I really need to buy a new gun...

Roman

Now I need a Knights QD compensator... Everyplace Ive tried is sold out...

At work so I can't look it up. Have you tried Subguns.com or sturmwher.net ? Autoweapons.com usually has this kind of stuff but their prices are a bit higher.

Don't even try gunbroker. Not sure about Armslist.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spent some time reading through this thread over the past couple of days. I am definitely a firearms novice and learned quite a bit. One thing that I noticed is that several people with extensive collections use a pump shotgun for home defense. I'm curious as to the reason some prefer a pump over a semiauto shotgun for home defense. I always thought that it was a factor of cost, but after seeing some of the other guns people own, I don't think this is the case. It seems to me that in a pressure situation you would want a semiauto. What is the logic going with a pump?

Spent some time reading through this thread over the past couple of days. I am definitely a firearms novice and learned quite a bit. One thing that I noticed is that several people with extensive collections use a pump shotgun for home defense. I'm curious as to the reason some prefer a pump over a semiauto shotgun for home defense. I always thought that it was a factor of cost, but after seeing some of the other guns people own, I don't think this is the case. It seems to me that in a pressure situation you would want a semiauto. What is the logic going with a pump?

They work. every. single. time.

;)

Mossberg claims the Model 500 is the only shotgun to pass the US Army's Mil-Spec 3443E test, "a brutal and unforgiving torture test with 3,000 rounds of full power 12 gauge buckshot".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mossberg_500#Military_use

They work. every. single. time.

;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mossberg_500#Military_use

I always had less issues with semiautos jamming than pump. Granted this was 20 years ago shooting skeet. How does the test that you cite compare with the Remington 1100 claim to fame?

The model 1100 holds the record for the most shells fired out of an autoloading shotgun without malfunction, cleaning or parts breakage with a record of over 24,000 rounds. The record was set in 1978 with a Remington model 1100 LT-20. Breaking this record has been attempted with several other models of Semi auto shotguns but has yet to be broken.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_1100

I always had less issues with semiautos jamming than pump. Granted this was 20 years ago shooting skeet. How does the test that you cite compare with the Remington 1100 claim to fame?

The model 1100 holds the record for the most shells fired out of an autoloading shotgun without malfunction, cleaning or parts breakage with a record of over 24,000 rounds. The record was set in 1978 with a Remington model 1100 LT-20. Breaking this record has been attempted with several other models of Semi auto shotguns but has yet to be broken.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_1100

You can't go wrong. Mossberg 500. Remington 870 or 1100. Benalli M4. There is no wrong choice. When it comes down to it I like pump because there is less that CAN go wrong. Not autofeeder system to jam, no gas system to clean, less moving parts...all of it adds up. You can't go wrong but I choose pump.

Plus they make a badass sound when you chamber a round! ;)

I've never been a fan of semi auto shotguns.... Namely because I've never trusted their safety, especially with smaller shooters... I'm a big guy.... My wife isn't... Shotguns kick like a mule,,,, when they kick with a smaller, inexperienced shooter, that muzzle goes all over the place. And I prefer to not have a shell in the chamber until the shooter has that back in control....

Watch the "women try joe Biden's advice" video. It's hilarious... But some of those women could have easily had a second, unintentional, discharge that would have decaped them, or killed people nearby.... No thanks.

Shotguns kick like a mule,,,, when they kick with a smaller, inexperienced shooter, that muzzle goes all over the place. And I prefer to not have a shell in the chamber until the shooter has that back in control....

GOSPEL

Did you get one?

No. Not yet... Debating about the 25 extra bucks....

No. Not yet... Debating about the 25 extra bucks....

Holy crap just do it. ;)

I need a semi auto MP5k clone. Any recommendations? I will be NFA'ing it and adding the HK foregrip and folding stock. I wish I could afford a REAL MP5k-PDW but a full auto just isn't going to happen right now.

Watch this video and assume all of those Shotty's have a round in the chamber when they take off. (Some of them do)

Holy crap just do it. ;)

I need a semi auto MP5k clone. Any recommendations? I will be NFA'ing it and adding the HK foregrip and folding stock. I wish I could afford a REAL MP5k-PDW but a full auto just isn't going to happen right now.

