McLaren MP4-12C master thread, details

capt_chaos

You know seeing how good this thing apparently is I have to question how much involvement McLaren actually had with the SLR.

Murray has talked about it more in recent years, saying his relatively small team was constantly countered by MB execs who kept enforcing "foolish" add-ons in the car that they felt were needless and added a significant amount of weight.

Overall he's happy with the result, but feels it is abolutely "compromised" versus what it could have been (his words).

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Murray has talked about it more in recent years, saying his relatively small team was constantly countered by MB execs who kept enforcing "foolish" add-ons in the car that they felt were needless and added a significant amount of weight.

Overall he's happy with the result, but feels it is abolutely "compromised" versus what it could have been (his words).

I believe it 100% man.

They should have left him the fcuk alone. The guy knows how to build cars much like Michelangelo kinda understood how to paint.

:iamwithstupid:

Mclaren built a Mercedes....not a Mclaren :lol2:

I'm stunned. Some serious numbers. It's hard to imagine Ferrari and Lambo not turning to turbos in the very near future, I just don't see broad flat and high torque numbers coming from nat asp engines. Impressive innovative suspension and brake systems too.

Well I am already sold on the car. I just need a dealer to take my deposit so I can get one of the first cars.

I might be able to help you with that... PM me..

Well I am already sold on the car. I just need a dealer to take my deposit so I can get one of the first cars.

let me know, pm me or allan, i get you the right guy.

thanks

alex

Im curious whether or not it will actually perform as claimed. 0-100 in 3.1 seconds for a RWD car? This will be interesting. "The only real flaw we can find with the MP4-12C is its flawlessness. It's like a child prodigy; generally begotten by hyper-ambitious parents, staggering in its abilities, perfect in its behaviour, but oddly cool and aloof, and difficult to warm to" GTR-syndrome?...."no one understands the emotional side to these machines like Ferrari does, and the MP4-12C, for all its brilliance, serves as a reminder. It’s not unemotional, it sounds great in ‘track’ mode, it steers beautifully and its engineering is intriguing – but it is a car you admire deeply rather than one you sell your family to own"

edit: just for comparison's sake here are the times compared to the LP570 as tested by Italian magazine Automobilismo:

12C/Lambo LP570:

0-100 km/h 3.1/3.4

0-200 km/h 8.9/NA

0-400m 10.9@ 216 kph/11.2@207kph

0-1000m 19.6@272 kph/20.2@266kph

A few more glowing reviews that have not been shared yet:

Edmunds - Insideline with a quick video as well:

2012 McLaren MP4-12C First Drive

2012_mclaren_mp4-12c_actf34_fd_209114_717.jpg

= = = = = =

EVO's Chris Harris gets his turn:

Their upcoming issue will go much further in depth on the car.

New McLaren MP4-12C review, video and picture gallery | evo

car_photo_424369_25.jpg

= = = = = =

Steve Suttcliff has his say for Autocar here:

McLaren MP4-12C - Road Test First Drive - Autocar.co.uk

McLaren-MP4-112111145133371600x1060.jpg

>8^)

ER

Have the option costs been released yet? If so, link or pdf anyone?

Here's the UK pricelist.

Might not be the latest and greatest -- I know from their online configurator that availability of some options has changed. Not sure if that is reflected accurately in this document but it is better than nothing for now.

>8^)

ER

MP4_12_pl.pdf

Nice Peloton, good links.

My favorite line:

"And if you are seriously in the market, and you do then go for a proper drive in the 12C, you will be hooked. Instantly. And you’ll never look at the Ferrari 458 or Lamborghini Gallardo in the same light ever again. So don’t say you haven’t been warned."

Someone tell Allan to not get too used to farting in that dancing donkey seat...he's not going to be in it very long.

This sounds VERY promising! Wow! I had a feeling this would be like no other car. I don't think it REALLY surprised anyone that it would change the playing field, they are McLaren after all.

I think the options list is ridiculous, i'm up to £60k looking through it, performance aside that cost alone is making the lp700 look like a bargain.

Funny how a lot of people are changing there tune, i still think it looks rubbish (well not rubbish but like an R8 vs gallardo looks), their sales people were literally begging for deposits 8 months ago and no one wanted one, now a few quick figures & everything has changed, i think it is overhyped, although undoubtably a great car.

They are also making a convertible version of it if anyone is genuinely thinking about it.