Ace's Movie Reviewz - Rogue One

Supercar Ace

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw it last night.

Rogue One > The Force Awakens

After seeing this, I honestly feel that TFA is lacking.

COOLS and NOT COOLS (without spoilers):

COOL:

- storm troopers can actually shoot and hit stuff

- good guys can get hurt too

- ROGUE ONE teams are pretty bad ass

- VADER scenes are awesome

- cool seeing the connection and lead into "A New HOPE"

- PETER fcuking CUSHING!!!!!

NOT COOLS:

- lack of john williams fanfare music

- no opening TITLE CRAWL (wasn't a HUGE deal... but its SUCH a part of STAR WARS... LOL)

- storm troopers still have idiotic dialogues that make them look like dummies

Please delete this post so that I can repost it as my own... As it should be.

Thanks!

Please delete this post so that I can repost it as my own... As it should be.

Thanks!

:lol2: Saw it again yesterday...Still AWESOME. Without any spoilers those last 3 minutes :icon_super:

As someone who has never seen Star Wars, what order do I need to see the movies in? This is way too confusing lol.

There's a few ways you can go about it:

1) Chronological (Release wise)

Episode IV A New Hope

Episode V The Empire Strikes Back

Episode VI Return of the Jedi

Episode I The Phantom Menace

Episode II Attack of the Clones

Episode III Revenge of the Sith

Episode VII The Force Awakens

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

2) Chronological (Movie Timeline wise)

Episode IV A New Hope

As a newbie, I would say go the chronological release way (option 1). You'll get to see the purity and magic of the originals and compare that to the prequels, and then you'll see the rival with the most recent two.

Episode IV A New Hope

Episode IV A New Hope

As a newbie, I would say go the chronological release way (option 1). You'll get to see the purity and magic of the originals and compare that to the prequels, and then you'll see the rival with the most recent two.

Thanks.

As someone who has never seen Star Wars, what order do I need to see the movies in? This is way too confusing lol.

Watch IV, V and then VI. Stop watching any after that because you're wasting your time :lol2:

Watch IV, V and then VI. Stop watching any after that because you're wasting your time :lol2:

Highly disagree.

Anyways saw Rogue One yesterday. I liked it, but preferred Force Awakens. Not really having the original characters involved is a big miss for me.

To me Star Wars is -and how I watch it- a muppet show. It contains an endless row of different characters from the actual muppet show + few annoying babbling trashcans, Indiana Jones and a golden gay robot. That but only located half in desert and half in space, or other cool screensaver backgrounds accompanied with dramatical orchestra music.

Other viewers seemed to be most aroused about lightsabering. As an adult I was not more amused than watching black and white VHS video about glow bowling.

I was enjoying it only because Daisy Ridley erected slightly my penis during viewing. This new flick seems to be missing petite girl and that's shame. I hope I had given the franchice a change when it had Natalie Portman in them. That might be only reason to watch some of the Star Wars movies personally. I might have had more highly erected view on the subject now.

I liked the movie. It wasn't awe-inspiring, but it was still great fun. Disney is doing an outstanding job. All the sets, props, and wardrobe are very authentic and balanced with the CG inputs. It's obvious that they went to great pains to make all of that work. Vader was simply outstanding, and James Earl Jones returned to make it 100% perfect. Peter Cushing's Grand Moff Tarkin was CG, but well done. It was a great first hack at CG humans in close-up faceshots, but I have a feeling it will look dated in 15 years. Also impressive were Red and Gold leaders in the cockpits, as if they stepped right out of 1977 and into this movie! They also went to great extremes to tie Rogue to EPIV, from the most insignificant lines of dialogue to the biggest plot points. EVERYTHING was gone through with a fine-toothed comb. The lack of John Williams music became very obvious, so I think they went a little too far there but it didn't ruin it. Hopefully, they'll adjust back a little for the next "story" movie.

Rogue was definitely a lot better than TFA. The characters were better developed and understandable. A lot of Rebels sacrificed their lives and this was a major point for the movie to make so there was a lot of death and defeat along the way. However, lacking familiar characters and familiar music meant that it would rely on sets and props to FEEL like Star Wars. It still succeeded and looked like Star Wars, but that's probably the whole point -- that it's supposed to make you look at the same Star Wars from a slightly different angle. The all-critical opening scene was symbolic of this movie's place in the saga, being understated and off to the side.

