There really are no cars to buy!

Allan-Herbie

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can do a Zonda. Anyone who has one in the US just has dealer plates on it.

Go on the McLaren website and configure an MP4/12. It's a damn good looking car.

There are a lot of really good cars out there and most have taken huge value hits.

The problem is, that cars in general are becoming very fast. It doesn't take anything to make a GTR ballistic. The new Camero Z28 will have 556hp and will be cheap as hell to modify into big hp numbers. Let alone taking a 75K Gallardo and putting a turbo kit on it.

So at a certain point in time, how fast do you want to go?

To me speed is essential but more so is the way the car really feels and drives. There is an "it" factor to certain cars where the manufacturer just got it right. Those to me are the car to own.

For me, it's between LP640. Scuderia, 560.

If I'm spending above 220K its 458, not even a contest.

There are a lot of really good cars out there and most have taken huge value hits.

The problem is, that cars in general are becoming very fast. It doesn't take anything to make a GTR ballistic. The new Camero Z28 will have 556hp and will be cheap as hell to modify into big hp numbers. Let alone taking a 75K Gallardo and putting a turbo kit on it.

So at a certain point in time, how fast do you want to go?

To me speed is essential but more so is the way the car really feels and drives. There is an "it" factor to certain cars where the manufacturer just got it right. Those to me are the car to own.

For me, it's between LP640. Scuderia, 560.

If I'm spending above 220K its 458, not even a contest.

Excellent post until he dropped the 458 bombshell :icon_mrgreen: aside that :iamwithstupid: x 1,000,000

All the TT that TT this 10,000 Hp this milliseconds etc it's quite pointless, it's an addiction that it is incurable IMO

Guest Rob Burgundy

The only thing that's a bigger piece of junk then the S7 is the aero ssc

You can do a Zonda. Anyone who has one in the US just has dealer plates on it.

If only. You can do it, but it's in no way legal and if you're stopped you face having the car deported or destroyed. Good luck with running that risk with a Zonda.

If only. You can do it, but it's in no way legal and if you're stopped you face having the car deported or destroyed. Good luck with running that risk with a Zonda.

Its not exactly the kind of car that "flies under the radar" either.

Yes.. before I got my slr..there was a black zonda available... I asked about tags and insurance and was told it gets titled and insured as a diablo? Didn't sound kosher to me and I knew if anything happened id get fucked..

The saleen is a huge pos...never

The rules on cars in the USA are so weird. You are allowed to drive a rusted POS car of 40 years old, which has no airbag or decent brakes and what else it's missing and you can not drive a perfectly designed zonda which is 1000 times safer.

Same thing for replicas or cars with switched engines.

The penalty for illegally importing a car:

Penalties: Any person who knowingly makes any false or fraudulent statement, or omits or conceals a material fact can be fined up to $250,000 or imprisoned for up to 5 years, or both (18 USC 1001). Any person who improperly imports a motor vehicle (including a motorcycle) or engine may be fined up to $32,500 per vehicle or engine (42 USC 7524), and may be subject to forfeiture of the entire importation bond, if applicable (40 CFR 85.1513), and the U.S. Customs Service may seize the vehicle or engine (19 CFR 162.21).

That's just the EPA. I believe the DOT has a section about how they'll either deport the car or even destroy it.

Believe me. I've looked into this every which way from Sunday. The only legal way to have a Zonda in the US is by being a non-resident and importing it temporarily (up to 1 yr) as a tourist or by having a manufacturing company that you can convince the EPA/DOT are doing development work for cars and they'll give you a manufacturer's plate.

Actually, there's one other way. Pay AMG to develop a ODBII adapter for the Zonda engine on a "blank check" spec ($1M+), petition the DOT for a Show'n'Display permit, and stick cats etc on the Zonda engine for certification. God bless the person who does that -- that'll open the door for anyone else who wants to follow in those foot steps.

Anyway, off topic ;). Besides, Allan was looking for something costing $300-500k. Not $1M+.

Btw webster, how was it driving around with US licence plate in Europe, did you happen to have any problems with the law enforcement or customs?

How long were you allowed to stay?

No problems driving in Europe on US plates. Got pulled over twice in Germany, but they just check your papers and send you on your way. Cops are generally MUCH more friendly than their American counterparts. You can keep the car on US plates for up to 1 year, I believe. (anyway, enough thread jacking ;)).

I think the DTM is a good pick, I've read 2 stories of owners who also own a Ferrari Enzo and they called this car amazingly good.

The penalty for illegally importing a car:

That's just the EPA. I believe the DOT has a section about how they'll either deport the car or even destroy it.

Believe me. I've looked into this every which way from Sunday. The only legal way to have a Zonda in the US is by being a non-resident and importing it temporarily (up to 1 yr) as a tourist or by having a manufacturing company that you can convince the EPA/DOT are doing development work for cars and they'll give you a manufacturer's plate.

Actually, there's one other way. Pay AMG to develop a ODBII adapter for the Zonda engine on a "blank check" spec ($1M+), petition the DOT for a Show'n'Display permit, and stick cats etc on the Zonda engine for certification. God bless the person who does that -- that'll open the door for anyone else who wants to follow in those foot steps.

Anyway, off topic ;). Besides, Allan was looking for something costing $300-500k. Not $1M+.

How about personally importing the vehicle ?

Scenario:

US Citizen living abroad for a period X returns to the US with his/her possessions.

Allan: A LP640 Muricelago Roadster is a fabulous looking car with a strong V12. They are priced rite now and with no Roadsters to be built in the next 2 years you should see the car hold most of its purchase price. This car really gets attention.

Get another SLR, like the white one you posted awhile back. Why did you get rid of your first one? It has all the qualities you are looking for... Auto, comfy, fast as fuk, rare, exotic and you loved the car.

Allan: A LP640 Muricelago Roadster is a fabulous looking car with a strong V12. They are priced rite now and with no Roadsters to be built in the next 2 years you should see the car hold most of its purchase price. This car really gets attention.

:eusa_wall: