Aventador...... The Truth

Allan-Herbie

Very nice picture.. Lately I am definitely far more interested in the older cars then the newer ones..

Thanks...Taken about five minutes from my house....They've pulled the barns down now to make houses....thought I should get a couple of pics in before they went....

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I drove one today as did my Daughter. I like the looks very

much especially in mat black.

I like the way it drives and was very impressed with the

grip and the shifts which are brutal. Traction control didn't

come on and the visibility and dash are great and very usable

Very stable under hard braking and turn in very good.

GPS screen very visible. Exhaust note a touch quiet for me.

The chassis is great and very ridged.

I drove one today as did my Daughter. I like the looks very

much especially in mat black.

I like the way it drives and was very impressed with the

grip and the shifts which are brutal. Traction control didn't

come on and the visibility and dash are great and very usable

Very stable under hard braking and turn in very good.

GPS screen very visible. Exhaust note a touch quiet for me.

The chassis is great and very ridged.

So are you buying one?

So are you buying one?

Allan, did you see the Aventador in person? It is brilliant. I had my order ready to go, until they decided I couldn't get Ad Personam this year. All I wanted was alcantera and carbon fiber interior, ala 670SV. When they allow me to do it, Matte Black with the ad personam features will be coming my way. The only thing I didn't love about the Aventador was the two-tone color interior. It looked like a dated element in an otherwise futuristic spaceship.

Allan, did you see the Aventador in person? It is brilliant. I had my order ready to go, until they decided I couldn't get Ad Personam this year. All I wanted was alcantera and carbon fiber interior, ala 670SV. When they allow me to do it, Matte Black with the ad personam features will be coming my way. The only thing I didn't love about the Aventador was the two-tone color interior. It looked like a dated element in an otherwise futuristic spaceship.

Yes I did, I just havent driven it yet..

My dream is for there to be a 21st century "F40", made by any manufacturer. Stickshift, no power steering (if realistic), no traction control, no ABS, no power brakes, etc. This wouldn't be a bread & butter car, but one of the $500k-$1MM limited edition cars that people write checks for regardless of what it is.

Since Ferrari is on their "performance is everything" kick, I think Lamborghini should step up and fill the spot. They managed to sell a million dollar stock Murcielago....this would be no problem. :icon_thumleft:

I agree, that would be amazing. But everything seems to be going the opposite way, unfortunately.. More nannys, flappy paddle only, safety etcetc.

I think if a car like that is ever going to be built it's going to be by a smaller company, like Shelby, RUF or something like that.

Or maybe Mclaren is your best bet. The F1 had stick shift, no power steering, no abs. I'm not sure but I don't think it had any stability control either. Mclaren seem to be thinking a bit out of the box, when Mercedes isn't involved at least.. so maybe we can hope that their next hypercar will be a 21st century version of the F1. Although I very much doubt it...

My dream is for there to be a 21st century "F40", made by any manufacturer. Stickshift, no power steering (if realistic), no traction control, no ABS, no power brakes, etc. This wouldn't be a bread & butter car, but one of the $500k-$1MM limited edition cars that people write checks for regardless of what it is.

The car you want is brand new and called Noble M600.

In EVO Magazine they had it in test with F40 and said it was really a new version of F40.

I got a couple minutes in the car and my initial impressions were changed. I was able to adjust the seat for a better fit and while impressed, I can say the opinions that the car "lacks soul" are not far off. Yes, it's fast, yest it's nice, yes its Audi. I like the new shift interface on the dash. I wish the start button cover was aluminum, the plastic felt cheap.

Technologically impressive and fast, it lacks the character of say the Countach or Diablo.

Time will tell, and I hope the SV version, or roadster will help bring it more to life.

Jim, how does it compare to the enzo, 458 an mp4-12C? in said categories?

They are all quite different.

Basically I perfer cars with a little more "feel" "sportiness" less electronic intervention although I understand why they build it in to keep people safe.

Soul???? Important, hard to define but you know it when you feel it....

I got a couple minutes in the car and my initial impressions were changed. I was able to adjust the seat for a better fit and while impressed, I can say the opinions that the car "lacks soul" are not far off. Yes, it's fast, yest it's nice, yes its Audi. I like the new shift interface on the dash. I wish the start button cover was aluminum, the plastic felt cheap.

Technologically impressive and fast, it lacks the character of say the Countach or Diablo.

Time will tell, and I hope the SV version, or roadster will help bring it more to life.

Good Post.

Best

I think all of the latest supercar offerings from McLaren, Ferrari, Lamborghini, are far beyond their owners abilities. The sad thing is, the soul that people feel is 'lacking' is usually improvements and closer to a more complete/perfected car. I agree with the majority. I like rawness. I like a manic sports car that feels like it is trying to kill me.

The modern supercar perfection is like autotune in popular music. All the singers are perfectly in pitch with this program, so if someone doesn't use the computer to fix themselves, the record labels or producers are afraid that they will sound like they are inferior, so they use it anyway. Even when it is not really needed. Lamborghini has created an amazing V12 bull that has none of the problems all the prior V12's were plagued with. The problem for Lambo is those very problems became a staple and part of the charm of the brand. It would be like autotuning Bob Dylan's vocals. More perfect, but would probably lose the quirkiness and all-over-the-place sound that many have grown to love about his vocal delivery.

I think the Aventador is a different kind of car. Capable of much more. The price it comes in at is pretty impressive given its materials and performance figures.

