an "Accident waiting to happen" Just happened

rakjoe

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prosecutor Susan Price says that Shekell's blood alcohol level was .26%--significantly higher than the .08% legal limit. However, the Anaheim woman's lawyer says another test indicated that Shekell's BAC was .20%.

Seriously? That was the defense? "Ladies and gentleman of the jury, The prosecutor contends that my client shot the victim 18 times.... In fact, my client only shot the victim 12 times... I rest my case.

Shes lucky to have gotten off that easy.... Orange County is LIVID right now because a 26 year old career criminal with a BAC of .20 crashed into a car full of cheerleaders this weekend right down the street from me.... They took one of them off life support a few days ago....

People have had it with these assholes.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011...ui-suspect.html

Seriously? That was the defense? "Ladies and gentleman of the jury, The prosecutor contends that my client shot the victim 18 times.... In fact, my client only shot the victim 12 times... I rest my case.

Shes lucky to have gotten off that easy.... Orange County is LIVID right now because a 26 year old career criminal with a BAC of .20 crashed into a car full of cheerleaders this weekend right down the street from me.... They took one of them off life support a few days ago....

That story really pissed me off. A good father goes responsibly to pick up the girls from a party and some ahole ram's them and kills one and maims others. fuck him.

I'd say it's a tragedy, but I disagree with you. I don't think there's a tremendous amount of outrage against these type of crimes.

There's the initial public shock, sure. But then nobody seems to care too much about the outcome, unless it's ridiculous.

I'm shocked she only got 6yrs so far, and you bet your ass she'll be doing the time. Prison sentence for Four felony charges is entirely different from the small time stuff people get out on so easily. That's Federal, pound me in the ass Prison time. OC is actually one of the hardest counties in the state when it comes to drunk driving punishments.

That cheerleader that died because of the drunk driver visited my daughter's school once and the tragedy has affect all the students in her school, because of one asshole that can't put down the bottle.

I'd say it's a tragedy, but I disagree with you. I don't think there's a tremendous amount of outrage against these type of crimes.

There's the initial public shock, sure. But then nobody seems to care too much about the outcome, unless it's ridiculous.

It may be different here.... Weve had a series of high profile DUI deaths in orange county including Nick Adenhart- The media here followed that case gavel to gavel.

:iamwithstupid: :eusa_wall:

The 3 big #s for BAC are 0.05, 0.08, and 0.16...DWAI, DWI, and aggravated DWI.

Anything over 0.16 is all the same...

If she had say a 0.06, then I think she'd still be found guilty and serve time, but probably not as much....but then again, this whole thing probably wouldn't have happened.

BTW for the record, a majority of DUI tragedies are all heavily aggravated, between 0.20 and 0.30. Having been cognizant of what 0.07 feels like, you have to be a seriously insane person to double or triple that.

Very sad story.

That cheerleader that died because of the drunk driver visited my daughter's school once and the tragedy has affect all the students in her school, because of one asshole that can't put down the bottle.

Her school is right down the street (maybe a half mile or so?) From mako and me. The crash scene is one of the major intersections in town. Memorials at both places.

Six years for murder? Wrong, just wrong.

John in Canada she would've got 6 MONTHS... if that.

It's estimated the average number of times people drive drunk before even getting caught is 87. The penalties just aren't severe enough to deter. It's argued the correct fine to internalize the costs is $8,000.00 per incident.

Levitt and Porter (2001) find that drivers with alcohol in their blood are seven times more likely to cause a fatal crash than a sober driver (those above the legal limit are 13 times more likely than a sober driver). They estimate that the externality per mile driven by a drunk driver is at least thirty cents which implies that the proper fine to internalize this cost is roughly $8,000.

edit: porter!

How in the hell does John Edwards face THIRTY years in prison for using campaign money to pay a mistress, but someone who gets drunk and kills someone gets only six years (or six months up in Canada!?)!?!? Am I missing something here?

