it's any consolation, I own a shitload of Canadian oil trust stocks.... And yeah... I'm watching them meltdown.... The Saudis are also the ones shorting them into the ground.... So they're making a shitload of cash in this.... Once the damage is done, they're going to back up the truck and buy them to hedge their bets and crank the prices back up....

I'm not panicking... I'm buying...

RD if I am looking to invest in Oil in the uS what is the best vehicle?

USO? OIL?

RD if I am looking to invest in Oil in the uS what is the best vehicle?

USO? OIL?

Thats always the issue... There are ups and down ps to all of them. USO is fine, but it doesn't track as accurately as a lot of investors wish it would... If you want that you've got to go into the futures markets and that's a pita... Hey... Isn't that what that Aussie slice Himler was banging was into? You could ask her...

Crickets...

I figured we were in for a continued drop all the way to this past Friday 19, which was triple witching.

What I did not expect is the fed coming out and appeasing the markets on Wednesday the 17.

The feds are supposed to be neutral which is far from the case in my opinion.

Saw this in the news today...

"

ABU DHABI - The determination of powerful Gulf OPEC members to stifle competition from new oil producers has left the global energy market reeling and sparked unprecedented uncertainty, officials and experts say.

Gathered in Abu Dhabi for a key conference, senior energy officials from Arab Gulf nations insisted they will not cut production despite the freefall in oil prices.

A supply glut, lower demand and the stronger US dollar have all contributed to pushing down oil prices, which have dropped nearly 50 percent since June to around $60 a barrel.

Experts say there is little doubt that OPEC is looking to drive new producers with higher costs -- in particular North American shale ventures -- out of the market.

And how long the effort will continue is anyone's guess.

"We have to wait and see if tight (shale) oil can continue" after the sharp fall in oil prices, Saudi Oil Minister Ali al-Naimi, whose country pumps a third of OPEC's 30 million barrels per day output, told a conference session.

"Things could need one year, two years or three. We don't know what will happen in the future. What is certain however is that high-efficiency producers will rule the market in the future," the Saudi minister said.

OPEC's conventional producers, for decades part of an oil alliance that has dominated the global energy trade, have been feeling the pressure from the emergence of shale oil.

Technological innovations have unlocked shale resources in North America and raised daily US oil output by more than 40 percent since 2006, but at a production cost which can be three or four times that of extracting Middle Eastern oil.

For years OPEC has helped control oil prices by increasing or cutting production, but experts say it is now signalling that it won't bear the burden for its competitors.

Qatar energy minister Mohammed al-Sada told the conference that OPEC's decision last month to stay firm on output was a "big game changer" for the global energy market.

"Cycles in our business are the norm," Sada said.

"The decline in oil prices will have a different behaviour this time... The role of swing producer (like Saudi Arabia) could be changing from government control to market dynamics."

OPEC seems determined not to interfere this time, even if the move to maintain output is hitting the pockets of some of its own members, like Nigeria and Venezuela, who have not built up the fiscal reserves of Gulf Arab nations.

Some reports have suggested the Gulf Arab nations are also trying to put pressure on the economies of energy-dependent Russia or even fellow OPEC member Iran, but officials have denied any political motives.

Experts told the conference the next 12-18 months will be crucial for the global energy market and that there are few signs the price will rise.

Weak demand in China -- where the economy is slowing after decades of spectacular growth -- is likely to continue, said Bassam Fattouh, director of the independent Oxford Institute for Energy Studies.

Competition for Asian markets has meanwhile grown, he said, after the production increase in the United States allowed it to reduce or stop crude imports from the Middle East, west Africa and Latin America.

"That has created a shift in oil trade flows," he said.

Other factors will help to keep prices low, he said, including the continued weakness of the global economy and potential output increases of around three million barrels per day if Libya, Iran and Iraq manage to restore or boost production.

In the long run, he said, the next few years could consolidate shale oil producers -- pushing the less competitive out of the market and strengthening those that remain.

"Some bankruptcies are expected but the developments may still create a much more resilient sector."

I figured we were in for a continued drop all the way to this past Friday 19, which was triple witching.

What I did not expect is the fed coming out and appeasing the markets on Wednesday the 17.

The feds are supposed to be neutral which is far from the case in my opinion.

I was talking about my echo.... I sent him a. Pm this weekend... No response...

I was talking about my echo.... I sent him a. Pm this weekend... No response...

I kind of figured that is what you were referring to however I really stand by my statement.

IMO the market should have continued the sell off all of last week and then rebounded a bit this week.

The fed stepped in and stopped the sell of by manipulating their verbiage.

• 2 weeks later...

Retesting the old lows would be crazy. The economic situation is nowhere near as dark as back then.

Anyway, the bloodshed continues, and I like it.

I´m reading up on some oil etfs and figuring out which one suites my time frame best, then I´m going to buy.

Retesting the old lows would be crazy. The economic situation is nowhere near as dark as back then.

Anyway, the bloodshed continues, and I like it.

I´m reading up on some oil etfs and figuring out which one suites my time frame best, then I´m going to buy.

If you look at USO and USL they are both lower than their 2008 lows when oil was even lower price per barrel. The ETF's dont track perfectly but I am thinking about it just like you...

Not a fan of these oil prices. I moved some USD I just had sitting in the bank account over to Norway earlier this year for no good reason except that I was at least getting 2.5% interest on it here. Took a $200k beating on exchange rate before I got back to USD (bought NOK at 6.00 sold at 7.30, it's currently at 7.70). Now I don't know whether to cut my losses or try to make it back.

post-8895-1420560035_thumb.png

So, can you buy and sell etf such as USO just like a stock? I see mentions of roll dates, ap $1000 buy fees, etc and all of which are a complete mystery to me. If anyone is willing to take a second to explain I'd be greatly appreciative.

Not a fan of these oil prices. I moved some USD I just had sitting in the bank account over to Norway earlier this year for no good reason except that I was at least getting 2.5% interest on it here. Took a $200k beating on exchange rate before I got back to USD (bought NOK at 6.00 sold at 7.30, it's currently at 7.70). Now I don't know whether to cut my losses or try to make it back.

Wow, I had no idea it's that high now :o