R8 V10 vs. Lamborghini discussion

gtelesto

Just for the record,

Audi has long surpassed BMW as more prestigious. The pecking order has changed to Mercedes, Audi and then BMW. At least that's the way it is here and in northern Germany. Audi has greatly improved their cars since 2003, and they are getting more and more beautiful with every model. BMW's doesnt even compare in my eyes. Maybe the M3 a little, but certainly not the other models. Yiirk.

The Audi R8 has one of the coolest frontends on any mordern car.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is ABSOLUTELY no denying that the R8 was initially aimed 99% at the 911 (Before they literally got owned that is).....

And there is ABSOLUTELY no doubt that they failed. (Right or wrong)

They tried to recreate the uniqueness of the 911's design, but made one crucial mistake....it lacks simplicity, and hence became quite the opposite....busy and complicated. Front to back is a blatant mishmash of different design inputs.

As a result of this, unlike the 911, it will date BADLY.

The R8 is a fast golf.....however good, which will be its downfall in its current pricerange. There was and is no MASS market for it.

Dont get me wrong, audis are great cars, the rs4's etc....are excellent, and thats where they should keep spending their money.

To overall sales similar or small performance difference don't make that big of a difference.

(sorry for using top gear, but the information is easily accessible to me i don't want to make anything up)

in top gear they compared Ferrari 575 to a Plastic mess-06, and more recently a lp640 vs a zr1

now performance wise in both test they are similar, but not many would decide on the POS if they originally were looking at the Italian.

It's also like the sl65 its priced around a lp560, i'm sure some people do, i'm sure most just say they are lookin at an sl or a lp, but they aren't really comparably imo, an Italian exotic or a german super roadster there is no competition. They are both great cars, but aimed at different people.

There is no doubt the r8 is an outstanding car, and it may take some sales away form the g, but for the bulk of it, i dont see them being competitors regardless of how close the performance is, its not the only thing that matters.

No, I gotcha the first time. Again, I do not feel the R8 will cannibalize new (or used) Lamborghini sales.

You know who the R8 appeals to? The guy that has been driving an XKR, or SL55/63, or especially the 911 in God knows how many iterations. It's that guy who wants to be seen in something unique without taking the dreadful and nerve-wracking step into true exotic territory - that where Ferrari and Lamborghini live.

That guy won't buy a Ferrari or Lambo because he fears big maintenance bills, he fears the neighbors will talk and think he is drug dealer, and he cannot even imagine driving an "obnoxious" orange or yellow car to work or to the mall with a straight face.

It's that guy who has been leasing his 911 Turbo who goes home to his wife and tells her he saw something unbelievable on the road, and that it's called an R8. And because it's an Audi and not a Lamborghini, the wife lets him get it because she knows Audis are reliable and the new lease payment isn't going to cut into their two young kids' private piano lesson budget.

One more thing - you know who else the R8 appeals to? That guy's WIFE. Because she actually can see herself driving it around town without having a heart attack out of fear of scratching it.

Now I might be wrong... but I don't think I am.

DEAD ON.

Everytime i see a new TT i think its an R8...thats only going to get worse if you see the body revisions planned for the new TTSR (or RS or whatever they call it), the front end is very R8 "light". hell even the A4 is driftin that way with its headlights.

The R8 is a car I'd get for the wife (same for the Gallardo)...but then she'd tell me that she's never like the TT and isnt into this either. ( she wants a orange diablo 6.0 :icon_mrgreen: )

Everytime i see a new TT i think its an R8...

Same here, but I would change the TT for the A5/S5. Almost the same at night, if you look at the front of the car.

i worked for audi for 4 years

and have personally put nearly 1000 hard miles on a v8 r8.....

the car is beautiful to look at. its as fast as an m3... and handles like a 911...

however, its not a gallardo...

the r8 v8 LOOKs better than a gallardo, except the lp560...

as far as the r8 10 canabalizing sales of the gallardo

i dont think it will happen, because many people who guy lambo's are buying them for the badge, and status.... thats just the way life is

i think the r8 v8 is a great car, but the think the v10 was a mistake .... i also think the r8 is extremely over priced .....

if they made it an $80k car, it would be a fantastic deal ...

also... as far as audi being sub par in europe

Audi is the #1 luxury/sport brand in europe...

