I really need to buy a new gun...

Roman

The fees to get the necessary paperwork, approvals etc. isn't the main cost I'm worried about. I need to find out how much the machines cost to make the ammunition and how many people it takes to run them. I'm not talking about selling a few thousand rounds. I want to sell millions of rounds/month.

El_Chorizo,

I did a bit of digging to see if I could help in this question. I found a company called Mast Technology Inc. They sell ammunition manufacturing machinery sold as-is, or fully reconditioned and tooled. They also sell complete production lines. On their FAQ they state that a single rebuilt machine from them can range from US$35,000 - US$200,000. "Typically 1/3 the rebuilt price is the price of the 'as-is' machine." They prefer to quote specifics, but that's an idea of cost.

Here's the rest of their FAQ if you or anyone else is interested: Mast Tech FAQ

As far as a current huge ammunition manufacturer goes...

Olin Corp (OLN), manufacturer of Winchester ammunition, has roughly $328.6m in assets related to their Winchester segment as of fiscal year Dec 2011. Sales from that segment are $572m for same fiscal year Dec 2011.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad who is a gun fanatic like RD and Charlie just told me prices of Certain AR's are already selling $300 higher this week than last week.

Are guns the new gold?

I was listening to Bloomberg News Wednesday morning and they had some hedge fund guy on... Anchor asked him "Bottom line, Stocks? Bonds? Commodities? If an investor is looking to protect their money right now what should they buy?"

"A machine gun."

I was listening to Bloomberg News Wednesday morning and they had some hedge fund guy on... Anchor asked him "Bottom line, Stocks? Bonds? Commodities? If an investor is looking to protect their money right now what should they buy?"

"A machine gun."

This was a $950 to $1300 jump in the blink of an eye. I think my father has 4 or 5 of them.

Crazy.

I bet my Benelli is much more expensive than the $850 I paid for it too.

fcuk! I was looking to pick up an AR in the next week or so. Going ot the Bill Goodmans gun show tomorrow....

Pack a lunch.

I don't leave home w/o it.

can I ask what you carry?

Also if someone is knowledgeable how hard is it to get a CCW license in Los Angeles? Ive never really considered it until recently and from what ive read you have to prove that you are in danger?

At the moment I have a HK P2000 SK 9mm loaded with federal HST JHP 124 grain which I keep at home but lately I have started to feel like I need to begin carrying it

lol

Are you an actor, politician, or very, very, very wealthy?

neither of those

i own a few properties in the area and over the years have evicted and sued former tenants for non payment, damage, etc. have been theatend many times but the last time just sounded alittle different so im looking into the option of a CCW license.

I grew up in KA and lived in the 213 from '00 to '04... For nearly all intents and purposes, you can't get a CCW in a metro CA area. Your "right" to self defense is trumped by their fear of it. Unless you are famous, in which case you are more valuable than the average citizen and an exception is made.

I grew up in KA and lived in the 213 from '00 to '04... For nearly all intents and purposes, you can't get a CCW in a metro CA area. Your "right" to self defense is trumped by their fear of it. Unless you are famous, in which case you are more valuable than the average citizen and an exception is made.

a family friend of mine has over half a dozen pawnshops in the los angeles area and has a CCW permit, going to give him a call later to day and ask how he got it

Also if someone is knowledgeable how hard is it to get a CCW license in Los Angeles? Ive never really considered it until recently and from what ive read you have to prove that you are in danger?

At the moment I have a HK P2000 SK 9mm loaded with federal HST JHP 124 grain which I keep at home but lately I have started to feel like I need to begin carrying it

My CCW is an HK USP9 compact loaded with 124gr Speer Gold Dot in a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster.

You came to the right place.... Without tooting my own horn, I think its safe to say I know as much or more about the issue of CCW in California than anybody else.... I DO have a California CCW BTW...

Shoot me a PM.

Ok, after Sandy and the way animals started behaving, it's time to protect my shit. I need advice on a handgun and would a rifle or shotgun be a better "home protector", and which one?

