In Beverly Hills Porsche= ZERO

Allan-Herbie

So after several months of owning my 997TT, I have to say that I actually really like the car.. Ive learned to use the tip buttons when I wanna have fun, and the auto is great for city use... That being said, in Beverly Hills this car gets ZERO..and I mean ZERO respect... Anytime I go to a valet, like for example today when I parked off Rodeo by Via Rodeo they park it completely in the back.. The entire front line was open, with a mercedes or two upfront... and they park the Porsche in the back.. This happened the last I came with the Porsche too. Come in the Lambo, the Bentley etc, car goes straight up front... Last time i was there, they parked my car in back with a lone Jaguar upfront.. If you tell Valets to keep it front, they look at you with a puzzled look as if it to say "why" ..

In a way, this is a good thing, as I wanted to blend in, but good god, I expected it to get atleast some respect... NONE.. Actually kind of pisses me off..

Another example is one of my workers, very nice guy and he meant no disrespect. He sees I got a new car, and he asks if I mind him asking what does a car like that cost.. I replied as to what he thought it would cost.. He responded 40k? :lol2: :eusa_wall: :rant:

I wonder if it will change once I mod it..

That being said, in Beverly Hills this car gets ZERO..and I mean ZERO respect... Anytime I go to a valet, like for example today when I parked off Rodeo by Via Rodeo they park it completely in the back.. The entire

Guess what Allan? IT'S TIME TO STEP UP!

So after several months of owning my 997TT, I have to say that I actually really like the car.. Ive learned to use the tip buttons when I wanna have fun, and the auto is great for city use... That being said, in Beverly Hills this car gets ZERO..and I mean ZERO respect... Anytime I go to a valet, like for example today when I parked off Rodeo by Via Rodeo they park it completely in the back.. The entire front line was open, with a mercedes or two upfront... and they park the Porsche in the back.. This happened the last I came with the Porsche too. Come in the Lambo, the Bentley etc, car goes straight up front... Last time i was there, they parked my car in back with a lone Jaguar upfront.. If you tell Valets to keep it front, they look at you with a puzzled look as if it to say "why" ..

In a way, this is a good thing, as I wanted to blend in, but good god, I expected it to get atleast some respect... NONE.. Actually kind of pisses me off..

Another example is one of my workers, very nice guy and he meant no disrespect. He sees I got a new car, and he asks if I mind him asking what does a car like that cost.. I replied as to what he thought it would cost.. He responded 40k? :lol2: :eusa_wall: :rant:

I wonder if it will change once I mod it..

It will never change, you can mod it to 1500hp it will always be a dime a dozen Porsche in Beverly Hills. My office is on Rodeo Dr I have been there for 33 years and the tourist hardly turn to look at a Bentley and the locals never do. If it isn't an exotic or really rare no one looks. You need to go to mid America for a Porsche to stand out.

It will never change, you can mod it to 1500hp it will always be a dime a dozen Porsche in Beverly Hills. My office is on Rodeo Dr I have been there for 33 years and the tourist hardly turn to look at a Bentley and the locals never do. If it isn't an exotic or really rare no one looks. You need to go to mid America for a Porsche to stand out.

Thats what gets me.. Im not looking for attention, just trying to figure out that how if inmo, after myself owning dozens of better, faster more exotic cars, if i can appreciate the car, how can others not?

I mean I know its no Lambo or what not, but they park Range Rovers upfront, E320 benzes etc... And stick a Turbo Porsche in the back?

Feel on candid camera:

After being in FL for a week I don't look at porsches unless its a great color. Too many takes time to figure out which and yes could be a boxer ...

Bentleys I look at but after a little it's like "yep, another silver bentley"

Allan you appreciate the car because you know it is a great performing car, and that rubs off...at least thats what I feel I could be way off.

benzes are parked in front because higher end benzes usually look more agressive/different from lower end models and old money image is there.

I went from a supercharged 99 NSX-T to a 01 996tt..........the Porsche was invisible.

The NSX got almost as much attention as my Gallardo does. I pass 50 porsches everyday on PCH to my office, whether it is a cayman, boxster or 911 they look so similar, 80% of them are some sort of silver and there are so many you barely even notice them.

Actually I am going to count how many Porsches I see tomorrow.

