Things that make you say DAMN!

88 1/2 QV

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does it need so many engines?

If a couple get shot, you can still outrun the police. They seldom use all at the same time.

If a couple get shot, you can still outrun the police. They seldom use all at the same time.

In the case of the rib, thats one factor, the other is high HP to weight ratio. Back in the old days when bad guys were using two stroke mercury motors, multiple motors were primarily used because of the high HP/weight ratio and because one of the motors usually blew up during the run on its own! Later when it became legal for the police to shoot at the bad guys during pursuit, you obviously wanted multiple motors so if one got shot, the others got you home. Although I built several four outboard speedboats (well before it became popular for recreational boaters to have that set up), I always preferred lightweight triple diesel powered speedboats with stern drives. Much harder to disable since the target was more difficult to get at (meaning inside the boat much closer to people than outside the boat hanging off the back) and what most people don't realize is they offered better RANGE! My triple 300hp diesel 40' speedboat had nearly 38 hours of range at 50 knots, try that with outboards! Not to mention the chopper that would pursue didn't have nearly that much range.

^That last pic has to be the single most disturbing picture I have ever seen. And I've seen just about everything.

I agree, what the hell is this painted bird?

• 2 weeks later...