We should have let them all fail

Roman

Ohhhh, how I LOATHE Skank of America!!

Here's my most recent story (there are many, however). (This happened within the past couple weeks):

I've had personal checking and savings accounts with BofA for probably 7 or 8 years, and I opened business accounts with them (2 checking and 1 savings) in June of 2008 for my new venture into entrepreneurship.

I don't keep a ton of money in the BofA accounts, because I keep most of it where it's going to earn more money (my investment accounts with Vanguard, ML, etc. and my ING Direct account).

I was online the other day paying a bill on my BofA account page and I noticed something new, though. ALL OF A SUDDEN, after aaaaaaall these years of never getting hit with a monthly maintenance fee of any kind, I noticed that I got hit with a $12 monthly maintenance fee to my personal savings account. Now, $12 doesn't change my life or anything, but the principle of them dipping their hand into my wallet whenever they feel like it REALLY pisses me off.

So I called them up to ask why on earth this happened. They explained that -- without my knowing, and without my having done anything differently than what I've done for all of the past 7 or 8 years -- my personal accounts with them were switched from a "Something Advantage" relationship to some other (lower?) form of relationship. WTF?! And, the "new" relationship has rules that stipulate that the minimum balance in the savings account must now be $2,500 at all times, lest I get hit with this fee. (It used to be just a monthly average balance of at least $1,000.)

Furious that something was changed without my permission, I demanded that the fee be revoked and the account type be reverted to the same type of account and rules I've always had before. They stated that that couldn't be done, that they were doing away with that previous "relationship type," i.e. they no longer offered it, and that I was sent something in the mail that stipulated this in fine print somewhere along the way. WTF??! I let all hell break loose, asked to speak to a supervisor and threatened to close the account because Chase is offering me $200 JUST TO SWITCH OVER to them, and though Chase may not be any better, they CANNOT BE WORSE. The supervisor refused. (Wouldn't even give me the $12 back!!) I asked to speak to HER supervisor (another level up). That level of "executive supervisor" isn't reachable on demand, but she did tell me his name, give me his number, and transferred me to his voicemail, where I left a very clear, and angry, message.

So in the meantime I transferred a little money into that savings account to bring it to exactly $2,500 so as to avoid any future fees in the meantime. (Even though I hoped they would either switch the relationship back to the old type or else I'd close the account very soon.)

However, I logged on a few days later and saw . . . ANOTHER $12 fee hit that SAME account, and the value now was only $2,488! Furious, I called them again. They said that a monthly cycle had just closed/ended/posted, and since I upped the balance to $2,500 a few days AFTER the new month officially began I was hit with ANOTHER $12 fee! (Because if you dip below $2,500 for even one second, you get hit with that monthly fee.) Not only that, but I would be hit with ANOTHER fee the following cycle, because that most recent $12 fee had knocked me below $2,500 (to $2,488), so I was now (*get this*) getting hit with a fee -- BECAUSE I'D JUST GOTTEN HIT WITH A fcuking FEE!!! (Picture that being shouted by Lewis Black at the top of his lungs.)

FURIOUS, I asked for that same super-manager I'd left a VM for. I left another VM.

He did call me back a couple days after that and was super-apologetic. He said he would revoke all those fees and revert the account type to the way it had been previously, and he said he was even shocked that it had to get to his level (2 levels above basic customer service) for someone to right this, and that he didn't want to lose my business over $12 fees.

But this is the type of shit BofA pulls with me EVERY FEW MONTHS. No joke! Every few months I'll have to take a careful look at all my accounts, pick up the phone, spend LITERALLY a quarter of the damn day on the phone with these fucks, do all-out battle with them, and wait several days before knowing whether the issue is resolved.

PS: Ohhh, and don't even get me started on how they practically *ruined my life* when I called them the day before I was leaving for a trip abroad for 2 weeks to notify them of this so that I would be able to use my card overseas. And they ran me through the ringer on the phone, and ultimately REFUSED.

My God, are they evil.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I see a trend.....

My CHASE story- I have a chase visa with a 30K limit or something and no balance.....

Know why it has no balance???

Because they wont let me buy anything with the goddamned thing....

EVEN if I tell them ILL BE TRAVELLING, or making a large purchase- THEY ALWAYS DECLINE THE CHARGE...

I think I need to close both accounts and get one card with a 70K limit (THAT WANTS MY BUSINESS) and call it a day.

But who? THEY ALL SUCK ASS.

Ohhhh, how I LOATHE Skank of America!!

Here's my most recent story (there are many, however). (This happened within the past couple weeks):

I've has personal checking and savings accounts with BofA for probably 7 or 8 years, and I opened business accounts with them (2 checking and 1 savings) in June of 2008 for my new venture into entrepreneurship.

I don't keep a ton of money in the BofA accounts, because I keep most of it where it's going to earn more money (my investment accounts with Vanguard, ML, etc. and my ING Direct account).

I was online the other day paying a bill on my BofA account page and I noticed something new, though. ALL OF A SUDDEN, after aaaaaaall these years of never getting hit with a monthly maintenance fee of any kind, I noticed that I got hit with a $12 monthly maintenance fee to my personal savings account. Now, $12 doesn't change my life or anything, but the principle of them dipping their hand into my wallet whenever they feel like it REALLY pisses me off.

So I called them up to ask why on earth this happened. They explained that -- without my knowing, and without my having done anything differently than what I've done for all of the past 7 or 8 years -- my personal accounts with them were switched from a "Something Advantage" relationship to some other (lower?) form of relationship. WTF?! And, the "new" relationship has rules that stipulate that the minimum balance in the savings account must now be $2,500 at all times, lest I get hit with this fee. (It used to be just a monthly average balance of at least $1,000.)

Furious that something was changed without my permission, I demanded that the fee be revoked and the account type be reverted to the same type of account and rules I've always had before. They stated that that couldn't be done, that they were doing away with that previous "relationship type," i.e. they now longer offered it, and that I was sent something in the mail that stipulated this in fine print somewhere along the way. WTF??! I let all hell break loose, asked to speak to a supervisor and threatened to close the account because Chase is offering me $200 JUST TO SWITCH OVER to them, and though Chase may not be any better, they CANNOT BE WORSE. The supervisor refused. (Wouldn't even give me the $12 back!!) I asked to speak to HER supervisor (another level up). That level of "executive supervisor" isn't reachable on demand, but she did tell me his name, give me his number, and transferred me to his voicemail, where I left a very clear, and angry, message.

So in the meantime I transferred a little money into that savings account to bring it to exactly $2,500 so as to avoid any future fees in the meantime. (Even though I hoped they would either switch the relationship back to the old type or else I'd close the account very soon.)

However, I logged on a few days later and saw . . . ANOTHER $12 fee hit that SAME account, and that the value now was only $2,488! Furious, I called them again. They said that a monthly cycle had just closed/ended/posted, and since I upped the balance to $2,500 a few days AFTER the new month officially began I was hit with ANOTHER $12 fee! (Because if you dip below $2,500 for even one second, you get hit with that monthly fee.) Not only that, but I would be hit with ANOTHER fee the following cycle, because that most recent $12 fee had knocked me below $2,500 (to $2,488), so I was now (*get this*) getting hit with a fee -- BECAUSE I'D JUST GOTTEN HIT WITH A fcuking FEE!!! (Picture that being shouted by Lewis Black at the top of his lungs.)

FURIOUS, I asked for that same super-manager I'd left a VM for. I left another VM.

He did call me back a couple days after that and was super-apologetic. He said he would revoke all those fees and revert the account type to the way it had been previously, and he said he was even shocked that it had to get to his level (2 levels above basic customer service) for someone to right this, and that he didn't want to lose my business over $12 fees.

But this is the type of shit BofA pulls with me EVERY FEW MONTHS. No joke! Every few months I'll have to take a careful look at all my accounts, pick up the phone, spend LITERALLY a quarter of the damn day on the phone with these fucks, do all-out battle with them, and wait several days before knowing whether the issue is resolved.

PS: Ohhh, and don't even get me started on how they practically *ruined my life* when I called them the day before I was leaving for a trip abroad for 2 weeks to notify them of this so that I would be able to use my card overseas. And they ran me through the ringer on the phone, and ultimately REFUSED.