Ok, after Sandy and the way animals started behaving, it's time to protect my shit. I need advice on a handgun and would a rifle or shotgun be a better "home protector", and which one?

Can some post the "default video" please.

I always recommend Heckler & Koch handguns, at the end of the day they are the best. Made in Germany from some of the finest materials they are alittle more expensive but you pay for what you get. My best advice would be to travel to a gun store and handel a few different HK handguns, you need to feel them and touch them and choose one that you are more comfortable with.

here is the HK websites handgun section:

http://www.hk-usa.com/civilian_products/pistols.asp

a good all around handgun is the USP, i currently have the P2000 SK which is a more advanced version of the USP compact.

when choosing a caliber its important to choose what you feel most comfortable shooting - I personally enjoy 9mm, its extremely easy for me to lay 11 rounds (10+1) center body mass without any issues. Federal HST JHP ammo opens up like umbrellas on impact so you never have to worry about stopping power.

with HKs there are also different types of triggers, i use the LEM trigger which i enjoy. There are different types of options but ive noticed they tend to confuse people so its best to buy whats available and modify it later.

for me personally a handgun is all you need, you need to become very comfortable with it until it becomes an extension of your arm, go to the range as much as you can, you need to come to the point where when you raise the gun your sights line up perfectly and you feel 100% confident you will lay every single bullet center mass in the solar plexus.

shotguns are also pretty good, you may want to look into the Benelli M4. Its a semi-automatic shotgun which means you dont need to pump the shotgun after each shot you just keep pulling the trigger until you need to reload. A really good rifle is the HK 556A1, they are alittle expensive but the technology behind it is very impressive and I wish we could have them in Cali because i would definetly have 2.

For shotguns the Benelli M4 is one of the best you can get but also $$$ but semiauto is nice to have. The 2 other home defense shotguns everyone will tell you are the Mossberg 500 Tactical and the Remington 870 Express Tactical. Both are pump action, but are realiable and well made for what you are looking for.

I have both the 870 and Mossberg 500, if I had to chose one, I would go with the 870. It has a higher capacity magazine and an overall better feel in my hands.

I like and have a Mossburg pump action shotgun for at the house.

I like it because:

1) I live in the country on 5 acres so I do not worry about the shot hitting a neighbors house or traveling forever

2) If you need it in the dark, you do not need to be spot on accurate you just need point at the threat as the spread and discharge is going to do the rest.

3) It holds 6 shots

4) It is fairly compact about 30" in length

5) It is relatively inexpensive, about $400.00 dollars

Finally it looks F_ing intimidating, if you pull it out on someone they know you mean business.

mossberg_500_410_18.jpg

I have a Remington 870 Police Magnum that I like a lot. Parkerized finish, heavy duty lifter. Mine looks like the top pic, but I would like to get the accessories for the modular combat system.

I got to shoot my LE friend's M4, man I want one of these. I'm a rifle noob and with this sight and 5 minutes of coaching I was grouping them like it was a video game.

870p_18in.png

870mcs.png

m4_m4.jpg

m4.jpg

For home defense you can never beat a shotgun! That way your wife can easily defend her person as well. So, you should get a side arm and get a shotgun for the wife. Remingtion 870 for a pump is great and inexpensive option. The best option I think personally is a Saiga. Here is an image...

post-10287-1353079698.jpg

For home defense you can never beat a shotgun! That way your wife can easily defend her person as well. So, you should get a side arm and get a shotgun for the wife. Remingtion 870 for a pump is great and inexpensive option. The best option I think personally is a Saiga. Here is an image...

you not only want to shoot the badguy through the wall, but take out your bigscreen in the process!

As for handguns go to a range that rents them. Shoot a few or all of them and buy what feels good in your hands. Everyone is different. Personally I'm not a glock guy but that's just me. If you aren't familiar with handguns get something easy to disassemble/clean.

Shotguns...most of the other replies are good. Id stick with a pump action for home defense purposes

Rifle...ar15 or AK.