• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am going strong for my 2nd day!!!

I will believe it when I see it.

And that means for more than 2 months.

I should drag you ass down to the gym with me and I'd have you shaped up in two fcuking weeks.

Eating fruit and drinking fruit juice are not the same what so ever. High Fiber fruits have a lower GI (Glycemic index) because fiber slows the absorption of glucose which causes the spike. Eliminating the fiber is going to change the way your body reacts to the sugars and how quickly they are absorbed.

Also, with the cakes and such it's not only the sugar, but the starch and simple carbs which your body will crave.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for fruit and fruit juices, but just be aware of how you may react to them.

Thanks for the info, however one question, isn't the sugar itself a simple carb...? Also regarding carbohydrates, my simplistic understanding of it is that complex carbohydrates (from whole grains, brown rice, potatoes, etc...) are the best source of energy for your body. Your body can use protein for energy too, but an athlete will want the protein to be used for muscle-building and repair, so they consume a certain amount of complex carbohydrates for energy. Also, since complex carbohydrates break down slowly, they don't spike your blood sugar level, and thus insulin levels. Whereas if you eat a donut with lots of sugar in the form of simple carbs, those break down very quickly, and will provde instant energy, but also spike your blood sugar levels.

Also vyce77 and emanon, great posts, now I know who to ask when I have nutrition and bodybuilding questions in the future :icon_thumleft:

Thanks for the info, however one question, isn't the sugar itself a simple carb...? Also regarding carbohydrates, my simplistic understanding of it is that complex carbohydrates (from whole grains, brown rice, potatoes, etc...) are the best source of energy for your body. Your body can use protein for energy too, but an athlete will want the protein to be used for muscle-building and repair, so they consume a certain amount of complex carbohydrates for energy. Also, since complex carbohydrates break down slowly, they don't spike your blood sugar level, and thus insulin levels. Whereas if you eat a donut with lots of sugar in the form of simple carbs, those break down very quickly, and will provde instant energy, but also spike your blood sugar levels.

Wheels, rather that write out a long explanation. The Wiki Article does a pretty good job of summing it up.

Also vyce77 and emanon, great posts, now I know who to ask when I have nutrition and bodybuilding questions in the future :icon_thumleft:

VBOX and emanon are better comprehensive sources than I, IMO.

The best time to do any of that is yesterday.

The easiest way to think of a proper diet is this:

Find your BMR

Use total calories and separate into protein/carb/fat % (40% pro, 40% carbs, and 20% fat is a good starting point)

divide your total calories so you are eating 6 times a day

protein with every meal

supplement with protein shakes to hit your daily number from your calculations

eat only low glycemic carbs with every meal, but don't eat any carbs with your last meal of the day (only protein and veggies for example)

eat only lambda lambda lambda and the omega mu-3 fats (found in fish and oil-based supplements - flax oil, fish oil, etc) - some fat from lean meats is acceptable

No sweets, no soda, no cheese, no milk, and no alcohol.

Do this and you will not only drop bodyfat, but your insulin levels will never spike and you will be infinitely healthier.

A simple thing to remember when shopping....I got this from a Paleo website:

"If you keep your cart to the outer edges of the supermarket and avoid the aisles, you're in good shape."

:icon_thumleft:

The easiest way to think of a proper diet is this:

Find your BMR

Use total calories and separate into protein/carb/fat % (40% pro, 40% carbs, and 20% fat is a good starting point)

divide your total calories so you are eating 6 times a day

protein with every meal

supplement with protein shakes to hit your daily number from your calculations

eat only low glycemic carbs with every meal, but don't eat any carbs with your last meal of the day (only protein and veggies for example)

eat only lambda lambda lambda and the omega mu-3 fats (found in fish and oil-based supplements - flax oil, fish oil, etc) - some fat from lean meats is acceptable

No sweets, no soda, no cheese, no milk, and no alcohol.

Do this and you will not only drop bodyfat, but your insulin levels will never spike and you will be infinitely healthier.

These are very good guidelines. I would also suggest that your carbs come from legumes rather than other sources. :icon_thumleft:

These are very good guidelines. I would also suggest that your carbs come from legumes rather than other sources. :icon_thumleft:

Agreed, you want to be cut eat beans instead of everything else. It worked for me time and time again

now I am on a completely different kick - working out on empty stomach, not eating an hour after the workout to fully release growth hormone, diet is proteins, nuts, and fruits veggies... I was concerned about fructose still need more time to see if this is working better than the slow carb diet, but supposedly the intangible benefits for the body are better.. hope thats the case

now I am on a completely different kick - working out on empty stomach, not eating an hour after the workout to fully release growth hormone, diet is proteins, nuts, and fruits veggies... I was concerned about fructose still need more time to see if this is working better than the slow carb diet, but supposedly the intangible benefits for the body are better.. hope thats the case

What does "working out" include?

If it's heavy lifting, I'm going to really suggest you abandon this plan. At the very least eliminate the part about not eating an hour AFTER the workout. That is the optimum time to feed your body as it will better absorb nutrients and aid recovery. This is the time when you want to consume a good portion of protein and amino acids.

Pre-workout food is somewhat science but a bit of personal preference as well. Some people just can't handle food before a hard workout, but I'm not one of them. I like to get some carbs and (GASP!) milk in about 2 hours pre-workout. I personally feel better in the gym and ultimately the end result is a better workout.

Those of you who are having a hard time eating often, make hard boiled egg whites you best friend! Between breakfast and lunch, snack on a couple carrots and 3 eggs worth of eggwhites. Boil them 2doz at a time and keep a pile in your fridge at work. I even saw some new gadget that lets you hard boil just eggwhites so you're not throwing all the yolks away (buy a carton of eggwhites etc).

Note: There are great benefits in egg yolks, but I personally try to keep them down because they are very high in calories. I usually do 3 whole and 3 whites for breakfast, and sometimes again at dinner. If you're looking to bulk up there have been some studies that show whole eggs to be about the perfect protein and the yolks are loaded with fats and cholesterol which increase testosterone production.

Also - Don't buy into the cholesterol b/s, your body doesn't make cholesterol from eating it, the same way you don't turn into salmon from eating one. Blood cholesterol and dietary cholesterol are not dependent on one another.

What does "working out" include?

If it's heavy lifting, I'm going to really suggest you abandon this plan. At the very least eliminate the part about not eating an hour AFTER the workout. That is the optimum time to feed your body as it will better absorb nutrients and aid recovery. This is the time when you want to consume a good portion of protein and amino acids.

Pre-workout food is somewhat science but a bit of personal preference as well. Some people just can't handle food before a hard workout, but I'm not one of them. I like to get some carbs and (GASP!) milk in about 2 hours pre-workout. I personally feel better in the gym and ultimately the end result is a better workout.

Those of you who are having a hard time eating often, make hard boiled egg whites you best friend! Between breakfast and lunch, snack on a couple carrots and 3 eggs worth of eggwhites. Boil them 2doz at a time and keep a pile in your fridge at work. I even saw some new gadget that lets you hard boil just eggwhites so you're not throwing all the yolks away (buy a carton of eggwhites etc).

Note: There are great benefits in egg yolks, but I personally try to keep them down because they are very high in calories. I usually do 3 whole and 3 whites for breakfast, and sometimes again at dinner. If you're looking to bulk up there have been some studies that show whole eggs to be about the perfect protein and the yolks are loaded with fats and cholesterol which increase testosterone production.

Also - Don't buy into the cholesterol b/s, your body doesn't make cholesterol from eating it, the same way you don't turn into salmon from eating one. Blood cholesterol and dietary cholesterol are not dependent on one another.

