US Gov too broke for expensive toys...

Mako

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You guys suck! In miami we got a 1 billion dollar two mile long extension of the existing metro rail which will take you from the miami international airport and drops you off right in the heart of one of the worst, if not the worst areas of miami. Then we have the billion dollar tunnel which will go less than a 1/4 of a mile from the McArthur causeway into the port of miami so that people don't have to see the trucks in down town miami that go back and forth to the port that's running at a 1/3 of its capacity. Then across town we have the 3.5 billion dollar baseball stadium being built for one of the most profitable teams in baseball on the taxpayers dime in an area which is serviced by nothing but small two lane roads. Let's not forget the two broke museums that are doing their best to score billions in taxpayer money to build two useless buildings on the last remaining county owned waterfront land in downtown miami which will deprive the citizens of the green space and parks that they're entitled to under the city charter. If that's not enough, we have the billionaire who owns the miami heat that hasn't paid the rent on the American Airlines arena since they moved in. This is all going on within an area of about 5 square miles.

You're a bunch of losers in CA! Did I mention the county manager whose job was made redundant about five years ago that makes $422,000 per year? How about the 15 City of Miami firefighters who make over $300,000 per year for working three days a week or the 100 or so firefighters that make over $200K per year?

Phase 1 only (from 96t St to 63rd St) they're now saying 2016. The rest of it (it's supposed to go all the way down to South Ferry, I believe) doesn't have an official completion estimate. :eusa_wall:

Wth 1000% cost overruns ( and 5 years delays!!!!) on the cities computer system I doubt there will be $$$ to complete it. :eusa_naughty:

I don't see anything wrong with a legitimate high speed train. If you can get a train to do a legit 200 mph, then the SF to LA trip is about 2 hours long.

When you factor in the quicker check in times, the train won't be much slower than a plane.

It's not all about speed either: trains are more comfortable than planes, and more enjoyable for each hour spent.

Charleston to NYC is about 2 hours direct. I once had to do the trip by Amtrak which took 13 hours. The 13 hours sucked, but if you could get it down to 4-6 hours it wouldn't be a big deal at all. The experience on a train didn't have me looking at my watch waiting anxiously to arrive.

At the end of the day just another alternative to get from A to B.

You guys suck! In miami we got a 1 billion dollar two mile long extension of the existing metro rail which will take you from the miami international airport and drops you off right in the heart of one of the worst, if not the worst areas of miami. Then we have the billion dollar tunnel which will go less than a 1/4 of a mile from the McArthur causeway into the port of miami so that people don't have to see the trucks in down town miami that go back and forth to the port that's running at a 1/3 of its capacity. Then across town we have the 3.5 billion dollar baseball stadium being built for one of the most profitable teams in baseball on the taxpayers dime in an area which is serviced by nothing but small two lane roads. Let's not forget the two broke museums that are doing their best to score billions in taxpayer money to build two useless buildings on the last remaining county owned waterfront land in downtown miami which will deprive the citizens of the green space and parks that they're entitled to under the city charter. If that's not enough, we have the billionaire who owns the miami heat that hasn't paid the rent on the American Airlines arena since they moved in. This is all going on within an area of about 5 square miles.

You're a bunch of losers in CA! Did I mention the county manager whose job was made redundant about five years ago that makes $422,000 per year? How about the 15 City of Miami firefighters who make over $300,000 per year for working three days a week or the 100 or so firefighters that make over $200K per year?

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

NY, FL, and CA are all just doomed. There's no coming back from the money problems all three have accumulated the past decade, regardless of whether the economy rebounds significantly or not. It's just over.

WHO'S UP FOR MOVING TO "BOOM" STATES LIKE WYOMING OR OKLAHOMA! :icon_mrgreen: :eusa_wall:

:icon_thumleft:

340x_clowns.jpg

On the topic of all this gov't spending, have they said anything about the Stimulus (Recovery and Reinvestment) money that was going toward construction projects, backed by the Buy America act? Last I read they had burned up about 50% of that cash, but no word on if they will keep spending or close that down. That segment was ~$110b of the $787b total.

I remember the days of the $99 flights to Vegas from LBC, SNA, BUR and LAX and to have a stranger touch your junk, that was extra.

I remember the days of the $99 flights to Vegas from LBC, SNA, BUR and LAX and to have a stranger touch your junk, that was extra.

I just booked one of those flights.... $130... ROUND TRIP. (it was $19 to vegas $99 to return)

I agree its a lot of money and CA should be able to pay for it..but I was looking at the freight aspect, moving heavy weight product fast from one location to another would have been nice...heck if i could ship my car to LA have it worked on and back in a day Id like that!

I agree its a lot of money and CA should be able to pay for it..but I was looking at the freight aspect, moving heavy weight product fast from one location to another would have been nice..

Union Pacific already does that....

On the topic of all this gov't spending, have they said anything about the Stimulus (Recovery and Reinvestment) money that was going toward construction projects, backed by the Buy America act? Last I read they had burned up about 50% of that cash, but no word on if they will keep spending or close that down. That segment was ~$110b of the $787b total.

