best cities in the country to live in

OVI

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I just don't know how good it is in other states but I've never found CA business issues to be that much of a concern. I'd much rather live in a shack by the beach in Malibu than a mcmansion in the middle of nowhere.

Not a fan of Sacramento though, you prob should get out of there. It's obviously tainting your view of CA lol.

I'd much rather live in a shack by the beach in Malibu than a mcmansion in the middle of nowhere.

After a brief sting in the mid-west I couldn't agree with you more, but that shack by the beach in Malibu costs about 10x the mcmansion in the middle of nowhere.

I rented a small beach house shack in Malibu years ago. Waves crashed on the rocks below the house. Highly recommend it. That said, I now live in BFE adjacent and wouldn't trade it for anything.

I rented a small beach house shack in Malibu years ago. Waves crashed on the rocks below the house. Highly recommend it. That said, I now live in BFE adjacent and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Montecito is where the regular millionaires are bullied by the billionaires.

Malibu is an amazing city from the coast to inland.

Where Kinsella lives is a slice of BFE heaven.

The unfortunate part is that it is expensive as shit to live anywhere nice with the view. It's a sobering truth. So until one has the means, it would depend on what they're looking for. I lived in a few places, and made a thread like this. At one point i wanted warm weather, and ocean, then that got boring when I realized there are no young professionals in fort lauderdale. Then partying got old. Then I wanted to see Europe again, then I realized Spain is nice but I basically am a foreigner again. Then the culture in St Peterburg is amazing and I understand the people but it's fcuking winter and snow again!

So yeah, good luck, may you be content with your journey and wise with your choices.

Maybe I just don't know how good it is in other states but I've never found CA business issues to be that much of a concern. I'd much rather live in a shack by the beach in Malibu than a mcmansion in the middle of nowhere.

Not a fan of Sacramento though, you prob should get out of there. It's obviously tainting your view of CA lol.

Agreed.

Sacramento is terrible. Maybe a new area of CA will be better for you.

I cant wait to get out of Cali. Whole place blows, especially if you live in the city. I now live in BFE, and I must admit it has its merits but not enough for me to want to stay. The biggest thing Ill miss is driving the canyons in my cars. Malibu is ok, but during the summer the traffic is terrible, and the beach is useless. Water is cold, the beaches are public so you can have any idiot out in front of your home if youre fortunate enough to have a sandy beach. Most of it is rocky. Doing business here is a nightmare. On top of over the top regulations, federal and state taxes, the city also charges you tax on the every dollar you bring in. With increasing wages, and the possibility of Cali going to war with Trump on immigration, things will only get worse. After 9 years here, and not one trip to the beach, its time to go. It will be more fun to visit every few months.

Ive been spending some time lately in Austin lately. Not really a fan. Very West Hollywood.

I love Miami, and South Florida, but the traffic has gotten unbearable. If I were to move back Id probably look farther north, or Naples, Sarasota etc.

I love AZ. Scottsdale is an amazing town. So much to do, low taxes, no traffic and back in LA, Vegas etc in 45 min.

Ive been spending some time lately in Austin lately. Not really a fan. Very West Hollywood.

What does this mean for those of us who've never been to LA? Would you move to Austin if you were in your early 30s?

What does this mean for those of us who've never been to LA? Would you move to Austin if you were in your early 30s?

It means there is a huge gay and hippie community. Lots of artsy fartsy stuff. I would not move to Austin at any age.

Damn. Thank God Allan never lived in N.Cal I could only imagine LOL. I was gonna say Allan sounds like he belongs in Texas. But he doesn't like it there either, wtf.

So Allan, where to next ? I must admit , I lived in Scottsdale for 4 months last year and it was pretty enjoyable. Summer was terrible but now that I'm back home I appreciate it a bit more. Loved Florida also. I think more about a move every day, but there is so much to do out here. Only thing I don't enjoy about where I live is the culture. Too predictable and it seems like everyone is the same. The bay area used to be really interesting. You would meet all people from different walks of life. Now, everyone is in tech. I was looking into Portland , seems as if all the interesting people moved up there.

Would shoot myself in LA.

What does BFE stand for?

From an internet urban dictionary

Butt fcuking Egypt. A phrase used to imply a location that takes longer to drive/walk/rollerblade to than is convenient or desirable.

i'm a huge fan of the western bacon cheeseburger, but often have to settle for jack's spicy chicken and curly fries (hold the tomato) because carl's jr. is all the way out in BFE.

