Lexus Stuck Accelerator Recall

Roman

so, it was a stuck floor mat that slid onto the accelerator pedal?

Hmmmm.

Most mats these days have tabs that lock the mat to the floor.

rip to those that died.

How about Toyota's recall on the Toyota Avalon 3 years ago where they mis calibrated the robot that welds the steering column to the body of the car so it would eventually break loose.

Very sad

But what is that reporter saying ''they could have put the car in neutral or off''...

When you put the car in neutral you have to apply the brakes, WHICH THEY COULDN'T, perhaps with the peddles behind the wheel I don't know (I think he tried that already but probably didn't work) !!!

And I don't think you can press the OFF button too because again you have to apply the brakes.

Very sad

But what is that reporter saying ''they could have put the car in neutral or off''...

When you put the car in neutral you have to apply the brakes, WHICH THEY COULDN'T, perhaps with the peddles behind the wheel I don't know (I think he tried that already but probably didn't work) !!!

And I don't think you can press the OFF button too because again you have to apply the brakes.

Yep..... and if the put it in neutral it was too damned late... They were heading down a steep grade at 120 MPH at that point.... And the brakes were probably already toast.

Yep..... and if the put it in neutral it was too damned late... They were heading down a steep grade at 120 MPH at that point.... And the brakes were probably already toast.

Yes the brakes were already toast as witnesses claimed that they were on fire from the heavy braking early on.

So I am guessing that they didn't realise it was just the floor mat jamming it either? It's crazy to think such a small thing can end the lives of so many people.

RIP

Some of those youtube comments make me sick, people who say ''fail'' or are being racist, I wish they were in the car.

Typical Youtube douchebags.

This is like Final Destination. Once you are going that fast, even crashing into the side wall to slow down is probably going to turn bad. RIP

Very sad

I think they could have applied the brake, but they would have the brake and gas pedal on at the same time.

Can you shift to neutral or off at this point?

you don't have to push the brakes to put the car in neutral from drive...

I read that too, Ricky. My first notion was that it must have been an American thing because I've actually never been in a car in Canada (or the US) where the brake pedal needed to be engaged for the shifter to be moved into neutral.

I read that too, Ricky. My first notion was that it must have been an American thing because I've actually never been in a car in Canada (or the US) where the brake pedal needed to be engaged for the shifter to be moved into neutral.

If you're moving, there is no car that requires you to press the brake to go from D to N. If you're at a stop, some cars require it but most I've driven don't.

This is like Final Destination. Once you are going that fast, even crashing into the side wall to slow down is probably going to turn bad. RIP

My mom had a really close call with her car, it kept having a difficult time starting and she didn't know why, and she also started smelling gas from after each drive. Then she realized there was a fuel line leak, and what was happening is when you turn the ignition, the car makes a "zzzzzzz" sound which is the fuel going into the engine so it can start, well hers was having trouble because the fuel line had a hole, so fuel was literally spraying out the side of the car in a small stream. She drove it home and then a neighbor told her, "You are very lucky, where that fuel line leak is, if the spray had been directed differently, it would have hit the exhaust, and that would have set the whole car on fire, which would then have been fed by the continually spraying fuel."

My mom has always warned my sister and I to make sure if we are driving with a drink like a say a water bottle to make sure we have it where it cannot fall onto the driver's side floor because it could roll under the brake and prevent one from being able to stop, never heard of a loormat actually mashing down the accelrator though.

Wouldn't that need to be one heck of a heavy floor mat to actually depress the accelerator all the way?

As a side thought, too bad they weren't in a vehicle where after you hit the top speed the computer will turn off the engine.

Too bad. I had my engine wire stuck on both a boat going full throttle and my scooter when I was driving down town. I was on the brakes/ignition key within 1 sec. Too bad people panic and don't keep their cool. :(

Too bad. I had my engine wire stuck on both a boat going full throttle and my scooter when I was driving down town. I was on the brakes/ignition key within 1 sec. Too bad people panic and don't keep their cool. :(

Yeah. It's probably just unfamiliarity with the vehicle. I had a floor mat get jammed in an older car, and I started flying... i quickly put the car in neutral, tested the brakes and pulled off the road. This was in a neighborhood. Turned the car off coasted to a stop and inspected to find the floor mat jammed.

My first impression was that the driver was unusually cool (judging from his voice). I once had a problem with a broken throttle spring, the car revved to the max, but it was a manual so there was no problem. Again, a very sad thing to hear.

On the ignition, you can also just turn the engine off with the car in Drive? Or does the key lock in position in that gear?

My first impression was that the driver was unusually cool (judging from his voice). I once had a problem with a broken throttle spring, the car revved to the max, but it was a manual so there was no problem. Again, a very sad thing to hear.

That was the passenger.

new US law ====> limiter on ALL cars to a max of 80mph.