I was riding with my father today and some nut almost ran us off the road, changing lanes WAY too early, so that if my father didn't swerve at the last second, that car would've clipped us. Now the thing is, what could've killed us was the swerving, as we were in a big GMC Surburban, and this was a car cutting in front of us. If that car had clipped us, it likely would've gone somersaulting or flipped upside down or something. The idiot then went on to change back out of the lane, drive up past another car, then cut in front of him too, luckily though not causing an accident.

She got off easy, and even if a drunk driver is involved and may cause a road rage incident, the non drunk will be convicted..when she was almost 3 times the legal limit drunk...

"A man who ran a woman's car into a freeway center divider in a traffic confrontation last year was sentenced today to nine years in state prison.

A Sacramento Superior Court jury last month convicted Jesse Kenneth Oran, 33, of gross vehicular manslaughter, Judge Gerrit W. Wood imposed the prison term on him for the May 2, 2010, traffic fatality that killed 22-year-old Tessa Canavarro.

Canavarro had been scheduled to begin her honeymoon the next day.

Authorities said Oran tailgated Canavarro's vehicle and flashed his headlights at her for several miles after an incident on westbound Interstate 80.

Oran was sober at the time of the crash. Canvarro's blood-alcohol level registered at .23 percent.

You know, I have no desire to have cars that drive themselves on the same road as I do. But as much as I hate to admit it, that car is probably a better driver than 80% of the population.

Having been cognizant of what 0.07 feels like, you have to be a seriously insane person to double or triple that.

Correct me if I am wrong but are you saying that you've been tipsy before and you have to be insane to drink more than 2 beers?

John in Canada she would've got 6 MONTHS... if that.

It's estimated the average number of times people drive drunk before even getting caught is 87. The penalties just aren't severe enough to deter. It's argued the correct fine to internalize the costs is $8,000.00 per incident.

Levitt and Porter (2001) find that drivers with alcohol in their blood are seven times more likely to cause a fatal crash than a sober driver (those above the legal limit are 13 times more likely than a sober driver). They estimate that the externality per mile driven by a drunk driver is at least thirty cents which implies that the proper fine to internalize this cost is roughly $8,000.

edit: porter!

How much is a current DWI cost? In HS they scared us with anywhere from 5-20k .. you get a lawyer, you pay the fines.. your insurance goes up- I think 8k is not a stretch already?

87 times before getting caught? I want to see that research, wouldn't it make sense that most crashes occur the first time you experience something new - so you drink heavy get in the car wondering how well you can control yourself and then you are upside down in a ditch.

The 87 number might come from people who have been drinking and driving for years and know how to get away with it - skewing the mean.

Correct me if I am wrong but are you saying that you've been tipsy before and you have to be insane to drink more than 2 beers?

I think he is saying what driving feels like at .07

How much is a current DWI cost? In HS they scared us with anywhere from 5-20k .. you get a lawyer, you pay the fines.. your insurance goes up- I think 8k is not a stretch already?

87 times before getting caught? I want to see that research, wouldn't it make sense that most crashes occur the first time you experience something new - so you drink heavy get in the car wondering how well you can control yourself and then you are upside down in a ditch.

The 87 number might come from people who have been drinking and driving for years and know how to get away with it - skewing the mean.

I actually did a lot of research on this a few years ago as I wrote a paper in college on everything that is wrong with MADD. The 87 figure is in relation to the calculated number of times a given person has operated a vehicle while under the influence. This has nothing to do with involvement in an accident and included people who were sited due to checkpoints, etc. I'm sure it's not a 100% accurate, but they can get a good round number based on the number of times a week/month a given person was driving, multiplied over a given time frame, etc. From the research I gathered (contacting DUI schools and interviewing the "counselors") not a single one could recall a client (dui convicted person attending their school) had received their DUI the first time they operated a vehicle under the influence.

Also, a lot of the published "DUI Caused this accident" data is greatly skewed. But again, the vast majority of accidents involving people who are charged with DUI, it's anything but their first time having a go at it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning driving under the influence what so ever. Truth be told, at this point in time I won't drive if i've had a single drink. The risk involved if something freak were to happen is just too great and really 1 or 2 drinks isn't worth it.

