How much do you keep in the slush fund?

IanMan

I think you are much farther away from a Lambo than you actually think you are. These are not the types of questions that someone who is capable of buying one of these cars should be asking themselves.

I'm aspiring to be the guy in board shorts/tank top and flip flops getting out of a $500k ride. :icon_super: At some point I'll go full LV Eric and not even bother with the flip flops. :lol2:

The rest of it is a little silly though.

A classic.....i will have to try the barefooted thing at least once.

A classic.....i will have to try the barefooted thing at least once.

Serious question, how in the hell does Eric walk around barefoot all the time? I've been to Vegas in the summer. You could fry bacon on the asphalt. Getting from a pool to a chair is an iffy proposition.

I think you are much farther away from a Lambo than you actually think you are. These are not the types of questions that someone who is capable of buying one of these cars should be asking themselves.

I would disagree to a point, having a lot in common with Doc. I think Ian is doing a lot of the right things on his journey. He is getting to know the cars and the people who own them. I think a topic like this is just another forward step. I asked maintenance cost information during my journey too. Its just part of running after the dangling carrot.

My concern about Ian’s journey is the car he chose, for the same reasons I abandoned my thoughts of a Boxer. In 2-3 years, a rough driver Countach may be $500k, which is a TON of cash for regular working people. And its not just the purchase price, for people of regular means it might be their largest asset which creates its own issues. We already see less of them at car shows…..5 years ago there was always a Countach or two around, now they’re just garaged out of sight around here. At the Lamborghini experience last year, there was one Miura, one Countach, two Diablos…..and 100 or so Audi generation cars.

I think the people recommending a Diablo are on the right track as they are still priced where regular working people can stretch and purchase one. And there is a lot to love about them. You can go from an early car that has similar driving characteristics to a Countach, or get a later car which has so many improvements but still has that classic Italian personality that was lost in the next generation. Plus the ability to get an open air car adds a level of fun that even Countach and Miura don’t have.

I would disagree to a point, having a lot in common with Doc. I think Ian is doing a lot of the right things on his journey. He is getting to know the cars and the people who own them. I think a topic like this is just another forward step. I asked maintenance cost information during my journey too. Its just part of running after the dangling carrot.

How does comparing Doc to yourself prove that he is well on his way to attaining a car? You've been looking for almost half a decade now, have opined about every model Lambo has made since the Countach all the way up to the 640, and apparently they are all still out of reach.

+1

How does comparing Doc to yourself prove that he is well on his way to attaining a car? You've been looking for almost half a decade now, have opined about every model Lambo has made since the Countach all the way up to the 640, and apparently they are all still out of reach.

+1

And to clarify my comment further...

Doc strikes me as a good kid. He sounds like he works hard, and is legitimately interested in owning an exotic. I think advice for him to create a contingency fund to repair an exotic is bad. The guy is riding a bike to work. It's too tight, it's not the right timing. And advice like parking the exotic and working to save enough to repair it... that's brutal. That's not living, that's a prison sentence.

Like the other sentiments on here, the right path is work hard, ideally for yourself, create solid financial base, have predictable income stream, buy toys.

Allan's comment is correct.

Speaking of which small grip...Credit Scores are a joke. I was looking at getting a Nexus 6 and hoping on Google Fi for my cell service before leaving for the UAE. No big deal to lay the cash out for a phone off of contract. Then google offered the phone for free and they would just bill me over the next 24 months as long as I passed a credit check. I thought why spend $500 now if I don't have too.

They turned me down for insufficient credit history with an 810 score and the same credit card since 16 with 0 balance ever on it and no black marks on my credit.

WTF el goog????? You do know I pay you ever month for cloud storage right? Hahaha.

Dude, same thing happened to me!

I bought from Amazon instead.

Sorry for the tangent!

GOLD thread, sticky at the top! Should merged into a new member FAQ thread.

I put as much cash (hundreds only of course) as I can get into the frunk. When it gets less than half-full I replenish it.

:lol2: this post made my day.

And to clarify my comment further...

Doc strikes me as a good kid. He sounds like he works hard, and is legitimately interested in owning an exotic. I think advice for him to create a contingency fund to repair an exotic is bad. The guy is riding a bike to work. It's too tight, it's not the right timing. And advice like parking the exotic and working to save enough to repair it... that's brutal. That's not living, that's a prison sentence.

Like the other sentiments on here, the right path is work hard, ideally for yourself, create solid financial base, have predictable income stream, buy toys.

Allan's comment is correct.

Spot on, Allan and Porter are getting to be as wise as good old DaddyO.

Also, do it while you are single, with no kids it is easier to take chances, live frugally and if you make it and decide to get married....PRE NUP.

Also, do it while you are single, with no kids it is easier to take chances, live frugally and if you make it and decide to get married....PRE NUP.

:iamwithstupid: This x1000. I am taking full advantage of being single :eusa_dance:

How much do you keep in the slush fund?

Be able to pay cash for a Diablo, While you can still wright a check for an Aventador

Be able to have the money to afford at least 2 before you make the purchase one of.

I've heard people with A LOT of cash make that same statement many times. :icon_thumleft:

I've not even thought about a "slush fund" to maintain my cars...just doesn't work like that.