My God, are they evil.

So there ARE no decent banks out there. Great.

I didn't necessarily believe that Chase would be any better, really. I just knew they could not POSSIBLY be any worse. That just wouldn't be even remotely, humanly possible.

I see a trend.....

My CHASE story- I have a chase visa with a 30K limit or something and no balance.....

Know why it has no balance???

Because they wont let me buy anything with the goddamned thing....

EVEN if I tell them ILL BE TRAVELLING, or making a large purchase- THEY ALWAYS DECLINE THE CHARGE...

I think I need to close both accounts and get one card with a 70K limit (THAT WANTS MY BUSINESS) and call it a day.

But who? THEY ALL SUCK ASS.

I actually recommend Harris Bank, however you won't find ATM convenience.

I use Pentagon Federal Credit Union for all my credit cards and loans. Also highly recommended and oversees friendly due to most members being current and past servicemen.

Membership is open to anyone after a 1 time $20 donation to join some sort of veteran foundation.

NY mafia at its best. Wait until they don't post or mail you. Then hit you with a late fee, intrest & ding your credit. Then they wonder why they loose thier good customers & are stuck with flakes. Then to top it off need a gov handout to stay in business. Get zero percent intrest from us tax payers, invest it all in treasuries

make 3% off us from the free money we gave them. Shit ! Thanks Dad, now I'm pissed again

I like BofA because I once went to the ATM to withdrawl $100 and the machine spit out $105 (5 $20's and a $5). I checked my statement and the withdraw showed $100. I don't know how it happened because I thought their machines didn't hold anything other than Jacksons. But oh well, that made me a happy camper. If this keeps happening I'll be a lifelong customer!

You would think they would compete for business. But for some reason they don't have to. They all seem to know that you won't move your accounts because there is no better place to go.

I do like local credit unions. It is easier to find a person that can help you when something goes wrong.

- Robert

When they split your credit (and this is only for their credit cards, not their charge cards,) you tell them how much credit you want on each card. How is that any different than having multiple credit cards? Card A has $20K avail, and Card B has $75K available. If it's a problem, why don't you just have one CC instead of two? What difference does it make?

And what the heck are you buying on credit that pushes you limit? Most things that would push the limit wouldn't even be purchasable by credit as far as I know. You try get 800K Amex points on your house or something? lol

To answer you.

No, I had 2 charge cards and 1 credit card from Amex. A gold, a Singapore Airlines, and a Platinum Credit.

I kept my gold because I've had it since 82. The SQ for my plane tickets, and my plat credit for those special deals that were not available on the others, like 2 for 1 meals at my favourite restaurants etc and special discounts at the boutiques. Yes, I can be a cheapo if I set my mind to it.

If I travel with my family, the tickets will put me back 20k. But I do that once or twice a year.

I have bought art with my card in China and Japan worth high 6 digits each and jewelry for my wife. I have also bought cars with my card to not waste time. My last was US$250,000 for my Lexus LS600L. All dues have been settled promptly. FYI, a Harry Winston Optus9 or AP concept would put you US$200k and you don't want to be seen telling the shop how to split the payment, do you? Neither would I like to have to do that at Christies or Sotherby.

I have millions of points which I'll use for my kids' travel when they go overseas for their university. Don't see anything else worth redeeming. I also have similar sized points sitting in my Citibank Ultima.

With Citi, they don't make me split my limit. I now only have 2 cards from them, used to be more because of co-branding and they would just send the latest co-brand to me, until they were able to offer most of these privileges on the Ultima. My other card is a co-brand with one of my telco which gives exceptional discounts if I kept the card and paid my monthly dues with it. I don't use it for anything else and don't even know where it is. When I had the multitude of co-brand cards, they never asked me to split. They now have, since 06, a very warm and helpful manager who knows me by name and acts as my personal concierge, even though it is way out of her job description.

Centurian for all the hype they have promised have delivered little. And whatever that pathetic little encompasses, do not fit my lifestyle, except for my last minute travels which their travel desk has delivered. But I'm told Plat travel desk offers the same.

