Who is running Toyo R888's on their GTT?

Allan-Herbie

are these supposed to be better than our PS2's??

supposedly MUCH better and car will dead hook. On race gas I get wheelspin in 4th..but you have to run 19s

R888's are wayyyyy better than PS2's.

R888's are technically an 'R' compound - i.e. They are a road race tire made out of soft rubber that are legal for racing classes that require tread patterned tires, and do not allow full slicks.

They will stick. They will pick EVERYTHING up from the roadway and toss it into your wheelwellls/fenders. But, they will not last very long.

PS2's are a full tread depth street tire; Far, far away from the traction levels you get from an R888. But the PS2's are probably the best of the 'street' tires - Very good traction, and will last about as long as any other.

If you seek ultimate grip, then you may want to try Yokohama A048. Some say that it is grippier than R888 but wears faster too.

They're loud as hell, but they will do the job. They need to be warmed up and running the right pressure if you plan to get the most out of them though. And yeah, they are like tape. Everything sticks to them.

Has anyone had the chance to compare them with the Pirelli Corsas? I have been running Corsas and are very happy with their capabilities/life on the track (road course), but have considered trying the toyos because of how much cheaper they are. To me cheaper tires = MORE FUN!!!

R888's aren't even in the same league as PS2's. As mentioned, they are r compounds and will kick up all sorts of crap. I had the paint by my wheels clearbra'd.

I have Corsa's on the Murc, R888's on the Viper for track use.

You can get "used" R888's from Berget tires. He has them with 50-90% life remaining. He gets them from race teams who throw them away after a session or two. My friends and I have bought several sets from him through our informal club. We usually call him to save a few sets for us before the track season starts. If you want a set, shoot me a PM and I'll give you our info so you can take advantage of our pricing when you call him. His best tires are shaved to 3/32's from the factory, and when I get them they have about that much left!

I've got Toyo R888's on the rear of mine. BIG, BIG difference over PS2's. They grip like crazy. I have had mine on the rear for about 1K miles and absolutely not one nick or chip in the paint from things being kicked up by the tires. It is lowered though too which will help. I agree w/ VBOXKING, the engine/exhaust makes the tire noise disappear.

Lambo-5-low.jpg

you can't compare the R888 to PS2's only the Sport cups. They are different compounds. I was asking about Corsas compared to the r888's both R compounds. Does anyone have any experience with both on a road course, street, wet? How do they compare. Apples to apples please.

I find my Corsas are more geared towards street use vs the R888's. My R888's have less "tread" for the water to go, but would be less prone to chunking. Depends on what you want to use them for.

I personally use the Corsa's for max street performance, and the R888's for track performance.

I find my Corsas are more geared towards street use vs the R888's. My R888's have less "tread" for the water to go, but would be less prone to chunking. Depends on what you want to use them for.

I personally use the Corsa's for max street performance, and the R888's for track performance.

Thank you achilles99.

They're fine in the wet. Obviously not as good as others with more tread, but by no means unsafe. AWD helps too of course.

In the snow, they aren't so good hahaha. I had an appointment to get to and it was the only car at the house. Fortunately is was close by.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to run 888's on our Time Attack race car and had great results with them, been using them for years. The only issue is they DO NOT like the rain and can be very dangerous in standing water. Just a side note, they do take some time to get up to temp. If you have been sitting in traffic for the last mile and gun it off the lights you might get wheelspin, but when warm I don't think you will have any problems in your car :)

IMG_6484Medium.jpg