Any veternarians in the house?

Roman

Hope he gets better soon RD! these pets are our children, never fun when they are sick.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So did I mention how much the non-generic medicine costs???

I think the vet said $20-30 PER PILL!!! And a dog his size would need 5 pills each day. For 140 days minimum. Yeah, thats like $14,000+++

The generic is a lot cheaper but still like $400/ month... :icon_anal:

Pet insurance. Granted, it's too late to enroll for this episode, but big dogs tend stumble into trouble somewhere along the line. Maybe look into it when you get him out of woods on this. I grabbed a 14k/yr limit policy, ~30-40 bucks/mo.

No pasta in the house???!! Sacrilege!

I know... but Im a diabetic about to do lasik... Zero sugar/carbs for the last 8 wks...

No pasta in the house???!! Sacrilege!

The boy had a microwaved bake ziti this afternoon... Ate half. I had to feed him from a fork, but Caesar had the rest... Including all the sausage...

Now its water... Not drinking... but will eat ice.

He didnt put him on any steroids, but he may need steroid drops for the eye if it doesnt respond. Hes on Itraconazole (An anti-fungal thats expensive as hell- I think its an AIDS med.), an oral antibiotic and an eye drop antibiotic.

He's pretty much ruled out cancer from the exam (and the eye involvement)... I think the one you mention would be specifically eliminated because he has zero indications of internal bleeding/shock which sounds like the first symptom.... His gums look good, his heart sounds good, etc... The only blood was a few drops he coughed up last week... (and the cough seems to have gone away).

Everything points to an infection of some sort.

Right now our biggest thing is the eating... Hes already lost a lot of weight, which we need to stop and reverse... But also the Itraconazole is ineffective unless its given on a full meal... It absorbs in fat digestion. This morning we literally spoon fed him a bowl of dinty-moore beef stew because nothing else worked... He doesnt want dog food... He doesnt seem to want to eat out of a bowl....

The good thing is he seems to be tolerating the meds.. No puking or anything, but he really seems lethargic today...

If they didn't ultrasound or MRI they can't see a small hermangiosarcoma on the organs or heart. They start out small and show symptoms like you talk about and then go wild soreading everywhere. There has to be ultrasound at least and preferably MRI to rule it out.

Disclaimer, I am not a Vet....

But I found this when you described an eye issue and no appetite

A relatively mild antihistamine, cyproheptadine (Periactin), has been found to stimulate appetite in many pets.

The boy had a microwaved bake ziti this afternoon... Ate half. I had to feed him from a fork, but Caesar had the rest... Including all the sausage...

Now its water... Not drinking... but will eat ice.

This problem I had with mine and he is super thin already, Italian greyhound, and I could not get him to drink. Eventually I had to take him in and he got IV fluid injections and had huge sacs in is skin until he absorbed it all. Its hit or miss with what works for different dogs it seems. I tried flavoring the water. And making the food watery too.

Update... He ate a McDonalds Tripple Cheeseburger at 6pm. He wouldnt eat it out of the bowl... I hand fed it to him...

But until a few minutes ago, he hadnt had any water... all day... got him up for his eyedrops, he went out, peed, came back in and drank for like five minutes straight... two bowls... :eusa_dance:

If they didn't ultrasound or MRI they can't see a small hermangiosarcoma on the organs or heart. They start out small and show symptoms like you talk about and then go wild soreading everywhere. There has to be ultrasound at least and preferably MRI to rule it out.

If he has that, there's no point in knowing.... I found another cancer thing that presents a lot like this and is prevalent in Berners.... And its 100% fatal and measured in days... Not months. Scared the shit out of me... Pity the asshole in the BMW that was tailgating me after I read about Histicytuc Sarcoma this morning...

I did chemo on Roman.

I won't do that again.

So... Right now we're hoping the vet is right, and that's what we're going to treat, because its survivable.

Testing for anything else is like painting a burning building.

Update... He ate a McDonalds Tripple Cheeseburger at 6pm. He wouldnt eat it out of the bowl... I hand fed it to him...

But until a few minutes ago, he hadnt had any water... all day... got him up for his eyedrops, he went out, peed, came back in and drank for like five minutes straight... two bowls... :eusa_dance:

Great to hear! :icon_thumleft: :icon_super:

I can only echo what others have said, as in hoping for a speedy recovery as I don't know anything about animals. How is his eye?

No dog can resist a burger! All great signs man, hope he keeps improving.

Hope he improves quickly, pet health scares are awful. Keep us updated. And make sure Tommy doesn't visit. If he's like his heir, it wouldn't go well to aggravate him any more :lol2:

Re: Food, maybe try Instinct Raw (http://www.naturesvariety.com/) I feed my dog the nuggets but they have cans too. You can order a can or two to test from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?u...ariety+do%2Caps

Also might try just canned pumpkin from the store. Can mix with rice or not.

He's doing much better... Still eating nothing but human food... Triple cheeseburgers and peanut butter... Pasta... Sausage..l pepperoni... No stomach upset... Figure I'll let him get well and put some weight on before we worry about the diet..l