Heavy ass lifting, non stop, few sets, may be 2-3 at most, no more than 30-40 mins in the gym. 2-3 days in the gym per week, average 2 for me, other day or two are swimming running just generally using the body like its meant to

deadlifts, today i did hang cleans..etc

it is very taxing on the immune system and thats why it forces the body to grow... I have come to the conclusion that bodybuilding and this way build different types of bodies..

i could be wrong of course but to me it looks liek bodybuilding fills the muscle and blows it up, and you look puffy, your general appearance is also not athletic but more bulky.. ive been going for this for years.

the other look and what i am doing now will make you lean and make the muscle look different too - its hard to explain and i am trying to find pictures, i see it time to time in people, but most pics are bodybuilders when i search - its usually smaller chest, but you can tell the guy is strong, his body looks more athletic than bulky.

we'll see.. it could all turn out to be a waste of time, but its something different and i am the type of person who will try new things to further discover new things

Couple recipes if anyone gets adventurous. Decided to make some of my own stuff to satisfy my taste this afternoon.

Lightly spicy veggies

- 2 radishes

- 3 celery stalks

- 1 apple

- 1 inch of ginger (or more if you like ginger like me)

- 3 carrots

- 1/4 habanero

- 1 handful of parsley

Tastes good, is just a wee bit spicy, you'd think the habanero would be super spicy (and they are) but 1/4 of one only juices a small amount. So it's just about right.

Pretty spicy veggies

- 1/2 beet

- 1/4 to 1/2 habanero (depending on how spicy you want it, I prefer 1/2 but I LOVE habaneros)

- 1/4 green bellpepper (or 1/2 if you like them)

- 2 radishes

- 1 inch ginger

- 3 celery

- 3 carrots

- 1/2 lemon (with skin)

Spicy, tastes good, real zesty and lots of spice! If you don't like spicy things it may be a bit much for ya. First time you take a big swig you'll go "Hmmm not too.... OH damn there's the spice." once the habanero hits, haha.

Heavy ass lifting, non stop, few sets, may be 2-3 at most, no more than 30-40 mins in the gym. 2-3 days in the gym per week, average 2 for me, other day or two are swimming running just generally using the body like its meant to

deadlifts, today i did hang cleans..etc

it is very taxing on the immune system and thats why it forces the body to grow... I have come to the conclusion that bodybuilding and this way build different types of bodies..

i could be wrong of course but to me it looks liek bodybuilding fills the muscle and blows it up, and you look puffy, your general appearance is also not athletic but more bulky.. ive been going for this for years.

the other look and what i am doing now will make you lean and make the muscle look different too - its hard to explain and i am trying to find pictures, i see it time to time in people, but most pics are bodybuilders when i search - its usually smaller chest, but you can tell the guy is strong, his body looks more athletic than bulky.

we'll see.. it could all turn out to be a waste of time, but its something different and i am the type of person who will try new things to further discover new things

You can have an athletic physique that is also very defined. Ross Enamait has a very defined, but strictly athletic, physique, which I admire a lot: LINK And this guy has what I see as an ideal bodybuilder physique.

The first guy shows what I am talking about - see the difference between that and the second guy? The pump looks different imo

You can have an athletic physique that is also very defined. Ross Enamait has a very defined, but strictly athletic, physique, which I admire a lot: LINK And this guy has what I see as an ideal bodybuilder physique.

The first guy shows what I am talking about - see the difference between that and the second guy? The pump looks different imo

Agree that the first guy physique is more ideal, and more appealing to the masses. The hardcore "bodybuilder" physique is only really appealing to those in that world. I don't want to use a real human being as a medical diagram to see all the different muscles in the human body, nor should a man's arms be as big as someone's thighs. :lol2:

At the same time though, I feel that there's a certain minimum size a man should have for chest, shoulders, and biceps. Doesn't have to be huge, but I can stand the look of a "washboard chest". :icon_mrgreen:

The guy in the middle looks great....no need to get bigger or more ripped than that, IMHO.

Exactly the look Im going for!

209 and 6ft isn't that bad though...

I'm 5'9 and used to be 310...now I'm 230, and am aiming for about 160lbs by the end of it... (waist was about 47 and is now a 40)

There are definitely people on here with more expertise than I ..but I'd recommend sticking to a multi-vitamin and then whatever else you're deficient in and need...supplements in the traditional sense could end up hurting you if you stack them wrong.

209 and 6ft isn't that bad though...

I'm 5'9 and used to be 310...now I'm 230, and am aiming for about 160lbs by the end of it...

Keep up the good work! That's no easy feat. :icon_thumleft: