Looks like the Hands Up Don't Shoot crowd finally found one we can all agree on

RedGTS

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only question I have is, I want to know this cops prior use of force history... Based on how easily he pulled the trigger and the move to give himself an excuse, I can't believe this is his first rodeo...

CNN is reporting he has a relatively clean police record.

"Slager was named in a police complaint in 2013 after he allegedly "tased a man for no reason" before slamming him to the ground and dragging him, according to the North Charleston Police Department.

At the time, Slager was searching for a suspect who was described as being 5 feet 5 inches tall. The man he confronted was 6-foot-3.

Slager was cleared in that incident. In an unrelated incident, he was cited for failing to provide a police report."

Doubt there will be nearly as much protesting about this one, just because the cop has already been fired and is sitting in jail charged with murder. So they can protest the act, but not the response, which is usually their focus. If he were to get off or get some sweet sounding plea bargain then yeah, things would go nuts, but the odds of that are slim and none IMO.

If this guy gets off, it will make Ferguson look like a carebear convention.

+1 . If they don't charge him with Murder or this Cop does not go to jail for 15 years MIN. all hell will break lose.

The brothers in jail will have a field day with him. He will need to be in solitary.

I totally agree gunning him down was wrong in every way. But why the fcuk do you try and run from the cops?

People run from the cops all the time and the cops let them go, so he probably thought if he hauled ass he could escape the cop maybe.

+1 . If they don't charge him with Murder or this Cop does not go to jail for 15 years MIN. all hell will break lose.

The brothers in jail will have a field day with him. He will need to be in solitary.

I read that the mayor made an announcement that he is fired. I don't think he's gonna get off easy.

What I don't get is, especially with the aftermath of the Michael Brown incident, the man who was choked to death by the cop in NYC while saying, "I can't breath!", and then the Trayvon Martin incident (which wasn't a cop or a white guy, but was perceived by many to be a white on black murder), many white cops might be nervous to shoot a black guy who was attacking them. But shooting a black guy who was running away, I mean what was this cop nuts?

He didn't murder him for "nothing". He murdered him because he didn't feel like chasing him.

If I had been shooting that video, I would have been legitimately afraid that that cop would shoot me next.

+1 and +2. MURDER.

Yes.

+1 I'll bet he is or has some sort of substance abuse issue. On top of this his wife is 8 months pregnant. Which makes me wonder if he's

one of those cops who works out by sitting on a bar stool, unlike a cop who I ride mountain bikes with who is a seriously in shape dude

who would look at chasing the suspect down as a form of cross training. I don't think a lot of people or cops will be coming to this guys aid

even cops know when they have a bad apple. Trust me even a lot of cops are like WTF was he thinking.

I have seen too many of these situations when a routine traffic stop ends up with a dead civilian. I think the law enforcement's approach to these situations is wrong and obviously too violent and confrontational and that in turn intimidates and/or scares the suspects . I don't know too many civilians without any form of training who would be able to react calm and rationally to an overwhelmingly display of brute force.

The officers have the right to protect themselves, no doubt, but just about every video I have seen where a relatively minor offence gets blown out of proportion and turns ugly, the officer is going out of his way to inflame and provoke the suspect, instead of defusing the situation.

More training in people skills and less macho bullshit.

This was a cold blooded execution, poor guy.

Saw a high res version today. You can clearly see the tazr wires that somebody else mentioned... More than that you can see the tazr cartridge bouncing on the ground behind him as he runs away....

The tazr has two modes. The first is the "standoff" mode where barbs are fired at the suspect, they stick in the skin and wires travel back to the unit to send the electricity. The electricity is automatically paused for periods of time so that the user can't just keep jolting the victim to prevent a lethal shock. The first jolt is like five seconds or something like that.. The user can re-shock the victim, but there's a waiting period where they're locked out. This mode is accomplished by.a removable, replaceable cartridge that the user can "eject" for quick replacement.

The second mode is contact where the unit can be pressed up against the skin and deliver a jolt.

