What books have you been reading lately?

ameer

I've just finished reading two really amazing books written by a very good travel writer/historian Justin Marozzi, i must say i enjoyed them very much though i was skeptical at the beginning, he has a great sense of humour and both books are a very enjoyable read. Needless to say i learned a great deal from them.

1. The Man who invented History: Travels with Herodotus here

And i picked up the second one immediately after i read the one above:

2. Tamerlane: Sword of Islam, Conqueror of the World ( A really cool look into the life of Tamerlane and the history of Central Asia) here

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McMafia.

Seriously interesting book

Explores how corruption in the last days of communism has triggered the path of organised global crime.

If you like your proper modern war stories then I suggest you read this Sniper One. Very good recount of the modern war in Afghanistan.

Also This - Black Swann by the guy that supposedly saw the financial dip a mile off/ Illuminating at times bit twee the rest.

Speaking of books, when do most of you find time to read?

I love books, just lately its been a tough one to get time and actually sit down to read.

Outliers sounds pretty interesting. What did you think of it?

I read Outliers a couple months back. I couldn't put it down, polished it off in 3 days it was that good.

I love books, just lately its been a tough one to get time and actually sit down to read.

I usually read for an hour or so before I go to sleep, which means that I'm usually reading something I would refer to as "mind candy" instead of something more intellectual that I would have to concentrate on that would keep me awake ;)

pool/beach

and 30 minutes before bed

It's really good. An informative book as opposed to one where you'll walk away with a gameplan to use the information. But I have been able to apply the concepts he's presented to a lot of different arenas, and it has made me more aware of the "outlier" concept when looking at things.

I'd totally recommend it, I couldn't put it down when I started reading it and finished it in two days.

I'm currently reading "Trust Agents" by Chris Brogan, great book about social currency.

I liked it a lot. Made some great points, however I do feel the book towards the end does begin to lose the plot a bit. I am going to p/u his other ones over the weekend before I head off to Cabo.

• 2 months later...

I am reading The Road Less Traveled and if I ruled the world this book would be mandatory to read for anyone by the time they turn 21. What a mind f^ck, basically tells you why you are messed up, what is the right move in which situations, and, most importantly, how not to mess up your kids

The other one is How to get Rich by Felix Dennis, the publishing magnate. Real examples and no BS approach to making $$. In one chapter he does what virtually no one else ever does in a similar book, and asks you if you Really want to be very rich, and suffer, or if you just like the idea? The admits than the latter is fine..and healthier.

Lastly, this book just plain rocks. The guy is smart, was working with Tucker Max for awhile, and I can't recommend it enough to anyone who hates the idea of office life or doing things you hate to maintain the image of the "standard life"

Happy-Hour-Amateurs-Sucks-Doesnt

Just finished this, A Murder in Amsterdam, by Ian Buruma

It's a very interesting book talking about the murder of Theo Van Gogh in The Netherlands in 2004 and the history behind it all.

He explores the story behind the immigration problems the Netherlands experienced, and the cultural conflict of a very liberal tolerant society that experienced an influx of fundamental Islamic believers.

The danger he believes comes when the tolerance is a one way street, and addresses how to approach the problem of those who feel that death is their only way home. It sheds light on how new generations of immigrant children have no respect for the country they are in, because they lack a national identity. They are brought up in traditions from the land of their heritage, but don't fully integrate into their current society.

Buruma doesn't attack the Muslim faith, what he does point out is there there is room for co-existence, but only if the tolerance and respect goes both ways, not just in favor of Islamic beliefs.

But did you really like it?

Yes, I enjoyed the book. Reason being, I gained a new and interesting perspective on the subject, as well as learned more about Dutch history.

Working in Dearborn Michigan, which has the highest concentration of Arab Americans aside for the Middle East, I see cultural integration and in some instances lack thereof on a daily basis. So this book was especially interesting due more to my location than most have the chance to experience.

College Books...mostly

When I have time, I've been trying to read The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham. Really want to find my Grandfather's book that he wrote. Out of print and hidden in the house somewhere.

Could anyone link me to the other book thread, can't seem to find it.

Thanks.

Anyone?

I remember people made recommendations. :)

Guest skokos

I just got done reading Victor Hugos Les miserables.. A classic but Ive never had a chance to sit down and read it so last week the TV and movies stayed off every evening and I breezed through it

I love Clive Cussler stuff!

I think I have now read every single one of his books, they are very entertaining.

Outliers looks really good, im going to have to give it a go.