Shooter in Las Vegas

Kerplop

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An interview with the police who breached the room just said that on the note he had written down his bullet drop and all his distances. Said the room had lots of power tools and with the amount of the guns and ammo he could have shot it out with them for hours.

Dope card.

Jeesh. Makes no sense. Scopes. That he’s clearly educated on using. But he can’t use them and go full Auto. Pointless.

Dope card.

Jeesh. Makes no sense. Scopes. That he’s clearly educated on using. But he can’t use them and go full Auto. Pointless.

That's it, couldn't remember what the term for it was. And it was 5 random officers, 3 of which who weren't at the scene when it started. They all got together and went up. 1 was swat and had a breach charge and blew the door. When they went in he was already dead. It wasn't necessarily the big armored up swat team they made it seem like initially. It took them 12 minutes from the start of shooting to get in the room.

Dope card.

Dope for different areas he wanted to reach out to in a general area to blanket the area where hundreds of targets are at is smart...does not take much aim or accuracy if you have hundreds of targets in that area. I really do not want to get involved here but you can not compare a bump stock to a real machine gun/full auto AR10 or 15. It just does not compare. The bump stocks are crap and a with a single stage trigger you can shoot just as fast...but never as fast as a machine gun. I would never own a bump stock. Their were NO machine guns/full auto weapons in his poessession. The shooter clearly had more time to shoot continuously and just stop for mag changes or move to other position in room. We are lucky he did not do that otherwise would have easily doubled those numbers of dead/injured...alot of down time between shots fired.

You truly have to be a major POS of a human to shoot innocent people indiscriminately, certainly mentally sick!

If he only swallowed the end of one of his guns before he killed all those innocent people :(

Question, isn't it relatively easy to convert a gun to full auto? If you are trying to kill as many as possible and already know you won't live another hour. Why not illegally convert your guns to full auto?

Dope for different areas he wanted to reach out to in a general area to blanket the area where hundreds of targets are at is smart...does not take much aim or accuracy if you have hundreds of targets in that area. I really do not want to get involved here but you can not compare a bump stock to a real machine gun/full auto AR10 or 15. It just does not compare. The bump stocks are crap and a with a single stage trigger you can shoot just as fast...but never as fast as a machine gun. I would never own a bump stock. Their were NO machine guns/full auto weapons in his poessession. The shooter clearly had more time to shoot continuously and just stop for mag changes or move to other position in room. We are lucky he did not do that otherwise would have easily doubled those numbers of dead/injured...alot of down time between shots fired.

Bingo. I get the impression the bump-stocks are more for those trying to impress other people at the range, piss away ammo or "feel like a guy with a big dick" for whatever reason. No serious shooter would have one for a legitimate purpose that I can surmise.

Question, isn't it relatively easy to convert a gun to full auto? If you are trying to kill as many as possible and already know you won't live another hour. Why not illegally convert your guns to full auto?

No.

You can get an (illegal) full Auto sear easy enough. Installing it properly isn’t that easy if you don’t know what you’re doing. Getting it to time correctly is a challenge even for people who do know what they’re doing.

Nothing in this realm is as easy as critics (who have never fired an ar let alone converted one to rock n roll) say it is.

+1. And not only that, apparently he thought when he saw the security guard in the hallway and shot him in the leg that entry into his room was imminent, and went ahead and offed himself. But it was another hour before LE actually entered his room. Now maybe if he had kept shooting they would have gotten in there faster than that, but if he had kept firing he clearly could have fired 2x or 3x the number of rounds he did before they stopped him (he only fired for 10 minutes).

+1. And not only that, apparently he thought when he saw the security guard in the hallway and shot him in the leg that entry into his room was imminent, and went ahead and offed himself. But it was another hour before LE actually entered his room. Now maybe if he had kept shooting they would have gotten in there faster than that, but if he had kept firing he clearly could have fired 2x or 3x the number of rounds he did before they stopped him (he only fired for 10 minutes).

It’s crazy. The security guard was up there to check on an unrelated open door alarm and happend upon the shooter.

It was not an hour, it was 12 minutes according to the police who went in

It was not an hour, it was 12 minutes according to the police who went in

No. The police may have been talking about 12 minutes until the first officers pinned down where he was and were in the vicinity of his room, as there were a couple of officers with or near the security guard who was shot 12-13 minutes after he started shooting (and 2-3 minutes after he stopped firing), but they didn't blow his doors and enter the room for another hour, after they got several additional officers (SWAT etc.) on scene.

No. The police may have been talking about 12 minutes until the first officers pinned down where he was and were in the vicinity of his room, as there were a couple of officers with or near the security guard who was shot 12-13 minutes after he started shooting (and 2-3 minutes after he stopped firing), but they didn't blow his doors and enter the room for another hour, after they got several additional officers (SWAT etc.) on scene.

You're right. It took 75 minutes. They have a timeline of the events here. Tells a slightly different story than what they said in the interview.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-las-vegas...-htmlstory.html

The timeline just changed a bit after tonight's briefing.

The security guard was shot 6 minutes BEFORE the concert was fired upon. That puts time around 9:59pm. Guard was shot through the door. The security guard then radioed down what happened to hotel security. Police did not know he he been shot until they encountered the guard when they reached the 32nd floor. Police said they were fired upon while in the hallway, an estimated 200 rounds.

This might also account for the different sounds in videos that we've seen. He was firing toward the hallway at the police at some point.