BMW & Mercedes benz are used as taxi cabs.. whereas audi's are considered very presigeous and "top of the line"

having said all that, i dont plan on ever buying another audi again..... unless it be an "rs" badged model...

in my opinion, everyday audi's are extremely underpowered and are big fat pigs

... this is coming from someone who was the biggets fan of audi, at one point illusioned with the idea that a 4000lb audi rs4 would outhandle a gallardo LOL

I bought an R8 for Sweden as an everyday car and I love it.

I think the key differentiator between the buyers will be whether you're looking to use the car as a daily driver or not. If you are, the R8 is a much more practical and comfortable proposition. If you're looking for a weekend/occasional/fun car, the Lambo is a much more sexy, exciting pick.

It really doesn't have to be either or. The G/R8 platform is so good that I don't really mind them rendering it useful for different purposes. I should know, I own three of the same car now (g spider/lp560/r8) :)

Audi is the #1 luxury/sport brand in europe...

BMW & Mercedes benz are used as taxi cabs.. whereas audi's are considered very presigeous and "top of the line"

I dissagree.....it is simply an alternative to BMW or Merc. They are cheaper at the 'top of the line' end...and not quite there yet. Yes, their RS range does set them apart.

I just picked up an R8 a little under a month ago and I love it. I use it as my daily driver and it was a tough decision between the R8 and G-Car but in the end the R8 won because of its role as a daily driver. I had the dealer throw on some sottozeros and it has been dealing with the snow in here in the NE like a champ. I loved it so much I went it last week and orderd the v10 and will give this to the wife. I still have the LP640, it's nice and warm in the garage with the battery tender hooked up to it. Here are a couple of pictures of the R8.

Congrats, I like the red with carbon fiber side blade, good choice. You will love the V10! :icon_thumleft:

Thanks Vroom :) Truth is everyones tastes are different and that's what makes being a consumer so wonderful. The choice. I personally hate Porka's, I see them everywhere. They don't excite me anymore, haven't since I was 10. The R8 gets almost as much attention as the LP640, and I haven't seen another one on the road since they started selling here in the U.S. The V10 will a custom color, I am thinking Nogaro Blue with Oxygen Silver. Anyway I am happy with the purchase and feel more comfortable parking it everywhere. I think becuase "it's an Audi" I feel more comfortable driving it day to day. I got the dealer to throw in AudiCare so that means I pay nothing out of pocket for 4 years. All maintenance is included. I get to drive a pretty exclusive car daily and not have to worry about miles or maintenance. Pretty good scenario all around in my opinion.

So much reason in this thread...From both sides of the argument. Mr.Vroom makes some great arguments and from a perspective of someone who has had some time behind the wheel its very persuasive to hear the owner of a TT G speak so highly of a car.

For me not being a owner,I guess as a fan it simply comes down to the looks department for me since the specs and numbers are so close.

The Audi is a attractive but I think sitting next to a bright orange or green G it would get over looked like a fat chick at a pool party. And for some people,maybe keeping the slightly lower profile is what there looking for.

That's ok some people ignore the fact that he has a TTG and has driven this car for 2 weeks. Those people obviously

are NOT objective they know more than VROOM.

the r8 v8 LOOKs better than a gallardo

I agreed with a lot of the sentiments in your post, however the line above clearly indicated that you are a chronic glue-sniffing addict and need to stop.

I agreed with a lot of the sentiments in your post, however the line above clearly indicated that you are a chronic glue-sniffing addict and need to stop.

:iamwithstupid:

Park the two next to each other and it will be 999 - 1 for which gets looked at.

The "1" is Nima. :lol2:

:iamwithstupid:

Park the two next to each other and it will be 999 - 1 for which gets looked at.

The "1" is Nima. :lol2:

yes I am the One, don't be hatin :icon_mrgreen:

the R8 isnt aimed at the Gallardo though. and as it stands, year for year, the Gallardo is substantially quicker.

put an R8 next to its rightful competition though, the 911, and it will be 1000-0 for which gets looked at.

put an R8 next to its rightful competition though, the 911, and it will be 1000-0 for which gets looked at.

I would agree with that.

yes I am the One, don't be hatin :icon_mrgreen:

the R8 isnt aimed at the Gallardo though. and as it stands, year for year, the Gallardo is substantially quicker.

The V8 version perhaps, but not the V10.

I'd say the V10 has the 911TT, F430, and Gallardo in it's sights. It's price alone nearly dictates where it lies in the field. ($150-170K)

There is ABSOLUTELY no denying that the R8 was initially aimed 99% at the 911 (Before they literally got owned that is).....

And there is ABSOLUTELY no doubt that they failed. (Right or wrong)

They tried to recreate the uniqueness of the 911's design, but made one crucial mistake....it lacks simplicity, and hence became quite the opposite....busy and complicated. Front to back is a blatant mishmash of different design inputs.

As a result of this, unlike the 911, it will date BADLY.

The R8 is a fast golf.....however good, which will be its downfall in its current pricerange. There was and is no MASS market for it.

Dont get me wrong, audis are great cars, the rs4's etc....are excellent, and thats where they should keep spending their money.

You're so far off, it's ridiculous.

No mass market for it? Have you looked at sales? It's a $130+ car. There will never be a mass market for one. However, in terms of exotic mass markets, it certainly has a bigger one than most.

I take it that you didn't try to get one before the financial crisis took a turn for the worse, because it was certainly a longer wait time than any other exotic on the market.

The only reason the 911 doesn't age is because they don't change it.

Thanks Vroom :) The R8 gets almost as much attention as the LP640, and I haven't seen another one on the road since they started selling here in the U.S. The V10 will a custom color, I am thinking Nogaro Blue with Oxygen Silver. Anyway I am happy with the purchase and feel more comfortable parking it everywhere. I think becuase "it's an Audi" I feel more comfortable driving it day to day. I got the dealer to throw in AudiCare so that means I pay nothing out of pocket for 4 years. All maintenance is included. I get to drive a pretty exclusive car daily and not have to worry about miles or maintenance. Pretty good scenario all around in my opinion.

I was surprised at all the attention the R8 was getting, as much as my TTG, which is a tricked out ride for sure! When you get your V10, a few simple mods(ecu remap and exhaust) will make it as fast as a LP560. Audi intentionally detuned the car, but essentially you are buying a LP560 with all the rough edges removed.

The R8 generates a lot of hate here, understandably so, but I challenge anyone to put some seat time in one(even the V8, which I have also driven) and not come away from the experience loving the car and respecting its capabilities.

I was surprised at all the attention the R8 was getting, as much as my TTG, which is a tricked out ride for sure! When you get your V10, a few simple mods(ecu remap and exhaust) will make it as fast as a LP560. Audi intentionally detuned the car, but essentially you are buying a LP560 with all the rough edges removed.

The R8 generates a lot of hate here, understandably so, but I challenge anyone to put some seat time in one(even the V8, which I have also driven) and not come away from the experience loving the car and respecting its capabilities.

I would agree with everything you stated here, Bernard. The car is very capable and I will admit that after tracking and daily driving the car for a few months, the only three things it lacked were power, snob appeal, and more masculine styling, at least to me. The interior was very nice and the ride and handling were excellent.

The only photo I've been able to find with them together:

http://www.autospies.com/news/Comparison-A...-Gallery-11231/

Here are a few more, my G and a friends R8. As for getting looks, we "valet tested" the cars at Roys, and I have to say the attendants were all over the R8, probably due to its novelty. On the other hand, the cute hostess was a lot nicer to me!

DSC00674__Large_.JPG

DSC00680__Large_.JPG

Here are a few more, my G and a friends R8. As for getting looks, we "valet tested" the cars at Roys, and I have to say the attendants were all over the R8, probably due to its novelty. On the other hand, the cute hostess was a lot nicer to me!

I think your pictures say it all!!

All I see is the Lamborghini :icon_super: