I really need to buy a new gun...

Roman

Took my 700PSS .308 out the other day for the first time in years. Shot decent but decided to get some new glass for it. Heres the result after the new glass:

Rem 700PSS .308

168g FGMM ammo

3 shots @100 yards

.220" center to center

post-7442-1347992219_thumb.jpg

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took my 700PSS .308 out the other day for the first time in years. Shot decent but decided to get some new glass for it. Heres the result after the new glass:

Rem 700PSS .308

168g FGMM ammo

3 shots @100 yards

.220" center to center

NICE!

.220" center to center

wow impressive!

Is keeping a round in the chamber, racked and ready, a bad idea for a 12 gauge for home defense?

Not at all! The "danger" is keeping a 12Ga tube magazine (the type found on most all shotguns like Mossy 500/590, Remington 870, etc) loaded for long period because the plastic hulls can deform under the pressure. Then you start shooting them and they can get wedged in your chamber, making extraction difficult. This has happened with my home defense SBS in the past.... not sure how to avoid it while keeping the magazine full at the same time.

I don't know if the drum mags (Saigas, for example) have the same problem? Might have to switch to that for HD.

My HD gun is a Mossberg Tactical 500, not sure if that makes any difference.

Yours looks about 10x more fun and "tactical" than mine. I like what you did with it.

• 4 weeks later...

Was about to go AR 308 (Sig 716) and guy at work starts telling me 300 Blackout is the way to go. Uses same mag, lower, BCG as M4. I'm just not normally attracted to unproven stuff that's hot because it just hit the market. Any 300 experience/advice here?

Izzurider - nice!

West Palm, what are you wanting to know on 300 Win Mag?

My new acquisition...McMillan Tac 50...getting ready for goodies...

post-10287-1350394278_thumb.jpg

My new acquisition...McMillan Tac 50...getting ready for goodies...

Sweet! What's going on top??

Are you on AZS? There was a guy out of Flag selling a new M82A1 a couple years ago... I debated that long and hard, but ultimately passed... I miss my old 50.

Any 300 experience/advice here?

I have a 300 Win short mag. Took down a 1000lb Bull Elk with one shot.

Was about to go AR 308 (Sig 716) and guy at work starts telling me 300 Blackout is the way to go. Uses same mag, lower, BCG as M4. I'm just not normally attracted to unproven stuff that's hot because it just hit the market. Any 300 experience/advice here?

Somebody was watching Guns And Gear this week... They did a piece on the blackout and whisper...

If the US military doesn't shoot it, why would you want to?

Stick to STANDARD calibers.... Its much easier to get shit for them (including brass/ammo)... especially in periods of shortage...

You CAN kill any animal in North America with a well placed .308. If you are going after bear, you probably want something a little bigger, because its your ass... But its not an absolute requirement...

So If .308 just isnt big enough, or you plan to shoot prarie dogs from 1000 yards,- go to .300 win mag, or .338 LM (or .50bmg for crazy shits & giggles)... The only exception is if you plan to Hunt in Africa, in which case you need to go with one of the proven Africa legal big game rounds (.375HH, 416R or the 458WM)

If you want to collect weird calibers, thats fine, but they should be in addition to the Plain Vanilla goto guns you already have...

Izzurider - nice!

West Palm, what are you wanting to know on 300 Win Mag?

300 blackout. not 300 Win Mag.

Basically I want to know how much of a world of difference there is between 308 and 300 blackout. Supposed to have close to the same muzzle energy but effective range is 200 yards shy. Just looking for hands on opinions.

Somebody was watching Guns And Gear this week... They did a piece on the blackout and whisper...

If the US military doesn't shoot it, why would you want to?

Stick to STANDARD calibers.... Its much easier to get shit for them (including brass/ammo)... especially in periods of shortage...

You CAN kill any animal in North America with a well placed .308. If you are going after bear, you probably want something a little bigger, because its your ass... But its not an absolute requirement...

So If .308 just isnt big enough, or you plan to shoot prarie dogs from 1000 yards,- go to .300 win mag, or .338 LM (or .50bmg for crazy shits & giggles)... The only exception is if you plan to Hunt in Africa, in which case you need to go with one of the proven Africa legal big game rounds (.375HH, 416R or the 458WM)

If you want to collect weird calibers, thats fine, but they should be in addition to the Plain Vanilla goto guns you already have...

that was what I was thinking but sometimes the hype starts to get in your head.

Uzzirider - Mark 6 – horus h 59, front focal plane scope, locking turret knobs. The Mark 6 has different glass than the mark 4. 18x mag, 44mm http://www.leupold.com/tactical/scopes/ I also have a Mark 6 coming for an AR.

What is AZS ? I am not a member on any firearm boards if that is what you are asking.

I agree with Romandad - end of World scenario you will want simple 5.56/.223 or .308 rifles with 9, 40, 45 cal sidearm. I love my FN 5.7 but that will not be a sidearm in this scenario bc ammo will be near impossible to stumble upon.

West Palm - I would only go to a 300 BO if the 308 is too powerful for my needs (hope that answers your question). the 308 is a much more diverse ammo and would be the one I would rather have personally over a 300 BO. I would take a 300 Win Mag over a 308. If you have a more specific question let me know.

Uzzirider - Mark 6

Great glass! back when I was into 50's, NightForce seemed to dominate the market. Are they still competitive? I'm outta that loop.

AZS is arizonashooting.com. Pretty good site for local stuff, but of course the usual gun board silliness.

I think 300 BO really shines as a round to used suppressed.

But whats the point? Subsonic 308 is available.

We shouldnt really even be comparing the .300BO to the .308. The 300 BO is designed to provide MORE bang to the 5.56. Not compete with the 308.

But whats the point? Subsonic 308 is available.

We shouldnt really even be comparing the .300BO to the .308. The 300 BO is designed to provide MORE bang to the 5.56. Not compete with the 308.

My understanding is that 300BO is a CQB round to be used in SBR's. I don't think any .308 fills that roll (I have a 12.5 inch AR10 upper and 25 round mags, I think that is about as small as you can go on .308 and high capacity, the end result is a rifle that is heaver than my normal 14.5 AR15s with 30 rounds). 300BO fits the AR15 form factor, has good performance in 9 inch barrel, has 30 round capacity, uses less powder than 5.56, uses standard bolt....

I agree 100% shouldn't be comparing 300BO to 308.

Note I own a bunch of 5.56 and .308 ARs but no .300BO, and I have no plans on getting a 300BO as 5.56 will fill all my CQB needs I would ever have in real life.

My understanding is that 300BO is a CQB round to be used in SBR's. I don't think any .308 fills that roll (I have a 12.5 inch AR10 upper and 25 round mags, I think that is about as small as you can go on .308 and high capacity, the end result is a rifle that is heaver than my normal 14.5 AR15s with 30 rounds). 300BO fits the AR15 form factor, has good performance in 9 inch barrel, has 30 round capacity, uses less powder than 5.56, uses standard bolt....

I agree 100% shouldn't be comparing 300BO to 308.

Note I own a bunch of 5.56 and .308 ARs but no .300BO, and I have no plans on getting a 300BO as 5.56 will fill all my CQB needs I would ever have in real life.

I would have no prob with CQB and an AR10 or Mk14... Yes... Definitely a little heaver and slower follow up.... But... no question that what you hit goes down...

CQB with a 223, you want Mozambique drills on every target just to be sure...

Im thinking about getting a suppressor for one of my guns. But man every time I think about it I just think for that same price or a little more I could buy a whole new gun. So I may just get a 1911 that Ive always wanted and call it a day. Im thinking a Kimber. Any reason why to or not to get a Kimber over any other models?