The fact he had to fire at police to suppress their advancement and switch back to firing at the concert, I believe helped give the pauses essential for many concertgoers to run and escape.

The timeline just changed a bit after tonight's briefing.

The security guard was shot 6 minutes BEFORE the concert was fired upon. That puts time around 9:59pm. Guard was shot through the door. The security guard then radioed down what happened to hotel security. Police did not know he he been shot until they encountered the guard when they reached the 32nd floor. Police said they were fired upon while in the hallway, an estimated 200 rounds.

This might also account for the different sounds in videos that we've seen. He was firing toward the hallway at the police at some point.

The fact he had to fire at police to suppress their advancement and switch back to firing at the concert, I believe helped give the pauses essential for many concertgoers to run and escape.

Saw that a little while ago, and yes that puts things in a different perspective. Not sure why the shooter shot the security guard before he had even started his main attack, but presumably he assumed the guard (who was up there for an unrelated reason) was onto him somehow even though he hadn't started firing. But it also sharpens the question of why he stopped shooting when he did, after only 10 minutes. With the original timeline showing him stopping around the time he shot the guard, I was assuming he thought an assault on his room was imminent and killed himself, but if he didn't even start the attack until after that, and no one appeared outside his room or tried to come in for an hour after he stopped, why did he stop firing and when did he kill himself? He apparently still had plenty of ammo.

The three officers zeroed in on the 32nd floor just after a hotel-security guard named Jesus Campos encountered heavy fire--200 rounds shot into the hallway from behind Stephen Paddocks's door.

Officers Bitsko and Newton ran to the stairs. Detective Donaldson and a SWAT officer, Levi Hancock, did too. This ad-hoc group of officers didn't know what they would face, but they soon discovered Paddock had barricaded the stairwell door.

Joshua Bitsko: He had screwed shut the door-- with a piece of metal and some screws.

Matthew Donaldson: In the stairwell.

Joshua Bitsko: In the stairwell going out to the hallway right by his door.

Dave Newton: 'Cause he knew we'd be coming out that door to gain entry into his door. So he tried to barricade it as best he could. But thankfully Levi had-- a pry bar and was able to easily pop that door.

The K9 cops, the detective, and the SWAT officer were now a team.

Bill Whitaker: So essentially you became the SWAT team.

Dave Newton: Uh-huh (affirm)

Joshua Bitsko: Yes.

Matthew Donaldson: Pretty much.

[Police radio: You need to be careful of booby traps...are you coming up the stairwell of coming up the elevator.]

Bill Whitaker: I heard on the radio calls that they were telling you to watch out there could be booby-traps.

Dave Newton: There's a room service cart with wires going on it underneath the-- door. There was something black on top of the cart. So initially I'm, you know, I'm thinking, "This is a booby-trap. It's-- it's gonna explode."

Bill Whitaker: 'Cause it looked suspicious?

Dave Newton: Very suspicious. It turned out to be cameras on the food tray.

Bill Whitaker: What'd you see?

Dave Newton: I could see the suspect's door was just riddled with bullet holes coming out. it looked like Swiss cheese.

Bill Whitaker: He had the advantage.

Dave Newton: Yeah, he-- 'cause he knew we were coming and we were gonna have to come through. We didn't know where he was gonna be in that room.

Joshua Bitsko: It's like a deadly game of hide and seek because when you're the one hiding you always know a person's looking for you it's-- before they see you. I remember thinkin', "Man, I wish I had my dog with me," because, you know, it's nice to have him lead a team.

Levi Hancock, the SWAT team member, was armed with explosive charges to blow through doors. Around 11 p.m. the team began to execute a plan. They had heard no gunfire since reaching the hallway, and had no idea what or who was behind the door. David Newton had a hand-held ballistic shield.

Dave Newton: Now I'm standing out in front of this bullet-ridden door with nothing except for a shield that's, you know, I'm hoping would help a little bit. And-- that was the point I said-- I just start praying that nothing goes off of phone wise or radio or anything else 'cause we're trying to be as quiet as we can 'cause we didn't want him to know we were out there and start spraying at us. And I'm watchin' Levi put the charge on 'em. I'm like, "Hurry, hurry, hurry, but be quiet." And-- so then we got it hung and then we retreated back into the stairwell, blow the door.

So he shot the random security guy before firing into the crowd?! How long did he have to fire into the crowd?

Seems like a long delay to get into that room while innocent people were getting shot.

Nothing makes sense.

If you're putting cameras to see who's coming...that's to make sure you have time to kill yourself, right? But at any time he could accomplish this by taking a step backward into the open window, or simply pointing a gun at a cop. So, cameras just to make sure they didnt sneak up on him as he had his back turned? Makes no sense as he would be looking out the window anyway. Cameras to make sure they didnt get there before he started shooting? (paranoia they figured he had something in the bags on cameras?)

You have a shit ton of guns. Cameras wired up. You’re planning on doing something bad. But. You haven’t actually done anything bad yet.

Why fire at the security guard?!?

Guy just murdered 59 innocent people for no reason and were trying to make sense of it.

Side note: wow, my house just shook. Earthquake while typing this? lol stay posted.

You have a shit ton of guns. Cameras wired up. You’re planning on doing something bad. But. You haven’t actually done anything bad yet.

Maybe he already knocked the windows out.

Maybe he was paranoid and thought somehow he had been discovered.