That's the best part! All the projects I outlined are being done by foreign companies!!!

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

NY, FL, and CA are all just doomed. There's no coming back from the money problems all three have accumulated the past decade, regardless of whether the economy rebounds significantly or not. It's just over.

WHO'S UP FOR MOVING TO "BOOM" STATES LIKE WYOMING OR OKLAHOMA! :icon_mrgreen: :eusa_wall:

:icon_thumleft:

WOAH WOAH WOAH. How dare you not include Massachusetts in that list of failboat occupants! The state that gave the world the Kennedy family isn't deserving a spot on the titanic!? Then again as passengers of the Kennedy family Massachusetts residents have been left in the chappaquiddick.....

Oh, and the big dig! No one beats us when it comes to stupidly run projects. NO ONE!

The best part about living in this state is that no matter what you do, it's never your fault. It's like kindergarten for adults.

The Marlins Stadium in particular is the dumbest project I have ever seen. This past year, if you watched baseball, the majority of Marlins games had 500-2000 people in attendance. The majority of those people were in town to SEE THE OTHER TEAM PLAY.

The metrorail into downtown should at least add more tourism to the city over time which will pay itself back in tax dollars generated. It will however, put a large financial strain on the taxi drivers of the city as who will want to pay a $60 cab rise to the beach when they have half the distance covered for $5.

Oh and you forgot to mention that the spending cuts that are affecting the thousands of teachers, police officers, and firefighters that will have to cut tons of jobs next year. Yet, they have the money to build crap everywhere and spend BILLIONS.

They should make the heat play in Liberty City until he pays his RENT!

Oh and Abolfaz, wait until you see the high speed train they have planned to run from Miami to Orlando coming down the pipeline in a few decades. You think the small tunnel, or metrorail project are expensive. :lol2:

The fedZ need to cut way back, with out of control spending.

It is amazing, how we vote these losers back into office.

Unfortunately, I assume 0, will be re-elected during the 2012 election.

Oh and Abolfaz, wait until you see the high speed train they have planned to run from Miami to Orlando coming down the pipeline in a few decades. You think the small tunnel, or metrorail project are expensive. :lol2:

That's fine as I will directly profit from that project since I own three two properties that are going to be taken through eminent domain for that project!

CA could hopefully be fixed if they could get rid of those public employee unions. One thing that might work is in allowing the states to declare bankruptcy, but this needs some thinking through (some say it might make them more profligate). But if it could be made to get the unions under more control, the states could hopefully fix themselves.

Why California is Broke and Montana is Not

The Governor of California is jogging with his dog along a nature trail. A coyote jumps out and attacks the Governor’s dog, then bites the Governor.

1. The Governor starts to intervene, but reflects upon the movie Bambi and then realizes he should stop because the coyote is only doing what is natural.

2. He calls Animal Control. Animal Control captures the coyote and bills the state $200 for testing it for diseases, and $500 for relocating it.

3. He calls a veterinarian. The vet collects the dead dog and bills the state $200 for testing it for diseases.

4. The Governor goes to the hospital and spends $3,500 getting checked for diseases from the coyote and on getting his bite wound bandaged.

5. The running trail gets shut down for six months while Fish & Game conducts a $100,000 survey to make sure the area is now free of dangerous animals.

6. The Governor spends $50,000 in state funds implementing a “coyote awareness program” for residents of the area.

7. The state legislature spends $2 million to study how to better treat rabies and how to permanently eradicate the disease throughout the world.

8. The Governor’s security agent is fired for not stopping the attack. The state spends $150,000 to hire and train a new agent with additional special training re: the nature of coyotes.

9. PETA protests the coyote’s relocation and files a $5 million suit against the state.

Meanwhile, in Montana…

The Governor of Montana is jogging with his dog along a nature trail. A Coyote jumps out and attacks his dog.

1. The Governor shoots the coyote with his state-issued pistol and keeps jogging. The Governor has spent $0.50 on a .45 ACP hollowpoint cartridge.

2. The buzzards eat the dead coyote.

Why California is Broke and Montana is Not

The Governor of California is jogging with his dog along a nature trail. A coyote jumps out and attacks the Governor’s dog, then bites the Governor.

1. The Governor starts to intervene, but reflects upon the movie Bambi and then realizes he should stop because the coyote is only doing what is natural.

2. He calls Animal Control. Animal Control captures the coyote and bills the state $200 for testing it for diseases, and $500 for relocating it.

3. He calls a veterinarian. The vet collects the dead dog and bills the state $200 for testing it for diseases.

4. The Governor goes to the hospital and spends $3,500 getting checked for diseases from the coyote and on getting his bite wound bandaged.

5. The running trail gets shut down for six months while Fish & Game conducts a $100,000 survey to make sure the area is now free of dangerous animals.

6. The Governor spends $50,000 in state funds implementing a “coyote awareness program” for residents of the area.

7. The state legislature spends $2 million to study how to better treat rabies and how to permanently eradicate the disease throughout the world.

8. The Governor’s security agent is fired for not stopping the attack. The state spends $150,000 to hire and train a new agent with additional special training re: the nature of coyotes.