Remember, you can still be arrested/sited for DUI if you are under the legal limit but still register a measurable amount. As well, if by chance you're involved in an accident the liability will be weighing immensely on the side of the person with a measurable BAC, if they were truly at fault or not. Sure you can hire an attorney and maybe get out of a lot of it, but that's going to be a multi-thousand dollar expense in itself, and you very well may still be dealing with a suspended license in the interim.

Cost of the whole affair can obviously vary depending on your attorney, public defender, and circumstances of the case. But I would venture to say $8k is on the low end these days, and could easily double that. If you're involved in an accident/injury or it goes to a jury trial that could be a small fortune in attorney costs alone.

Thanks Vice and Emanon.

May be the point of 8k can be the fee to reinstate the license?

Thanks Vice and Emanon.

May be the point of 8k can be the fee to reinstate the license?

That's not the institutional expense by the county/state, truth be told I'm sure they are making money on every DUI case.

In other news there is some local legislation in CA that would be billing inmates for their time spent in jail. Mostly targeted toward misdemeanor offenses where they serve less than a year, toward people with assets/jobs etc. But with a year in jail running ~$50k per person, I don't have any gripes with handing them a bill for it after the fact. That alone might be a bigger deterrent than the jail time alone to many people.

Do some time in jail, and until it's paid off the state takes all your income tax refunds and garnishes your wages, also immediately denying you for any social services.

Between that and the bill to revoke business permits for places hiring undocumented workers, the population in CA could drop by 15+% overnight.

I actually did a lot of research on this a few years ago as I wrote a paper in college on everything that is wrong with MADD. The 87 figure is in relation to the calculated number of times a given person has operated a vehicle while under the influence. This has nothing to do with involvement in an accident and included people who were sited due to checkpoints, etc. I'm sure it's not a 100% accurate, but they can get a good round number based on the number of times a week/month a given person was driving, multiplied over a given time frame, etc. From the research I gathered (contacting DUI schools and interviewing the "counselors") not a single one could recall a client (dui convicted person attending their school) had received their DUI the first time they operated a vehicle under the influence.

Also, a lot of the published "DUI Caused this accident" data is greatly skewed. But again, the vast majority of accidents involving people who are charged with DUI, it's anything but their first time having a go at it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning driving under the influence what so ever. Truth be told, at this point in time I won't drive if i've had a single drink. The risk involved if something freak were to happen is just too great and really 1 or 2 drinks isn't worth it.

Remember, you can still be arrested/sited for DUI if you are under the legal limit but still register a measurable amount. As well, if by chance you're involved in an accident the liability will be weighing immensely on the side of the person with a measurable BAC, if they were truly at fault or not. Sure you can hire an attorney and maybe get out of a lot of it, but that's going to be a multi-thousand dollar expense in itself, and you very well may still be dealing with a suspended license in the interim.

Cost of the whole affair can obviously vary depending on your attorney, public defender, and circumstances of the case. But I would venture to say $8k is on the low end these days, and could easily double that. If you're involved in an accident/injury or it goes to a jury trial that could be a small fortune in attorney costs alone.

:iamwithstupid:

DUI is probably the most committed crime that is least caught/convicted....besides speeding, which I don't know if it's truly a "crime".

87 seems high for DWAI or DWI, but if you just want to show some BAC level (i.e 0.01 to 0.02), that's pretty realistic. That's like 90% of people in wine country at least.

The statistics are funny....there's no real conclusive evidence. Some of the worst abusers never get caught, and the guy who maybe has done it a few times in his life gets nailed by fluke chance.

Once you get snagged into the whole situation, at a minimum you're looking at around $3000 I'd say. Attorney fees start around $1500 and can go up to double, triple, or quadruple that. There are other fees you'll have to pay for this and that that add up.

MADD is an interesting entity. Well meaning, but politically powerful in a way most non profits aren't....when DAs say they don't want to plea bargain because they have to "answer to them", what does that say?

Rawr the numbers came from Steven Levitt who co-authored Freakanomics and Superfreakanomics. Interesting books... lots of detail in the former about drunk driving and how the chances of getting in an incident are far greater if you WALK home drunk versus drive home drunk.

He's a pretty sharp guy regardless of whether or not if you're a fan of the books.