Playing Sherlock Holmes

Rawr

So my car was stolen yesterday. There is a high chance the car is used for joyriding and will be dropped somewhere, but in the meantime I am thinking of ways to track them.

They used my cards online, at the same stores, and also at two gas stations. I have the times of the transactions. So what I'm thinking is ask the web stores to give me the Ip/locations if they are able, and have the cops look at the gas stations camera recordings if there are any at that time.

Just curious if anyone has done something like this before, and what else I could try.

Oh no! What did they take?

Was it an iPhone? If tracked my iPhone to a McDonalds before and caught the guys who had it!

Yes Iphone as well but it didn't have the findmyiphone set up and they're already turned it off.

I have some great leads... two gas stations and a hotel with exact times.. let's see what happens.

What kind of car is it? I only ask, because some manufacturers can have it shut off, or tracked, but I'm guessing yours doesn't fit into one of those categories.

There is a Lost Mode setting on find my phone that I believe ill work even if the phone is shut off and the app is not set up......google it.

Honestly it's pretty much a lost cause. I only hope you had good insurance.

We'll see...

It's a 04 lexus IS300 with carbon fiber (painted) hood. Also hood is lifted up from an accident a couple of weeks ago. The guys who took it are really dumb by what they did with my cards... so unless they know someone who knows what to do, its still around.

So my car was stolen yesterday. There is a high chance the car is used for joyriding and will be dropped somewhere, but in the meantime I am thinking of ways to track them.

They used my cards online, at the same stores, and also at two gas stations. I have the times of the transactions. So what I'm thinking is ask the web stores to give me the Ip/locations if they are able, and have the cops look at the gas stations camera recordings if there are any at that time.

Just curious if anyone has done something like this before, and what else I could try.

I highly doubt the web stores are going to give you IP/Locations over the phone without a warrant. Your better bet is too go get gas station footage and then trawl social media for these clowns. If they truly are that stupid there is no way they don't post something with your car in it to IG, FB, Twitter and the like.

I still hope you get your car back

Man am I sorry for you.

Have to ask though, what were you doing leaving your wallet, phone and credit cards in the car?

Hope you get things sorted.

Sorry to hear about this buddy! :( I hope you find the bastards and that at the very least, you get your car back in one piece (and if not, that you get a generous check from insurance to replace it!).

Couldnt the police use the warrant for the online retailer and find out he shipping addresses of whatever they ordered?

1. You've called the cops, right?

2. You've given the cops the information re: the card usage, right?

I highly doubt the web stores are going to give you IP/Locations over the phone without a warrant. Your better bet is too go get gas station footage and then trawl social media for these clowns. If they truly are that stupid there is no way they don't post something with your car in it to IG, FB, Twitter and the like.

I still hope you get your car back

There was a big thread somewhere on the net where a guy released the info on car forums and the stolen car was found. These days I think reddit is good for that.

Would you really want a stolen car back? Who knows what abuse it has suffered.

The charges will be reversed, file the claim and pray they don't find the car or it's striped or wrecked beyond repair.

Take the payout and get something else. It sucks, but is just a car.

Would you really want a stolen car back? Who knows what abuse it has suffered.

The charges will be reversed, file the claim and pray they don't find the car or it's striped or wrecked beyond repair.

Take the payout and get something else. It sucks, but is just a car.

Wait for it....

saupload_other_shoe_drop.jpg

Any unique aftermarket parts easy to sell would be helpful to know (wheels, hood model, radio, engine parts...) scour craigslist, and any local import forums.

Good news..car had been recovered, towed.

I didn't have comprehensive so I'm hoping car is not damaged.

My wallet and phone were hidden from view... why did I leave them? Because I was playing basketball amigo :)

And yes.. talking to cops...

I'll find them :)

Good news..car had been recovered, towed.

I didn't have comprehensive so I'm hoping car is not damaged.

My wallet and phone were hidden from view... why did I leave them? Because I was playing basketball amigo :)

And yes.. talking to cops...

Great :icon_thumleft: But yeah, NEVER leave your wallet and phone in your car, or IMO anywhere outside your home (and never put important information on your phone that could bite you if someone got it).

Three things popped into my head....

It sounds like a really cool car, why no C/C insurance?

The whole "track those bastards down and confront them" usually does not end up well.

Even though they are less than stand up citizens, take them to small claims court for the damage. A judgement will be with them for a very long time. You never know if they will inherit money, try to sell a house, get a real job.

To what end?

Never miss an opportunity to make a bad situation worse....

To what end?

Never miss an opportunity to make a bad situation worse....

Why is everyone reading into this as if I am going vigilante? I am saying I'll do everything I can to help the cops find them.

As for small claims, yeah, I can try suing them for everything they don't have. But you never know.

Why is everyone reading into this as if I am going vigilante? I am saying I'll do everything I can to help the cops find them.

I personally get excited when my cars get stolen.

This is me when I come out and my car is gone. That means one thing.....

I personally get excited when my cars get stolen.

This is me when I come out and my car is gone. That means one thing.....

LOL I thought I was the only one.