From an internet urban dictionary

Butt fcuking Egypt. A phrase used to imply a location that takes longer to drive/walk/rollerblade to than is convenient or desirable.

i'm a huge fan of the western bacon cheeseburger, but often have to settle for jack's spicy chicken and curly fries (hold the tomato) because carl's jr. is all the way out in BFE.

Oh! Thought it was an abbreviation for an area around LA, and was wondering what it was since I hadn't encountered it.

West Palm

My particular favorite...Jupiter

Loved it....just north of West Palm and weekend drive to Orlando or Miami is a piece of cake.

Definitely miss it compared to Atlanta but c'est la vie.

Down sides are the drives are flat and straight and real estate tax and insurance (home and car) is a bit stiff.

Im looking at a move to Irvine if my offer gets accepted.... damn Allan your scaring me now :) been dreaming of moving to SoCal for the last 5 years... worked in Houston, New Orleans, Boston, New York.... still find SoCal to be the best. Granted cost of living where I am now is on par with LA minus the ocean, and the Sun. Used to be conservative but now is even more liberal then Cali so I say enjoy the sun and don't read the news

Im looking at a move to Irvine if my offer gets accepted.... damn Allan your scaring me now :) been dreaming of moving to SoCal for the last 5 years... worked in Houston, New Orleans, Boston, New York.... still find SoCal to be the best. Granted cost of living where I am now is on par with LA minus the ocean, and the Sun. Used to be conservative but now is even more liberal then Cali so I say enjoy the sun and don't read the news

Don't worry Irvine is about as red state as California gets. You'll blend in fine. You should also look at CDM and Newport which are just down the street.

I understand most of Cali is democrat, I feel if Im somewhere the weather is nice and there are things to keep me more occupied Ill be less into politics. End of the day... Im pro people being able to live their own life. Our "liberal" system has soooo many rules and the taxes are so high.. I don't know whats liberal about it? These protestors destroying communities is not cool. I feel if people are respectful of others, work hard, and are able to have a decent quality of life for their work.... everything falls into place.

Kinnesella, despite not having the exact same views I respect your opinion because I can see you are an educated successful person. I think this is why the politics on this forum have been relatively civil, since we all try to come from an educated point of view... how it should be

Im with you Allan. For you it was the beach for me up in nor cal it was tahoe and napa. But there is only so much I can do of napa without it getting boring, and tahoe i just done feel like driving up there much anymore. The negatives out weigh the positives for me. I was considering So Cal but then again i would still be in CA. So far without just going and dropping bucks on a new place and just taking a shot we decided that we will go live in a couple cities we are considering for about a month or 2 and see what we like. I am still intrigued by Nashville since they also just started taking away their state income tax completely, and the scenery is beautiful. Im still thinking Winter Park florida, but SoFl is warming up to me as well. I will miss the CA roads, but hell the roads are all crumbling and falling apart. So won't be much to miss soon.

Im with you Allan. For you it was the beach for me up in nor cal it was tahoe and napa. But there is only so much I can do of napa without it getting boring, and tahoe i just done feel like driving up there much anymore. The negatives out weigh the positives for me. I was considering So Cal but then again i would still be in CA. So far without just going and dropping bucks on a new place and just taking a shot we decided that we will go live in a couple cities we are considering for about a month or 2 and see what we like. I am still intrigued by Nashville since they also just started taking away their state income tax completely, and the scenery is beautiful. Im still thinking Winter Park florida, but SoFl is warming up to me as well. I will miss the CA roads, but hell the roads are all crumbling and falling apart. So won't be much to miss soon.

Been to Winter Park a few times. Nice suburb in Orlando but Id think too mundane to live permanently.

I have not been to Nashville but know a few people who moved there and love it.

Been to Winter Park a few times. Nice suburb in Orlando but Id think too mundane to live permanently.

I have not been to Nashville but know a few people who moved there and love it.

The older I get, the more inclined I am towards buying an island in the middle of nowhere. Seems like way too many people where ever you go these days in South Florida, North east, California etc. I've become too much of a pussy to endure the cold anymore, so the sights are set somewhere in the Caribbean with no one around. Stupid thing is that last property we looked at that fit the bill, was literally perfect in the morning when we first looked at it, the following morning when we went back, a migrant smuggling boat (home made) had washed up on shore and the occupants were no where to be found. Not exactly the most secure feeling when there is no one else even close to you for at least 10 miles.