According to the videographer, when he arrived the suspect was already on the ground. It seems to me the cop tazed the suspect, he went down. Then, for whatever reason, the officer removed the cartridge (these things don't accidentaly fall out...).this is odd.. Unless one of the barbs was out (doesn't look like it in the video) or was blocked by clothing (suspect wouldn't have gone down) or, he just wanted to use contact mode for shits and giggles.... Anyways, the suspect got back to his feet... And as the cop was going to use it in contact mode, the suspect knocked it out of his hand... (A far cry from "he went for my tazr").

None of this changes the next part of the tape, which is the unjustified shooting, but it gives an idea of what happened up to that point...

People run from the cops all the time and the cops let them go, so he probably thought if he hauled ass he could escape the cop maybe.

Thats a game of odds you are playing with your life. They dont all let you go. And more and more in the media we see them shooting. I agree with your thoughts about why, i guess the point to my "rhetorical" question was why take the risk. As i said, this was wrong on every level, but its still a "mess with the bull, you get the horns" kind of scenario in my eyes.

He didn't murder him for "nothing". He murdered him because he didn't feel like chasing him.

If I had been shooting that video, I would have been legitimately afraid that that cop would shoot me next.

Yes that certainly was the case, and I can't say I blame him as if the cop saw him I wouldn't doubt that there would be two dead in this scenario.

The bystander who captured cellphone video of South Carolina police officer Michael Slager fatally shooting Walter Scott, an unarmed black man, in the back says he almost deleted the footage out of fear other police officers might retaliate against him.

“I thought about erasing the video,” Feidin Santana told MSNBC on Wednesday. “I felt that my life, with this information, might be in danger.”

http://news.yahoo.com/scott-south-carolina...-140923913.html

Yes that certainly was the case, and I can't say I blame him as if the cop saw him I wouldn't doubt that there would be two dead in this scenario.

The bystander who captured cellphone video of South Carolina police officer Michael Slager fatally shooting Walter Scott, an unarmed black man, in the back says he almost deleted the footage out of fear other police officers might retaliate against him.

“I thought about erasing the video,” Feidin Santana told MSNBC on Wednesday. “I felt that my life, with this information, might be in danger.”

http://news.yahoo.com/scott-south-carolina...-140923913.html

I applaud him for coming forward after he saw the police report and said, "That is not what happened." Doing the right thing is not always easy.

Police just released the dash cam. No confrontation at the car, Scott does a runner from the car when the cop is in his car checking his ID.

A scuffle can be heard off camera...that's it. Field of view from the dash cam is very narrow and since he left Whitey Ford playing in his car, the audio is hard to discern.

Link to video

Thats a game of odds you are playing with your life. They dont all let you go. And more and more in the media we see them shooting. I agree with your thoughts about why, i guess the point to my "rhetorical" question was why take the risk. As i said, this was wrong on every level, but its still a "mess with the bull, you get the horns" kind of scenario in my eyes.

+1 At this point it is clear that there are cops that make terrible decisions and the one thing in common with all these questionable deaths is that the person stopped acts like an idiot before the cop reacts. Why give them a chance to have to make the decision of what to do? I know plenty of people that have been pulled over or questioned by an over zealous cop but none of these people have ever been shot or roughed up because they do not do questionable shady stuff during the stop. Getting justice after the fact doesn't do anything for the dead.

Police just released the dash cam. No confrontation at the car, Scott does a runner from the car when the cop is in his car checking his ID.

A scuffle can be heard off camera...that's it. Field of view from the dash cam is very narrow and since he left Whitey Ford playing in his car, the audio is hard to discern.

Link to video

Now I really feel sorry for him... The last song he ever heard was Everlast. :eusa_wall:

At this point it is clear that there are cops that make terrible decisions and the one thing in common with all these questionable deaths is that the person stopped acts like an idiot before the cop reacts.

Totally. Takes two idiots to tango. Combining an idiot cop with an idiot perp results in compounded idiocy, and occasional tragedy.

Scary stuff... And we all just know, if this hadn't been caught on video. That cop would get off Scott clean from this. :( :( Then it had been the victims fault.