My Christmas Present

Roman

I've got a pretty advanced home design program. I'm on revision number 40. I've shown what we have to a builder and he said "I could build straight from these".

Awesome. Congratulations and good luck with it!

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What program are you using?

Home Designer Pro 9.0.

And Id really like to get another license for it so I can use it on my laptop.

Theyre about a dozen feet long and weigh over a ton.... And they run fast as hell and have big ass horns.... "Cuddly?"

Ofcourse :D I know.

They are still cuddly ^___^

Nice looking property. Can you design anything ultra modern with that program or is it more geared toward traditional homes?

I suppose you could design anything with it.... But I have no interest in an "Ultra modern" home.... SO I wouldnt really know.

I suppose you could design anything with it.... But I have no interest in an "Ultra modern" home.... SO I wouldnt really know.

Just a couple of ideas:

Since it may be a home away from home for a while, install a "smart system" for your heating and air conditioning system ( You can set the temp from your phone or computer, it's great to heat or cool as you're on your way there)

Think about propane instead of electric for heating and cooking. Cooking SUCKS with electric.

If it's going to be multi-story and you're going to be retired there ( meaning old), look into an elevator, they're really not that expensive. Don't forget the little nuances for the elderly, ie. door handles instead of knobs on doors. Wider doorways. Handles for the sinks as well. Shower seats. Limited steps from space to space, etc.

That is a really nice piece of land you have there. Congrats on the acquisition.

So here it is... “Roman’s Landing”. Its 26.5 acres, with a 3.5 acre man made lake with a dock, and diving board. The lake is stocked with Blue Gill And Bass...“there aint no catfish in that lake”. Im not sure what the hell that means, but it sure sounded important to my wifes cousin.

Let me try to explain why having no Catfish in your lake is a godo thing.

Catfish are really a really crappy fish, a button feeder. Its a really ugly fish and feeds on a lot of crap. A lot of people like to eat them and talk about how they are such a good fish to eat. Others like myself and your wife's cousins think they taste like crap and dont enjoy fishing for them. They have stingers that hurt when they get away from you.

800px-Channelcat.jpg

Don't forget heated floors for the house. Warm bathroom floors are :eusa_dance:

Seriously? Seems like a pain in the ass.... What if they break?

It's usually done with hot water lines. Same risk as any other plumbing issue (small)

I have heated floors in 90% of my house. The new tubing they use can expand to 2.5 it's original size. so freezing isn't an issue. The tubing is joined the same way PVC is, so there is no concern for separation.

That is very nice! One thing you may want to be cautious about. In my state, your property cannot be annexed by any city if you have more than 20 acres. As long as I am not annexed, I can burn, shoot, have unlimited farm animals, and have very low taxes. The city can move around me, but I will remain a county plat.

Well, the city was on my butt. I had a 20 acre piece and a couple 5 acre pieces. My real estate attorney said if I did not join them all, they could try to annex the 2-5 acre tracts.

All this would mean for me is waaaaaay more taxes and a loss of rights. So, I have all 30 acres joined now.

Funny thing...I applied to rezone one acre to be annexed and converted to commercial. The city said yes despite the 100% rejection my an adjoining neighborhood.

Anyway, in case that helps....

That is very nice! One thing you may want to be cautious about. In my state, your property cannot be annexed by any city if you have more than 20 acres. As long as I am not annexed, I can burn, shoot, have unlimited farm animals, and have very low taxes. The city can move around me, but I will remain a county plat.

Well, the city was on my butt. I had a 20 acre piece and a couple 5 acre pieces. My real estate attorney said if I did not join them all, they could try to annex the 2-5 acre tracts.

All this would mean for me is waaaaaay more taxes and a loss of rights. So, I have all 30 acres joined now.

Funny thing...I applied to rezone one acre to be annexed and converted to commercial. The city said yes despite the 100% rejection my an adjoining neighborhood.

Anyway, in case that helps....

That does help.... We plan to rejoin the two parcels at some point in the future (one to two years or so).

I have heated floors in 90% of my house. The new tubing they use can expand to 2.5 it's original size. so freezing isn't an issue. The tubing is joined the same way PVC is, so there is no concern for separation.

:iamwithstupid:

Never had a problem. It's also a nice addition to the garage if you do any work in there. Probably one of the best luxuries you can ad to a home. Get a good installer and you will be fine and VERY happy when it is cold outside.

Wow that is absolutely beautiful! :) Congrats buddy, you deserve it and Im sure that will make one heck of a dream get-away/retirement home for your family someday. I cant imagine how much fun it would be to have that much property to yourself. To be able to go four-wheeling, play paintball, fish, swim, hunt, build stuff, burn stuff, etc. all within the privacy of your own land. That is awesome. :icon_super:

How do you turn that on and off? Or do you?

How do you turn that on and off? Or do you?

In-floor radiant heating is a very efficient system. It is controlled by thermostat and is found in all higher-end homes at least in our colder climates.

In-floor radiant heating is a very efficient system. It is controlled by thermostat and is found in all higher-end homes at least in our colder climates.

Sounds like witchcraft to me! :icon_mrgreen:

There are a lot of terms Im learning that Ive never heard of before.... Our contractor likes "geothermal" heating, which I dont understand AT ALL....

I dont think it gets THAT cold in the Louisville area!!! They get snow every now and then, but nothing like Michigan or Chicago or buffalo.

Just a couple of ideas:

Since it may be a home away from home for a while, install a "smart system" for your heating and air conditioning system ( You can set the temp from your phone or computer, it's great to heat or cool as you're on your way there)

Think about propane instead of electric for heating and cooking. Cooking SUCKS with electric.

If it's going to be multi-story and you're going to be retired there ( meaning old), look into an elevator, they're really not that expensive. Don't forget the little nuances for the elderly, ie. door handles instead of knobs on doors. Wider doorways. Handles for the sinks as well. Shower seats. Limited steps from space to space, etc.

Don't forget the stripper pole. This is L-Power right? :eusa_dance: