Laser Headlights from BMW Audi

porter

Amazing tech and BMW couldn't have made a cooler presentation!

The technology is outstanding. Usually I can't watch videos for more than 10 seconds :icon_mrgreen: this was amazing though. Wonder what a headlamp cluster costs?

The technology is outstanding. Usually I can't watch videos for more than 10 seconds :icon_mrgreen: this was amazing though. Wonder what a headlamp cluster costs?

Very cool tech, though as all things BMW just wondering how unreliable it will be (I'm on my 6th one).

Didn't Audi develop this?

BMW and Audi were both developing them at the same time. I think BMW may have been first to the punch. Right now it's still up in the air as far as who will be first to equip a production car with them. The i8 was supposed to have them by November, but they are still on hold. The R8 LMX is already claiming to be the "first production car" that comes with lasers. No matter how quick they arrive, those of us in the U.S. are once again left in the dark. :eusa_wall:

Maribel Sarabia came up with the concept back in 2003...with Osram, Philips, Automotive Lighting Reutilngen, Stanley Electric, Valeo all furthering research into the fields. If I had to guess BMW and Audi are sourcing the product from Osram, Phillips, or ALR.

Another interesting bit is that BMW released their first Lasers on the i8 just to jab at Audi..who promised that the R8 LMX would be the first car with Laser headlamps. The eight owners who purchased the i8s got the headlights at no cost. I am not sure if you can get the i8 with lasers right now.

The was an epic presentation...Now i really want an M4. I'm sure to get those lights now they'd charge $20k easily.

Not laser, but I replaced a complete headlight assembly in a 2014 E63 with LED lighting. It was $4800 for the headlight. There are no serviceable bulbs in the headlight.

Not laser, but I replaced a complete headlight assembly in a 2014 E63 with LED lighting. It was $4800 for the headlight. There are no serviceable bulbs in the headlight.

Makes sense it's a sealed assembly. Days of bulbs are over. Wheels may commit seppuka :eusa_think:

Makes sense it's a sealed assembly. Days of bulbs are over. Wheels may commit seppuka :eusa_think:

Wheels has no problem with LEDs and other tech in headlamps, as LEDs are excellent at directional light. Wheels resents having incandescent bulbs for the home being banned as they provide pure true multidirectional light the best and thus are not inferior to the alternatives.

So if these things are laser light, how do they work and not burn out people's retinas? My understanding is all laser light damages the eyes. Even weak pencil lasers will do damage to the eye, albeit in miniscule amounts.

Makes you wonder what they'll have in another fifty years (!!!).