Although a Beverly Hills valet should know their cars a little better... I don't think it would be far-fetched to say that 95% of people can't tell the difference between a turbo/cayman or turbo cabriolet/boxter.

I sought of like the less attention my 996tt gets then did my gallardo, granted you do feel better when people notice your car.. but sometimes being low key is better, I am sure when you modify your porsche it will stand out.... but again you're in an area where it is a dime a dozen car just like here in "BOCA"

the Porsche was invisible.

I pass 50 porsches everyday on PCH to my office, whether it is a cayman, boxster or 911 they look so similar,

. :iamwithstupid:

80% of them are same sort of silver = Someone poured paint stripper over them during the night.

Come on Allan, every reasonably successful dentist/cpa drives a Porsche of some sort. And the fact that to the uneducated your $150k 997 Turbo S is indistinguishable from a 2001 996.

It's the upper middle class accord, what do you expect?

Sell the bentley and the porsche, keep the lambo for going fast, buy a standard length phantom for pimpin. LWB would be too much of a bitch to drive around town.

Back when I lived in L.A. (late 80's-mid 90's) we had a Saab Turbo SPG and a 911 Turbo, both new at the time. We'd go to a couple of restaurants in BH on a regular basis. Every time we drove the Saab it would get parked up front, every time we drove the Porsche it would get stuck in the back. I never could figure that one out. Then we traded the Saab in on an M3 and we achieved parity. From then on no matter which car we drove, they put them in the back!

It's not just Beverly Hills. It's here in Canada too. They don't get a second look. Reason being - the $300,000.00 2011 911 GT2 RS is indistinguishable to the average buyer from a used Boxster or Cayman.

I think the problem is to much of the public the 911 looks too much like the rest of the porsche line.

To them it could easily be a Boxter or Cayman.

You'll get the respect from the car guys at least...

Edit: Porter nailed it... need to start reading the whole thread :P

It's not just Beverly Hills. It's here in Canada too. They don't get a second look. Reason being - the $300,000.00 2011 911 GT2 RS is indistinguishable to the average buyer from a used Boxster or Cayman.

+1. Here in Ottawa, people can't see the difference between a 911 S and a 911 Turbo. We only have 2 911 Turbo's in Ottawa (one coupe, one cab) and I pointed it out to a bunch of friends and they're like "so?". I started laughing and realized that the minor details most people can't see. Not only that, but the appeal on the Porsche's are much difference. They don't have the low slung look that the Gallardo or NSX's mentioned have. And Porsche just isn't a badge strong enough to be put in the front like Mercedes. It's the weirdest thing ever.

They sell well and everyone has a boxster/cayman or base 911, so the top of the line models just don't get respect they should, it's like a neverending uphill battle. If those cars weren't as good as they were, they'd never sell because of this issue.

I think it will get more looks when heavily modded.

It is the same thing with the Plastic mess-R1. I was in the car with my wife the other day, and I was like look a Plastic mess-R1. She was like isn't that a POS. I said yes-How much do you think it costs. She says"I dont know $30,000." I started laughing like crazy.

Obviously cars like the CGT and upcoming 918 stand out from the pack, but stock vs. stock, 99.9% of the Porsches are indistinguishable by most. Especially from a distance of over 20-30 feet.

Dont get me wrong I think the 997TT's are amazing drivers, but they dont exert that feeling where you have to speed up to look at it, etc.

You have the best of both worlds though. Take the Lambo out if you want that feeling.

stock vs. stock, 99.9% of the Porsches are indistinguishable by most. Especially from a distance of over 20-30 feet.

Dont get me wrong I think the 997TT's are amazing drivers, but they dont exert that feeling where you have to speed up to look at it, etc.

I`m not a porsche guy but I`m trying to learn/get into the cars, TBH i`ve paid no attention to them over the years - its easier learning to write japanese than tell two apart.

I think a modded pcar will still not get much more appreciation - Mr Valet will still be unmoved.

I`m not a porsche guy but I`m trying to learn/get into the cars, TBH i`ve paid no attention to them over the years - its easier learning to write japanese than tell two apart.

I think a modded pcar will still not get much more appreciation - Mr Valet will still be unmoved.

Gotta love the Beverly Hills valet....like it's a doorman at a hot nightspot, lol.

Normally, it's a shitty job whose appeal of driving cars gets old fast. :icon_thumleft: