Shanghai building collapse

Scotty

They built 13 stories on grade, with no basement, and tied it all down to hollow pilings with no rebar.

Brought to you by the same folks that make your kids' toys and want to build your car............... :eusa_naughty:

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2009/06...-nearly-intact/

(1) An underground garage was being dug on the south side, to a depth of 4.6 meters

(2) The excavated dirt was being piled up on the north side, to a height of 10 meters

(3) The building experienced uneven lateral pressure from south and north

(4) This resulted in a lateral pressure of 3,000 tonnes, which was greater than what the pilings could tolerate.

Thus the building toppled over in the southerly direction.

post-15160-1263219350_thumb.jpg

post-15160-1263219359_thumb.jpg

post-15160-1263219370_thumb.jpg

post-15160-1263219379_thumb.jpg

puts a smile on my face knowing i made the right choice by purchasing a made in the usa hammer instead of a made in china one. even though the made in china one was x3 cheaper i had visions of it just disintegrating in my hand after a few uses

wow wonder if anyone was on the wrong side of the fall?

I read the article and it said one worker died. The building was just new and not occupied yet.

Although the guy who secured the building to the ground did a piss poor job, the guy that built the rest of the building did a pretty good job actually.

"Oh man, I better build all these rooms and stuff really strong because dopey old Kim Suk-Doy is screwing the building to the ground and he sucks"

Looks like at least 2 other towers that are built just like that are there waiting to fall over as well.

The people who paid extra for a penthouse are going to be pissed when they see they have the same view as those on the first floor!

and im surprised this even made it onto the internet, knowing the Chinese government they should have intercepted it

Good point.

puts a smile on my face knowing i made the right choice by purchasing a made in the usa hammer instead of a made in china one. even though the made in china one was x3 cheaper i had visions of it just disintegrating in my hand after a few uses

I bought one at Harbor Freight, and it did just that. It shattered a chunk off of the head. I was pretty lucky nothing bad happened.

Very Old News. and this kind of thing happens a lot in China. and People ain't that freaked anymore because just too many..

So why? Cheap material and Cheap Labour End of the story! I doubt the Buildings that the Central Goverment live and work in have the same Quility as this.

Very Old News. and this kind of thing happens a lot in China. and People ain't that freaked anymore because just too many..

Mr Lee why are you late for work?

Sorry sir our building collapsed again this morning!

Ok off you go grab your hard hat and carry on!

Those crazy chinese with their quality in everything! LoL. Maybe they had 9 year olds building it from the sweat shops down the street.

hahaha those pylons look like they belong on a small traffic sign, not holding a bloody building up.

You guys should see what people here in CA have to go through to build a house on a hillside, massive pillars drilled into the mountain with enough concrete to build a freeway. People can literally have $1/2m into the foundation alone.

I have heard they are building yachts now too, that would be something, get out to sea and the boat breaks in half :)