***SPOILER ALERT*** ***SPOILER ALERT*** ***SPOILER ALERT*** ***SPOILER ALERT*** ***SPOILER ALERT*** ***SPOILER ALERT*** ***SPOILER ALERT*** ***SPOILER ALERT*** ***SPOILER ALERT***

One nod to the geeks was Blue Squadron. Back in the day, the first X-Wing models were painted with blue stripes, which interfered with the blue screen shooting. They had to rework everything on the models and the script to reflect the decision to change to red; i.e. "Red 5 standing by." etc. etc. In Rogue, Red, Blue, and Gold squadrons were all fighting, and most of Blue Squadron rolled in on the shield gate. Blue Squadron was decimated in space, on the shield, and the rest were trapped in the blaze of death on the planet's surface. Hence, now the reason we don't have blue striped X-Wings in EPIV as only Red and Gold were left. Taddaaa. IOW, they were filling holes that people wouldn't even know were being filled. That's pretty hard core.

Episode IV A New Hope

Episode IV A New Hope

GOOD PART OF OPTION 1, is that you get to ENJOY all the "great" movie plot twists and reveals that make STAR WARS what it is/was.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend asked me to go see it. I walked in nonchalantly and didn't expect much.

It's actually not bad at all. I liked it quite a bit more than TFA actually. They've done a good job tying in the time line between EP III & IV. Certainly went through some lengths to echo the elements from the original trilogy. Not sure if I would recommend the 3D version though. They could have done a lot more with 3D on the aerial combat towards the end. The CG on Peter Cushing, while not perfect, is a huge step forward from what they have done with Paul Walker on the last F&F film.

Slight spoiler: the very last line of the movie was quite ironic consider who said it and what she said as compared to what happened to her in real life.

I seem to be the minority on this one, but I was a bit disappointed. I am a HUGE Star Wars fan from way back, and this one left me flat. No real character development (Yes, I know it is a stand-alone movie) and lots of things that, as a fan, I would have done differently. And as much as I hate to say this, there was too much Vader. I think he should have only been in the last scene he appeared in, and left out the others. It would have had more impact. But Hey, that's just my opinion.

Now the sets and ships were fantastic, and the action was totally badass. Also, it is certainly cool that Peter Cushing can star in a movie 20 years after his death. I liked it, it just wasn't what I expected or wanted from such a pivotal time in the SW story.

So...that and $1.75 will get you a Coke.

Took my dad to see it today (my 4th viewing)...I still really love this film. My dad had a blast and I think it's his favorite after Episode IV & V (and saw both on opening night back in '77 and '80). IMAX is the way to go for the visuals and sound. I now like this one ore than TFA.

Saw it yesterday, absolutely loved it. Saw it in 3D which really didn't add much to the movie. But still thought it was incredibly well done for the story line and was a fantastic story

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw it, interesting on some points people made, for example too much Vader as my mom said she wished it had had more of Vader. It was well-done IMO, I like it and TFA about equally. I like how they fixed a major plot hole that many fans had criticized over the years, namely how stupid could the Empire be to have built such a vulnerability into the Death Star.

Now if only they could find a way to explain the vulnerability of the Star Destroyers. I mean seriously, all you need do to take out those things is send a few rebel fighters in to target those two prominent shield generators at the prominent control tower, then destroy the control tower, and the ship is done.

I also suspect some political correctness with this film, given that we know from TFA that the Empire is not solely white, but multi-ethnic, as there is the black stormtrooper. But yet while the Rebel Alliance is portrayed as very multiethnic, the Empire in this film is portrayed as all evil white guys. Well if there are non-white stormtroopers, then there likely would be non-white Imperial officers as well, so they should include those IMO. But I think then there would be complaints, especially with a white heroine and evil Imperial non-white officers. Just seems like an unfair double-standard IMO.

I also suspect some political correctness with this film, given that we know from TFA that the Empire is not solely white, but multi-ethnic, as there is the black stormtrooper. But yet while the Rebel Alliance is portrayed as very multiethnic, the Empire in this film is portrayed as all evil white guys. Well if there are non-white stormtroopers, then there likely would be non-white Imperial officers as well, so they should include those IMO. But I think then there would be complaints, especially with a white heroine and evil Imperial non-white officers. Just seems like an unfair double-standard IMO.

It's a Sci-Fi movie of the typical good vs. evil genre, Wheels. Don't over-analyze and ruin it for everybody. :icon_mrgreen:

It's a Sci-Fi movie of the typical good vs. evil genre, Wheels. Don't over-analyze and ruin it for everybody. :icon_mrgreen:

Did some Googling on it, apparently the writers of it did purposely inject politics into it by doing that on purpose.

Did some Googling on it, apparently the writers of it did purposely inject politics into it by doing that on purpose.

And you fell right into it then...

And you fell right into it then...

Not sure what you mean by that, but I will investigate such things about movies I am fond of. No big deal in the grand scheme of things.