Maybe I should talk to Amex about redeeming a house in the Hamptons or somewhere nice in CA.

I agree, the centurion is kind of a waste. I think I break even on it, maybe slightly ahead.

I can't believe they let you buy such expensive things with credit cards. Amex doesn't care as long as you tell them, but merchants do. Mainly because they will have to pay a % fee like all merchants. Maybe it's capped at a certain amount. Are you having to pay a premium to use your credit card on a $500K painting? I've also never seen a credit card let you pay in foreign currency without incurring a fee. Buying $500K worth of art in a foreign currency on my Amex would no doubt cost me another $5-10K in fees.

I was going to buy my car with my Amex and the dealer wouldn't take it.

A friend over here noticed that his Ferrari dealer had a sign saying AMEX accepted and he asked if he could use his black to buy the car. They said yes, and just as he was thinking of all the points he was going to get, they mentioned the 3% fee. He figured the points weren't worth that much!

It is against merchant rules to forward merchant fees to the customer. You can risk losing your merchant ID. Accepting a credit card even on high dollar items is the price of doing business.

Not here in Australia. There is never a fee for using VISA or MC but there is usually a 1.5-3% fee for using Amex, Diners etc.

I would feel the same way as you RomanDad....

Sorry to hear of the circumstance and I hate when things like that happen to me.

By the way, that Hotel/AMX story would make my blood boil as well !

Ohhh, I have a hotel-related Amex story as well (complete nightmare -- disastrous hotel experience in Barcelona) but I won't bore you all with the details. Suffice it to say that, though they told me at the time (Amex did) that they would back me up on this dispute with a nightmarish hotel, it took MONTHS of back-and-forth between me and Amex, a 4-page, single-spaced letter from me explaining in minute detail how this hotel double-fist-fucked me, and me refusing to give in before Amex agreed to compensate me for a "medium-sized pittance" of the charges, as opposed to just the "teeny tiny pittance" they initially offered.

Yeah, those bastards are evil too. And their concierge service sucks. And generally, I find their service no better than anyone else's.

I would feel the same way as you RomanDad....

Sorry to hear of the circumstance and I hate when things like that happen to me.

By the way, that Hotel/AMX story would make my blood boil as well !

I agree, the centurion is kind of a waste. I think I break even on it, maybe slightly ahead.

I can't believe they let you buy such expensive things with credit cards. Amex doesn't care as long as you tell them, but merchants do. Mainly because they will have to pay a % fee like all merchants. Maybe it's capped at a certain amount. Are you having to pay a premium to use your credit card on a $500K painting? I've also never seen a credit card let you pay in foreign currency without incurring a fee. Buying $500K worth of art in a foreign currency on my Amex would no doubt cost me another $5-10K in fees.

I was going to buy my car with my Amex and the dealer wouldn't take it.

Everything boils down to how much either side wants the other more.

The galleries make at least 100% margin easily and at worst 30-50% margin after haggling. What's 3% to secure the deal? By allowing me to walk away to arrange the money transfer etc, they fear that I may wake up the next day not wanting it.

As for cars, it's also about who wants what more. They will always say 3% loading. But if the car is already in stock, they have to decide how long it will stay before the next customer comes.

The same goes for watches etc.

Mind you, I do not do such wanton sprees as a habit. I still prefer my low keyed lifestyle. But hate to look like I'm living on credit when I go loco once in a while.

(I once got a Wells Fargo card because it had a really cool looking stagecoach on it..... By the end of that relationship I wanted to hijack the stagecoach, kill the passengers, and eat the fcuking horses)..

E-Once again you made me spit my wine out in laughter..That there is some funny S**T!

You are such an ass for bitching out at the rep. She just works there.

Banks have the right to cancel or stop your card per the cardholder agreement just like you can take your 5 digit balance somewhere else.

If you flip out when a bank switches you a card, I don't know how you deal with other challenges in life.

You are such an ass for bitching out at the rep. She just works there.

Banks have the right to cancel or stop your card per the cardholder agreement just like you can take your 5 digit balance somewhere else.

If you flip out when a bank switches you a card, I don't know how you deal with other challenges in life.

Uh oh! :unsure: :icon_mrgreen: