Looks like the Hands Up Don't Shoot crowd finally found one we can all agree on

RedGTS

He didn't have his hands up but was apparently unarmed and running away from the officer. WTF was this cop thinking?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Video doesn't prove murder or self defense. It is just a video of a cop shooting a civilian in the back.

Situation 1. Cop stops civilian. Civilian fights with cop. Civilian says he is going to kill cop and starts to run away for weapon. Cop shoots civilian.

Situation 2. Cop stops civilian. Cop says he is going to shoot civilian. Civilian runs away for his life. Cop shoots civilian.

You tell me which of these 2 (or a million other) hypothetical situations this was. Like I said the video just shows a civilian running away and a cop shooting him.

As soon ad the footage is clear you can see where the guy had just dropped the taser he took from the cop.

Murder. Shooting was unjustified. He keeps shooting after the perp is away from him. He makes zero effort to chase. He plants the tazer next to him.

Regardless of what the guy might have said, I don't think you (or a cop) can shoot an unarmed man in the back 8x while he runs away. There will have to be some serious extenuating evidence for the cop to not be in prison for murder.

This is blood in the water for Sharpton, and you know he's already in a PJ on his way there.

As soon ad the footage is clear you can see where the guy had just dropped the taser he took from the cop.

It looks more like the cop tried to taze him, and he swats it out of the cops hand. Tazr harmlessly falls to the ground. Cop slowly and deliberatly draws his firearm and begins to shoot him in the back when it is obvious he is zero threat...

You can tell by the cops demeanor after the shooting, he is in no way in fear... He doesnt reload. He doesnt keep away. He doesnt run after him. He doesnt keep the gun aimed at him... He calmly walks up to him and puts on a show of "put your hands behind your back!" for the arriving back up.

News reported the initial traffic stop for a tail light violation was in a parking lot of a business. So they had to get from there to this grass fenced area.

There is also discussion of a Taser being used or attempted to be used. In the video there are the small coiled wires of a Taser extended toward the man who was shot.

Honestly though, this guy is not a fast guy, you can see. Take cover, stay back, call for backup and set the perimeter. Likely he'll be rounded up and off to jail to explain why he ran. The officer was wrong. The threat, whether it truly existed or not, was in retreat and at that point shooting someone in the back is an action which will, as I've understood, leave the person with the firearm as the aggressor. Decisions were made and those decisions were wrong as far as this scenario looks to have played out.

Murder. Shooting was unjustified. He keeps shooting after the perp is away from him. He makes zero effort to chase. He plants the tazer next to him.

+1

Cop is an idiot. He MURDERED that guy for nothing. Pretty sad.

+1

He didn't murder him for "nothing". He murdered him because he didn't feel like chasing him.

If I had been shooting that video, I would have been legitimately afraid that that cop would shoot me next.

+1

This is why all cops should have cameras on them all the time that they cannot turn off. If he knew he was being watched, that guy would be still alive.

It was a cold blooded execution.

Unless this guy was stopped for armed robbery, murder or messing with kids (not just suspected) I see absolutely no reason to kill him.

Even if he did pick up the tazer as some say, he was running the fcuk away from the PO. In my mind a person running away is not really threatening your life?

I'm a white man with nothing to hide but in my time I have been stopped by the Police and made to feel like I was heading for serious trouble.

Suspect begins running away at :17

Cop takes until :20, including a full second to get a really good aim to fire.

Shoots 7 times, and then pauses, re-aims and fires again.

Both of those times he aims, are long enough for him to process a "shoot/don't shoot" scenario. The lawful answer both times is "Don't Shoot". He shoots anyways.

Then watch... His first reaction is to look around to see if anybody saw him... He doesnt stay tunnel vision focused on this lethal threat that hes so terrified of he must shoot it... He wants to know if he got seen. I dont think he sees the camera... I think we're partially hidden behind some foliage and trees...

Then... The first and ONLY time he runs, is when he runs BACK to get his tazr... Why run? Because its sinking in hes fucked, and he wants to put it next to the suspect before other officers arrive... But its too late... The black officer arrives.. Watch his body language... He kinda hovers and paces around... He's thinking. "How can I get this thing next to him without anybody seeing?" Finally he just does it like "fcuk it".

Horrifying

RIP Walter Scott

This is so f'ed up on so many levels.. I am with RD... Had I been the one filming , I would have hoped I would not have been seen by the cop , fearing for my life.. Wow!

Unless this guy was stopped for armed robbery, murder or messing with kids (not just suspected) I see absolutely no reason to kill him.

Even if he did pick up the tazer as some say, he was running the fcuk away from the PO. In my mind a person running away is not really threatening your life?

I'm a white man with nothing to hide but in my time I have been stopped by the Police and made to feel like I was heading for serious trouble.

had a busted tail light and a "family court warrant"- My guess: Owes back child support.

Guess I should have said "almost" all of us can agree on this one, lol. RD's analysis is spot on on all counts IMO. Even if the guy had had the cop's taser in his hand (which he didn't), it doesn't matter because he is running away. Zero reason to use deadly force. This would be very hard to justify IMO if the guy had been running away with a gun in his hand, assuming he hadn't fired it at anyone and wasn't fleeing from the scene of a murder, etc. And yes, I'm not sure I would have still been there filming once I filmed the shooting--believe I would have gotten the hell out of there very shortly after the guy went down.

Great points by RD, I was hoping you would chime in as I was curious if there was anything I (or anyone else) was missing from a legal perspective here. Like escobar and others said, that was cold blooded murder. And I sure hope the courts find it the same way. If I was that victims family, I'd lose ALL faith in the system if this guy gets charged with anything else.

Funny thing, I also thought the exact same thing about being terrified of the cop after he had shot that guy. That guy filming the video is lucky this murderer didn't turn the gun on him as well (maybe he didnt realize the kid was filming). Either way, I think he is very very lucky as this could have went bad for him as well.

The only question I have is, I want to know this cops prior use of force history... Based on how easily he pulled the trigger and the move to give himself an excuse, I can't believe this is his first rodeo...

The only question I have is, I want to know this cops prior use of force history... Based on how easily he pulled the trigger and the move to give himself an excuse, I can't believe this is his first rodeo...

I was thinking exactly the same thing. He never hesitated.

In his report he also claimed they administered CPR too.

I totally agree gunning him down was wrong in every way. But why the fcuk do you try and run from the cops?

Because they are trying to kill you . Next question ?