I know... I'm a cheap fcuking bastard...

I have a late model Coharie. Mp5k. Regd aow right now. Good gun. Runs like a champ out of the box.

Thanks for the replies. Hadn't seen that video. One more question. Wouldn't a semi auto have less kick than a pump since some of the energy is used through the gas system expelling the shell instead of being transfered to the shooter? I realize that it will still kick, but seem like this may be better for a less experienced shooters.

I also don't understand why some of those women in the video were given pistol grip shotguns to shoot for the first time. Seems like a recipe for disaster.

Watch this video and assume all of those Shotty's have a round in the chamber when they take off. (Some of them do)

Wow those women were being tossed all over the place by the recoil.

I guess I just take it for granted when shooting my mossberg as I am 6' 2" and over 200#.

On another note, I am curious if it is a prerequisite for a CBS interviewer to hand over his balls before interviewing the vice president as this guy asking Biden questions sounds like he is as queer as they get.

Thanks for the replies. Hadn't seen that video. One more question. Wouldn't a semi auto have less kick than a pump since some of the energy is used through the gas system expelling the shell instead of being transfered to the shooter? I realize that it will still kick, but seem like this may be better for a less experienced shooters.

Like asking "would you rather get punched in the balls or kicked in the balls?" Still a lot of recoil.

The 870 pump is THE LEO shotgun. Used by just about EVERY AGENCY IN THE U.S. There are a lot of reasons for that.

But... The #1 reason female candidates drop out of Police Academies, is because they can't pass the Course Of Fire with the Shotgun. That hasn't caused LEOs to adopt semi. Instead they adopted low recoil ammo.

Speed is not an issue with a shotgun... EITHER pump or semi will be reloaded before you get sights back on target... And thats all that matters...

When I shot a shotgun, my uncle was standing behind me and was holding the gun with me just so I wouldn't have the same result as these women in the video did. I just don't understand these politicians who blab out statements without any real knowledge.

My favorite is the woman from CA or CT I think, who said people who go into a place to shoot others will not if the people are unarmed since they will feel bad, its human nature. :aiwebs_013:

When I shot a shotgun, my uncle was standing behind me and was holding the gun with me just so I wouldn't have the same result as these women in the video did. I just don't understand these politicians who blab out statements without any real knowledge.

My favorite is the woman from CA or CT I think, who said people who go into a place to shoot others will not if the people are unarmed since they will feel bad, its human nature. :aiwebs_013:

Pretty sure that was Dianne Fienstein, the senator from CA who was heading up the AWB....She's as delusional as they get.

Pretty sure that was Dianne Fienstein, the senator from CA who was heading up the AWB....She's as delusional as they get.

Yep... Just ONE, of the millions of STUPID fcuking THINGS, she has said...

For example...

If... God Forbid... Im ever shot... And you happen top be the only fcuking person around, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, for the LOVE OF GOD, do not follow Diane Feinstein's medical advice and "Stick your motherfucking fingers in the bullet wounds to feel for a pulse."

I'm no Doctor, but I took sixth grade first aid and know THATS NOT HOW YOU fcuking DO IT!

Christ almighty.... That bitch has ridden that fcuking murder for the last 35 years... Seriously... Her rich fcuking husband BOUGHT her a fcuking seat on the San Francisco City Council, probably to get her fat ass out of his hair for a few hours a week.... And then within a few seconds of one city councilman killing two others, she noticed the obvious power vacuum and room for her own career advancement and stepped out in front of the camera and took over the city faster than Al Haig could say "Im in control!"

That made her Mayor of the most INSANE CITY in the United States, and she traded that for a gig as a United States fcuking Senator.... Are you fcuking kidding me? And they make fun of Sarah Palin?

Just because you happen to have been in the same building when a murder happened, DOES NOT MAKE YOU A fcuking EXPERT ON GUNS.... If it did, every resident of every fcuking housing project from here to hackensack would be working for the ATF.

"Ive seen the damage cause by bullets that implode, blah blah blah..." Yeah... Whoa is you Diane, you've had it so fcuking hard... I feel so bad for you I just want to let you trample all over me so you can finally get some closure.... Why don't you go nail yourself to a fcuking cross and be done with it, and leave the rest of us alone...