9. PETA protests the coyote’s relocation and files a $5 million suit against the state.

10. The coyote joins the LAPD as a police dog, works 2 1/2 years, retires to Montana, and collects $630,000 per year, tax free, as his California state pension for the rest of his life.

Meanwhile, in Montana…

The Governor of Montana is jogging with his dog along a nature trail. A Coyote jumps out and attacks his dog.

1. The Governor shoots the coyote with his state-issued pistol and keeps jogging. The Governor has spent $0.50 on a .45 ACP hollowpoint cartridge.

2. The buzzards eat the dead coyote.

fify

• 1 month later...

http://www.newsweek.com/2011/02/27/high-sp...insolvency.html

High Speed to Insolvency

Why liberals love trains.

Generations hence, when the river of time has worn this presidency’s importance to a small, smooth pebble in the stream of history, people will still marvel that its defining trait was a mania for high-speed rail projects. This disorder illuminates the progressive mind.

Remarkably widespread derision has greeted the Obama administration’s damn-the-arithmetic-full-speed-ahead proposal to spend $53 billion more (after the $8 billion in stimulus money and $2.4 billion in enticements to 23 states) in the next six years pursuant to the president’s loopy goal of giving “80 percent of Americans access to high-speed rail.” “Access” and “high-speed” to be defined later.

Criticism of this optional and irrational spending—meaning: borrowing —during a deficit crisis has been withering. Only an administration blinkered by ideology would persist.

Florida’s new Republican governor, Rick Scott, has joined Ohio’s (John Kasich) and Wisconsin’s (Scott Walker) in rejecting federal incentives—more than $2 billion in Florida’s case—to begin a high-speed rail project. Florida’s 84-mile line, which would have run parallel to Interstate 4, would have connected Tampa and Orlando. One preposterous projection was that it would attract 3 million passengers a year—almost as many as ride Amtrak’s Acela in the densely populated Boston–New York–Washington corridor.

The three governors want to spare their states from paying the much larger sums likely to be required for construction-cost overruns and operating subsidies when ridership projections prove to be delusional. Kasich and Walker, who were elected promising to stop the nonsense, asked Washington for permission to use the high-speed-rail money for more pressing transportation needs than a train running along Interstate 71 between Cleveland and Cincinnati, or a train parallel to Interstate 94 between Milwaukee and Madison. Washington, disdaining the decisions of Ohio and Wisconsin voters, replied that it will find states that will waste the money.

California will. Although prostrate from its own profligacy, it will sink tens of billions of its own taxpayers’ money in the 616-mile San Francisco–to–San Diego line. Supposedly 39 million people will eagerly pay much more than an airfare in order to travel slower. Between 2008 and 2009, the projected cost increased from $33 billion to $42.6 billion.

Randal O’Toole of the Cato Institute notes that high-speed rail connects big-city downtowns, where only 7 percent of Americans work and 1 percent live. “The average intercity auto trip today uses less energy per passenger mile than the average Amtrak train.” And high speed will not displace enough cars to measurably reduce congestion. The Washington Post says China’s fast trains are priced beyond ordinary workers’ budgets, and that France, like Japan, has only one profitable line.

So why is America’s “win the future” administration so fixated on railroads, a technology that was the future two centuries ago? Because progressivism’s aim is the modification of (other people’s) behavior.

Forever seeking Archimedean levers for prying the world in directions they prefer, progressives say they embrace high-speed rail for many reasons—to improve the climate, increase competitiveness, enhance national security, reduce congestion, and rationalize land use. The length of the list of reasons, and the flimsiness of each, points to this conclusion: the real reason for progressives’ passion for trains is their goal of diminishing Americans’ individualism in order to make them more amenable to collectivism.

To progressives, the best thing about railroads is that people riding them are not in automobiles, which are subversive of the deference on which progressivism depends. Automobiles go hither and yon, wherever and whenever the driver desires, without timetables. Automobiles encourage people to think they—unsupervised, untutored, and unscripted—are masters of their fates. The automobile encourages people in delusions of adequacy, which make them resistant to government by experts who know what choices people should make.

Time was, the progressive cry was “Workers of the world unite!” or “Power to the people!” Now it is less resonant: “All aboard!”

The Gov Rick Scott here is catching all kinds of hell around here for turning down that money. The Tampa mayor went off on him in the press and so many other bitching about it that apparently he is considering changing his mind if they can prove it won't cost tax payers any money.

I don't get it. It's only a 1.5 hour drive from Tampa to Orlando. It's not a bad drive at all, we are heading up to Animal Kingdom lodge Wednesday with the kids. I can't see driving to train station, paying to park, paying for 4 tickets, waiting on whatever schedule they have. When I can just drive up on my own schedule, and have transportation while I am wherever I'm at. I envision a 3/4 empty train running continuously.

Yeah the one in Ohio here was a total fcuking joke. Its faster to drive your car to each of the cities and have a car with you the whole time then to pay to ride this train, get there later, and then have to worry about transportation around the cities once you are there. Just a total fcuking waste. People who dont see that are out of their fcuking mind. People are always going to choose convenience over "saving the environment" assuming the trains would even do that.