Home Automation

HannibalACP82

Ok guys and gals gather round for a Home Automation discussion. I am preparing to put the house into suspended animation for a bit as we move to the UAE. I've been looking at "low cost" options to automate some of the house functions in order to minimize the impact on being thousands of miles away. So far I've picked up a couple of items and I am waiting for Santa Claus Amazon to deliver them.

Nest Thermostat - Version 2

The reviews speak for themselves and it should allow the thermostat to learn our habits while we are still here. Once we are gone it will allow me to set it and forget it. I can tell it to maintain a temp no lower than 50 and no higher than 90 and leave it be. I can check in from time to time to make sure everything is going well and remotely change the settings whenever we are planning a trip home. It also plays nicely with...

Nest Protect - Version 2

These CO and Fire detectors offer a couple of features I liked. Once they will allow me to set up a mobile notification should they go off. This means that myself and my emergency contacts will be notified if there is a problem in the house and I won't have to wait for the new article to come out to find out my house caught on fire. Additionally they will work with the Thermostat to kill the furnace if there is a problem. Finally I like the fact that they have a motion activated light on them that can send me a notice if it goes off. Low cost alarm back up to tell me what is going on in the house.

Ring

Pretty cool doorbell that has a camera and a motion sensor built it. It will allow me to recieve a notification whenever someone rings the doorbell or if the motion sensor goes off. I then have the option of opening up a 2 way chat during which time I can watch a live stream.

Bluetooth Deadbolt

I am considering getting a bluetooth or wifi deadbolt so that I can unlock the door remotely if I so desire.

Wifi Garage Door

I am considering getting a wifi garage door module so that I can open the garage door if needed.

UPS Back Up

I am looking into a UPS back up solution for my router and cable modem so that if I loose power the router and the cable modem will stay on for a bit. This will at least allow me to keep an eye on the Nest Protects during that time.

Open to any and all suggestions. Pics to follow as I start to receive and install items.

Nest Thermostat - Version 2

The reviews speak for themselves and it should allow the thermostat to learn our habits while we are still here. Once we are gone it will allow me to set it and forget it. I can tell it to maintain a temp no lower than 50 and no higher than 90 and leave it be. I can check in from time to time to make sure everything is going well and remotely change the settings whenever we are planning a trip home. It also plays nicely with...

I've had a Nest Thermostat for a year or two and love being able to keep an eye on temp / humidity while out of town or turn the temp down while in bed if I get warm at night, but I have a big complaint in that it doesn't support remote temperature sensors. I'm in a 1 floor condo, so its not a huge issue for me, but I'd imagine this could be a big problem for people in 2-story, single thermostat homes. Given the Nests's connectivity, it seems like an easy fix, but they haven't responded to pages and pages to complaints from customers about it in their forums.

I've had a Nest Thermostat for a year or two and love being able to keep an eye on temp / humidity while out of town or turn the temp down while in bed if I get warm at night, but I have a big complaint in that it doesn't support remote temperature sensors. I'm in a 1 floor condo, so its not a huge issue for me, but I'd imagine this could be a big problem for people in 2-story, single thermostat homes. Given the Nests's connectivity, it seems like an easy fix, but they haven't responded to pages and pages to complaints from customers about it in their forums.

That was the only real negative I could find. Hopefully they address that soon or with a version 3 of the thermostat.

Who is the mfg of the alarm on the house? Not ADT, etc. Is it a Honeywell, DSC, etc?

I'm setting up my pad with a Z-wave controller that integrates through my home alarm. Allows me to remotely operate the alarm as well as any z-wave enabled devices.

Thermostats are easy and a fcuk ton cheaper than the nest. Nest will probably do z-wave soon, but I don't want to drop $500 on thermostats that I will override anyway (dual system for up/down stairs). I would make sure your home alarm is pretty tits, and absolutely run a dual-path (cellular/IP redundant) transmitter for the monitoring.

Schlage has a z-wave deadbolt with a touchscreen keypad, pretty legit for $200.

You can get various rocker and dimmer switches to remotely control lights, etc. $25-40/ea, fits in a standard box.

Garage door opener. Liftmaster 8500 with MyQ, don't bother with anything else. 8550 if you suck and want an overhead. :icon_mrgreen:

All my internet/wifi/alarm are on UPS, it's pretty inexpensive to get something setup that will run those systems for hours without fail.

Also I just got a skydrop irrigation controller free through our water district and it's money. Don't know if it's worth $280, but absolutely check it out.

Get one of these for your exterior porch lights, etc. http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Econoswitc...h/dp/B004AP92N2

comes on a dusk, will shut off at w/e time you program, and has a "vacation" mode which is more random.

I am looking at items that use the Z wave format so I can do future expansions to my home automation, with z wave being a standard format you can use multi brands of products on one network.

If you are away look into lighting and outlet automations.

wow Emanon beat me to the post. lol.

Who is the mfg of the alarm on the house? Not ADT, etc. Is it a Honeywell, DSC, etc?

I'm setting up my pad with a Z-wave controller that integrates through my home alarm. Allows me to remotely operate the alarm as well as any z-wave enabled devices.

Thermostats are easy and a fcuk ton cheaper than the nest. Nest will probably do z-wave soon, but I don't want to drop $500 on thermostats that I will override anyway (dual system for up/down stairs). I would make sure your home alarm is pretty tits, and absolutely run a dual-path (cellular/IP redundant) transmitter for the monitoring.

Schlage has a z-wave deadbolt with a touchscreen keypad, pretty legit for $200.

You can get various rocker and dimmer switches to remotely control lights, etc. $25-40/ea, fits in a standard box.

Garage door opener. Liftmaster 8500 with MyQ, don't bother with anything else. 8550 if you suck and want an overhead. :icon_mrgreen:

All my internet/wifi/alarm are on UPS, it's pretty inexpensive to get something setup that will run those systems for hours without fail.

Also I just got a skydrop irrigation controller free through our water district and it's money. Don't know if it's worth $280, but absolutely check it out.

Get one of these for your exterior porch lights, etc. http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Econoswitc...h/dp/B004AP92N2

comes on a dusk, will shut off at w/e time you program, and has a "vacation" mode which is more random.

The current manufacture of the alarm system is Mossberg and the backup is Glock. ;)

A better system will be installed before we move. I will check out that Schlage deadbolt you mentioned. I don't even want to talk about garage doors. Came home yesterday and the door moved 2 inches. Go inside and the torsion spring had snapped. Parts are on the way to fix that. I did follow your garage door thread and I am considering a new lift but truth be told my craftsman just keeps trucking along! We will probably build when we get back so I don't want to drop silly money in to this place in the mean time.

Irrigation is handled by God thanks to living in Western PA. Whats a drought? ;)

I like that porch light timer you linked to.

I use the apple based savant system. a little pricey but 99% trouble free!

im curious to hear about other products as well.

I've installed the wink home integration stuff for customers for their vacation homes and they like it so fsr. Haven't had any complaints. You can get thermostats, deadbolts, smoke alarms, receptacles, light switches, all kinds of stuff and it works off the app on your phone. Pretty nice system and not to expensive.

The current manufacture of the alarm system is Mossberg and the backup is Glock. ;)

A better system will be installed before we move. I will check out that Schlage deadbolt you mentioned. I don't even want to talk about garage doors. Came home yesterday and the door moved 2 inches. Go inside and the torsion spring had snapped. Parts are on the way to fix that. I did follow your garage door thread and I am considering a new lift but truth be told my craftsman just keeps trucking along! We will probably build when we get back so I don't want to drop silly money in to this place in the mean time.

Irrigation is handled by God thanks to living in Western PA. Whats a drought? ;)

I like that porch light timer you linked to.

Are you going to install the torsion springs yourself? If so, BE fcuking CAREFUL! And make sure you use solid steel bars to wind it, tubes/screwdrivers/socket extensions will slip out and probably fcuk you up in the process.

If the house is going to be empty indefinitely, I would get a some type of alarm system on it.

Have you considered renting the place out, if for nothing else than to keep it from sitting idle?

Are you going to install the torsion springs yourself? If so, BE fcuking CAREFUL! And make sure you use solid steel bars to wind it, tubes/screwdrivers/socket extensions will slip out and probably fcuk you up in the process.

If the house is going to be empty indefinitely, I would get a some type of alarm system on it.

Have you considered renting the place out, if for nothing else than to keep it from sitting idle?

I am going to install the torsion spring my self (well with my dad over for moral support) VERY CAREFULLY. I did tighten it once before when we bought the place 5 years ago. The new torsion spring I ordered has an upgraded cone on the winding side and comes with an install kit with bars specifically for winding it. Hell the wife took one look at the instructions and was like you should wear your bullet proof vest and your hard hat.

I am going to have a real alarm system installed.

I WOULD like to rent it out and haven't decided if I want to look for a friend of a friend or just hand it over to a management company.

I am going to install the torsion spring my self (well with my dad over for moral support) VERY CAREFULLY. I did tighten it once before when we bought the place 5 years ago. The new torsion spring I ordered has an upgraded cone on the winding side and comes with an install kit with bars specifically for winding it. Hell the wife took one look at the instructions and was like you should wear your bullet proof vest and your hard hat.

I WOULD like to rent it out and haven't decided if I want to look for a friend of a friend or just hand it over to a management company.

I would pay someone to do it. Those springs are deadly

Pay a management company to handle it, too many issues involving people you even remotely know. It will be the best 10% you ever hand over and you just write it off anyway.

Best advice I can give you is do not, under any circumstances stand directly in front of the winding bars. It's not difficult, but take your time and just be careful, putting 7-8 turns on a 4' spring can get a little sketchy.

Have you thought about some drop cams? You will be able to see whatever is going on right from your phone or computer. Also good if something happens at least you can go back to the tape.

Have you thought about some drop cams? You will be able to see whatever is going on right from your phone or computer. Also good if something happens at least you can go back to the tape.

I'm investigating the IP cameras still. Drop can integrates nicely with Nest but I have to pay them for the cloud recording. Not sure which way I want to go yet.

Pay a management company to handle it, too many issues involving people you even remotely know. It will be the best 10% you ever hand over and you just write it off anyway.

Best advice I can give you is do not, under any circumstances stand directly in front of the winding bars. It's not difficult, but take your time and just be careful, putting 7-8 turns on a 4' spring can get a little sketchy.

Good advice on the management company.

Not a chance I will stand in front of that torsion spring. My nuclear safety background will be going at 120% during this evolution.

Do the "remote control deadbolts" actually turn the lock? Or do they just allow somebody who's standing outside the door to turn the knob you've "released" remotely?

I have the NEST systems, and I love them. Work very well. Alarm system by ADT, all operated by our phone as well.

Bluetooth door lock?

How secure is it?

I saw a piece on TV about how automobile keyless entry system signals can be easily duplicated by "bad guys". I wonder if the same might be said about bluetooth locks for house/business/etc. (I know the automotive isn't bluetooth but its a signal)

I'd love a keyless entry house but hubby hasn't found anything he feels is "secure" (he is the most conservative guy on the planet when it comes to security).

I'll be following this thread with interest. Careful on the garage door - you've gotten some great advice above.

Bryan - check your inbox for my email....

Do the "remote control deadbolts" actually turn the lock? Or do they just allow somebody who's standing outside the door to turn the knob you've "released" remotely?

I have the Schlage deadbolts with keypad. They are motorized bolt strikers, and they should not bind too much going into the hole. They really work great when installed correctly, gives you lock/unlock status almost instantaneously. They also have that old style where someone has to turn the knob at a cheaper cost.

http://www.elanhomesystems.com/home.asp

We've installed about 50 of these systems so far. I've had it in my house for almost 4 years with no problems at all. Highly recommend it.

If you want a lead for a local dealer shoot me a PM with your location and I'll get the national sales manager to find a dealer close to you.

Bluetooth door lock?

How secure is it?

I saw a piece on TV about how automobile keyless entry system signals can be easily duplicated by "bad guys". I wonder if the same might be said about bluetooth locks for house/business/etc. (I know the automotive isn't bluetooth but its a signal)

I'd love a keyless entry house but hubby hasn't found anything he feels is "secure" (he is the most conservative guy on the planet when it comes to security).

I'll be following this thread with interest. Careful on the garage door - you've gotten some great advice above.

Bryan - check your inbox for my email....

BT is reasonably secure, but zwave gives me zero concern, run 128 bit encryption and never duplicate the signal codes.

besides, it's just a lock, my shoulder is pretty effective if I really want to open your door.

I have just about the entire house automated with Insteon, thermostats, wireless leak detectors, wireless door sensors, lights, plugin lamps, outside low voltage lights, sprinklers, even garage doors. I receive texts if certain doors are opened and if any water is leaking, good for aquariums!

One ISY994i unit is the brain and it's all accessible from any smartphone. Also keypads in the house for party mode, or an ALL on situation in case of an emergency.

I have Sensi theromostat in one house and radio thermostat in the other. Both are nice although I like the Sensi more because install didn't require a wire to be run to the furnace for power while the radio thermostat did. Extremely easy to set up both other than that step on the radio. Sensi even had a video tutorial step by step on their app (I did 3 so far for friends/family as well). Only $90 on sale.

Great thread Hannibal!! What wiring do you guys recommend to get in place during the building process to make sure the "guts" are there and then I can just use whatever system I chose? CAT5? Think that is what I used in my current house but building new now.

Great thread Hannibal!! What wiring do you guys recommend to get in place during the building process to make sure the "guts" are there and then I can just use whatever system I chose? CAT5? Think that is what I used in my current house but building new now.

Thanks!

When my dad built their retirement home in 06 he ran Cat6 and Coax to every single room. He then ran it all back to a patch panel in the attic. He can go up there now and plug and play to his hearts content turning on or off outlets as needed. He also took pictures of every wall when it was just studs with the electrical and HVAC run through it. That way whenever he has to hang something or he is looking to not run in to an issue he pulls up his pics and he has an "x-ray" view of what is going on behind the wall. Was really nice when my mom decided she wanted to hang some curtains and he and I didn't have to guess or use a stud finder to figure out how the windows were boxed in.