I really need to buy a new gun...

Roman

post-14782-1341187286_thumb.jpg

Updated pic of my AR15.

As for the google situation... I find it odd that big corporations are so quick to take stands on big social issues. Seems pretty risk no matter what side you land on. I do find it funny how discovery and history channel have so many gun related shows yet refuse to advertise. It is a strange world we live in.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to buy an AR and start a build, but prices are so inflated right now (at least at every gun show I've been to). Everyone is scared "guvment" is going to take them away anyday now. I'd love to buy one, but I'm not paying THAT much over what they should be priced.

i'm about to pick up a P90 and FN five-seven combo. should be good for putting holes through paper. would have done it this weekend but apparently some show had the five seven on it recently and they flew off the shelves at my local place.

Very nice Fergy! jhbchess - I own a FN five-seven and love it! The P90 is great for CQB and the 50 round mag is great! Not as fast to reload as a AR but still very nice.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got a Savage MK 2 FV (heavy barrel) in 22lr. I wanted a gun that I could shoot all day long and not break the bank and still learn how to target shoot and i didnt want a 10/22. I already have a boyds tacticoool stock on order as well as a bipod. I have installed a simons 3x9 x40mm scope and plan on taking it to the range on sunday.

SAVAGE1203807.jpg

not my gun but i will take a few picks at the range

After the recent zombie attack in Florida, I've made some preparations. aaqd9.jpg

YES!!!!!!!!!!

Definitely get an AR! Prices are not up that much (poor excuse) and they are certainly not going to come back down! I have several AR's.

In that last pic, it looks like your battlecomp is on upside down?

My attorney just finished up my NFA trust the other day, I've already got a Bravo company and LMT lower on the way that are going to get SBR'd. I've also got a SS match 5R 16" barrel with enhanced bolt coming to be dropped into my current LMT MRP CQB to be used in a 'recce' role. I've got a 145 acre ranch, and need something that's good out to 500 yards in case I have to take a shot at things that eat my deer and turkeys like bobcats, coyotes, or foxes. the CL barrel is damn good already, but this'll give me that extra bit.

I've got a Nightforce 1-4 with the FC-2 reticle, and it's a great all-around optic from point blank out to the maximum effective range of a 5.56. The reticle even matches my holdovers out to 500 yards using the 50/200 IBZ.

I recently attended a 2 day CQB class and a 4 day carbine class, probably fired 4,000 rounds total pistol/rifle, 2,500 total through my LMT without a single malfunction. I just cleaned it at a total round count of just over 3,000, mainly to check the internals and prep it for being rattlecanned in the next couple days. As long as it is kept lubed, an good quality AR will damn near run forever. If you doubt me, just google 'Filthy 14' and 'Pat Rogers'.

1734fea9e6437efc.jpg

RD,

Can you deobfuscate the last sentence here

I read it as being screwed.

Its sort of "the Cheese stands alone" theory of international law... Meaning onvce the rest of the world is on board, even if youre not, youre going to be held to the rule in the ICJ... Which sounds scarey, but really, THE ICJ is always trying to screw with us, and we give it a big- :jack:

Bottom line, Im not very afraid of this treaty.... Its NEVER going to pass the Senate.... And, bottom line, the U.N. has less power now than it ever has...

The big deal with this treaty is that it seeks to make arms sales to "Non- UN member states" illegal.... Well, "Who isn't a member of the U.N. anymore??? Ill tell you who- TAIWAN. Thats who... And there is ZERO chance we sign onto that...

I don't mean to start a big debate about the AR. I know lots of guys use them, love them, etc. But I just think it was a rushed and flawed design from the get go. It has too many quirks that can go wrong - making the gun very finnicky. Mine was a brand new, out of the box Colt Sporter Target Model, brand new magazines, mil-spec ammo, and it jammed. Unacceptable. It was in prefect working order.

AK47- Some Romanian/US parts gun. Very low tolerances, crap construction but a solid design from the get-go. Old surplus mags and shit ammo - and it is a absolute beast. In event of Zombie Apocalypse, it's AK all the way for me. (Or HK's 416 - the redesigned AR).

I'm sure a well-tuned, well-assembled (custom) AR is fine. I'm also sure most work just fine out of the box/off the shelf, but I just can't get used to them. The whole idea of a forward assist just baffles me. Why can't the bolt work on it's on without one? Why is the charging handle in the WORST possible place? Why does the dust cover constantly come loose? Why must it be cleaned so meticulously, whereas the AK can be dragged through Hell and back, and still fire? For me it's like a S&W Semiauto vs. a Glock. Both fire (theoretically), but which one can really sustain combat use?

Prove me wrong or try to change my opinion - it's nothing personal. I don't claim to know everything, just my .02.

My last class was a 3 day AR/1 day AK class, and we had more AKs break on the morning of the 1 day than we had ARs go down during the 3 day portion, and those AKs were hard breakdowns where the gun was completely unusable. We even had a couple charging handles break off!

However, their accuracy was better than the AK reputation would leave you to believe. This was a Haley Strategic class, and after my rental went down, Travis let me use his custom AK that Jim Fuller at Rifle Dynamics built for him, and I had no problem pinging steel at 350 yards even with an unmagnified aimpoint T-1.

The secret to having a reliable AR (1) buy a top tier AR, like Colt, BCM, LMT, Noveske, etc, and (2) keep it lubed with a good quality lube. Pat Rogers of EAG tactical has one AR called 'Filthy 14' that is up to 44K rounds with only 2 cleanings, and it's been damn reliable. The secret is the keep it lubed with a good lube like slip 2000 EWL, machine gunner's lube, or even motor oil. The guy on the line next to me used a light weight axle grease on his suppressed SBR LMT, and he only cleans it every 4-6,000 rounds, and it ran like a top.

The secret to having a reliable AR (1) buy a top tier AR, like Colt, BCM, LMT, Noveske, etc, and

You must frequent AR15.com. :) (BTW you forgot KAC)

You must frequent AR15.com. :) (BTW you forgot KAC)

Yeah, I spend time there. Not a bad site, but IMO lightfighter has a better SNR, given that that site is populated by a lot of true HSLD BTDT guys.

I like KAC, one of my friends has a KAC fetish and we were shooting his suppressed SR25 with a t-50 thermal scope about a month ago. The cool thing for him is he's a former Marine and current PMC (private military contractor) so all his guns are tax write offs.

Great guns, but a touch on the expensive side. I'm a BCM and LMT kool-aid drinker.

Great guns, but a touch on the expensive side. I'm a BCM and LMT kool-aid drinker.

I drank all the kool-aid hard. Got a few from all those shops (although no KAC yet, was going to get one this month to put in the collection but shop had one of the Colt SOCOMs with the M4 rollmark and I wanted that). Probably got the noveske bug the worst. Live in a ban state now so all my lowers are preban but I have BCM or Noveske uppers on them. Trying to find a N6 Leonidas (12.5 inch, 308cal) upper for an AR10 lower I sent in SBR paper work on. :)

I'm going to scour through here and find the best info on building my own AR. It'd be too easy to just buy one, it's far more fun to build it. It'd be a helluva lot cheaper to shoot than my AK47 and I think my girlfriend would enjoy shooting it as well.

Here's a tough question: What type(s) of gun lubricants/oils do you guys prefer? There is of course a wealth of information on gun forums, but like many forums, the debate rages on and no conclusion is found.

I'm currently using "Clenzoil" on the frame and internals (non moving/sliding). And Tetra lithium grease on the slide/bolt of of all my weapons. So far it's been good. I'm still getting the gunky grease off my AK (from when it was shipped/new).

I have heard many stories of guys using heavy motor oil or really unconventional lubricants (machine grease) on their guns and reporting good results. This is something that I've heard about many times but never used: http://www.militec-1.com/

Thoughts?

I'm going to scour through here and find the best info on building my own AR. It'd be too easy to just buy one, it's far more fun to build it. It'd be a helluva lot cheaper to shoot than my AK47 and I think my girlfriend would enjoy shooting it as well.

Here's a tough question: What type(s) of gun lubricants/oils do you guys prefer? There is of course a wealth of information on gun forums, but like many forums, the debate rages on and no conclusion is found.

I'm currently using "Clenzoil" on the frame and internals (non moving/sliding). And Tetra lithium grease on the slide/bolt of of all my weapons. So far it's been good. I'm still getting the gunky grease off my AK (from when it was shipped/new).

I have heard many stories of guys using heavy motor oil or really unconventional lubricants (machine grease) on their guns and reporting good results. This is something that I've heard about many times but never used: http://www.militec-1.com/

Thoughts?

I use CLP for general cleaning the Receiver parts.... Once its nice and clean, I grease the bolt rings and the carrier runners (and and the buffer spring during the build) with white lithium... Whatever they have at the hardware store. I use Hoppes and Copper Cleaner on the barrel and chamber.... wipe down with silicon cloth and a drop of Hoppes oil down the barrel if Im storing it. Thats it.

I cant remember the last time I had any type of failure with my ARs...

Ok legal question here. I know the minimum barrel length is 16 inches but can i do a 14.5 inch barrel and then pin a 1.5 inch (minimum) muzzle break/flash hider/compensator to make it a "16 inch barrel"?

Ok legal question here. I know the minimum barrel length is 16 inches but can i do a 14.5 inch barrel and then pin a 1.5 inch (minimum) muzzle break/flash hider/compensator to make it a "16 inch barrel"?

Yes. Just make sure you pin it. It has to be "permenant".

Any advice on what to look for as far as STRIPPED AR-15 lower receivers goes? I am looking at starting there then building it as time goes on, sort of a hobby gun. My only experience with ARs was my old preban Colt Sporter, which didn't have the quick takedown pins (I believe that's what it's called).

Any brands or what to look out for? Hoping to build it from the ground up.

Any advice on what to look for as far as STRIPPED AR-15 lower receivers goes? I am looking at starting there then building it as time goes on, sort of a hobby gun. My only experience with ARs was my old preban Colt Sporter, which didn't have the quick takedown pins (I believe that's what it's called).

Any brands or what to look out for? Hoping to build it from the ground up.

Unless you get some exotic, super lightweight, nasa shooting space gun material, a lower receiver is a lower receiver... I know this is going to sound difficult to understand, but once you build it from scratch you'll realize the truth in the statement, It really doesnt DO MUCH in terms of making the gun operate. As long as its well made and in spec, you wont be able to tell one from another. And the only real QC issues I've ever come across is maybe some filings left in the holes that you have to dig out with some air or a pick... And I dont know that one brand is any better than another on stuff like that...

So.. Having said all that, I like MEGA Machine. I built both of my ARs on Mega Lowers...

I also like Tactical Machining... They have probably the BEST prices on stripped receivers out there, and Ive never heard any complaints (except maybe slow in keeping up with orders). And, if I were to build another 5.56, Id probably go with them

You can spend a SHITLOAD more, but in my experience, I dont see that you get anything for that money...

HOWEVER, dont skimp everywhere... Get a GOOD quality parts kit (I use DPMS) THESE are the parts that MOVE, and FAIL if they arent well made...

Think about spending some money on an upgraded trigger system if thats your thing- (I like Geisselle, but they are pricey.)

Finally- spend your money on the front end of the UPPER. Get a good barrel with a decent twist, (I recommend 1:7 for 5.56) and obviously, the tac-ti-cool/CDI Factor foreend tubes are personal preference and is where prices can really fluctuate.

Thanks RD! I'll check those out. I want to take my time with the build (I'm in no hurry) and know that it starts with the lower, then moves all the way up to optics (last usually). Still not even sure what sort of setup I want to have...

EDIT: I like the look of the Mega lower. All I would do is probably color in the "SAFE/FIRE" with red and white crayon (Seems to hold up) - have you ever done this?

Thanks RD! I'll check those out. I want to take my time with the build (I'm in no hurry) and know that it starts with the lower, then moves all the way up to optics (last usually). Still not even sure what sort of setup I want to have...

EDIT: I like the look of the Mega lower. All I would do is probably color in the "SAFE/FIRE" with red and white crayon (Seems to hold up) - have you ever done this?

I always color in my markings, but I use these Get one red and one white, they last forever.