So there we have it... fcuk THE INVENTAHOR!

I wouldn't say that.

I like the car, I really do. And the more time I spend with it, the more I like it.

Obviously, that doesn't mean it's perfect, far from it. But Lamborghini is going in a new direction with this car, and I like where they are headed. They won't nail it out of the gate. I mean look at the Murcielago, it took almost ten years for that car to be realized in SV form, which, by most was quite impressive.

I think the Aventador is definitely not the best it could be right now, and that's fine. This is the first run.

There are some things they could improve upon sooner rather than later. Namely the interior. After being in the MP4-12C and seeing the difference I have to say I liked the McLaren better on interior treatment. It had a more exotic, specialized feel. You felt like you were are a supercar.

The Aventador made me feel like I was in a sporty A7 (a very nice interior) but I didn't feel like I was in a supercar. I think if they were to work on the interior to match all the other work on the car, people's opinions would dramatically increase.

I'll keep posting as things come to me, but if the short of the long of it is, give me a MP4-12C interior in the LP-700 in SV trim and I think we'd have a champion.

Question for those who say the Aventador has no soul or lack of it... did you feel the same way when the Diablo and Murci were released?

This isn't a jab at anyone it's an honest question coming from someone who's never been in any of the above cars... the closest thing that has Soul that I can afford is a Kia...

This is a great question. I'm really interested to know what the general feeling was in the Lamborghini world was when the Murcie first arrived? Coming from the Diablo was it seen as a welcome step forward into exciting and unchartered territory or were people underwhelmed by it?

I'd love to hear anyones recollections on this.

Question for those who say the Aventador has no soul or lack of it... did you feel the same way when the Diablo and Murci were released?

I remember having a picture on my office wall of the Canto that was coming and couldnt wait for it.. When they debuted the Murcielago I was dissapointed. Ive never been really excited about the Murcielago since I had one. I remember having it and the SV and choosing to drive the SV instead.. So I guess Lambo has been a dissapointment in the V12 for me since the Diablo. Atleast the Aventador continues the tradition.

I remember having a picture on my office wall of the Canto that was coming and couldnt wait for it.. When they debuted the Murcielago I was dissapointed. Ive never been really excited about the Murcielago since I had one. I remember having it and the SV and choosing to drive the SV instead.. So I guess Lambo has been a dissapointment in the V12 for me since the Diablo. Atleast the Aventador continues the tradition.

I suppose you have always had a lot of love for the "baby model" whilst Lambo have not gone out of their way to make it always more technologically advanced to its older brother.

Even the current Gallardo has a better fuel injection system.

I've driven the Aventador about 40 miles. It's unlike anything else out there. It's radically different from the SV. We could go on and on about the details of those differences and in the end, and to bottom line it, it probably won't get me out of my SV. I think the Aventador is an amazing car all on its own. It has fastest shifts of any car I've driven and shifts so fast it almost hurts. It's like getting rear ended in a parking lot; just enough of a thud to feel like you just got an adjustment at the chiropractor. I think it's a very good car and overall Lamborghini did a terrific job but I don't see a lot of SV buyers making the jump because there is a lack of rawness necessary to get your adrenaline going. I guess the Aventador is like switching to decaf in a way. It's not likely you will go for a drive, park it and still have the adrenaline shakes. It's much easier to drive than the SV so we won't see as many piled up on trees in the first few months. It's much-much quieter inside with far less driver feedback so you have to driving a lot more aggressively to match heart rates between the two cars. Sort of like driving the Veyron which is probably its closest comparison in terms of overall driving experience. In the Veyron I'm still yawing at 120 MPH thinking about texting my order for a pizza.

I think for Murc and LP640 owners, they will find it to be the biggest leap in performance. SV owners will probably smile when comparing the two; like seeing a different beautiful woman than the one you're with, but not beautiful enough to race home and draft up divorce papers.

Lately we've had a lot of Shelby Cobras show up to our car events. Most of the owners are seasoned drivers with tons of experience. They gravitate towards that raw, dangerous take-no-prisoners experience and the SV/LP640 will more likely entertain that group than the Aventador. Meanwhile the Aventador will be the weapon of choice for those first time exotic owners who are terrified of anything above 80. They could be going 180 and not know it. It will kick the shit out of just about everything else out there at the moment including the 458 which is probably it's closest rival. That and the LFA, which feels incredibly good to drive, even if it does feel sluggish by comparison.

Overall, it's like comparing pears and berries. I don't think you could go wrong with either the SV or the Aventador. Is the Aventador a Murcielago killer? Not really. Given the price point of a used LP640, I don't see it as enough of a difference in performance to justify dumping the LP, unless you just want a new faster car for that commute to the office. In the end, when you're out on a run with your buddies, the performance differences aren't going to amount to much in real world group drives. However, it will kick the living shit out of everyone else on that drive if things suddenly get carried away. If you're racing around the twisties, the Aventador will hang on better than anything else (again fewer marriages between Aventadors and trees) and it's not easy to upset- similar to the 458 and LFA in that regard. Fit and finish is good, but not yet perfect. I did see some body seams that are not yet there, but close. I'm tossing that one to new production. Bitch if your Aventador isn't perfect.

Bottom line, it's just a different car entirely, deserving of respect, well executed in every way. I just got back from Monterey so I'm burnt out on cars. Lexus gave me a LS600hL to drive for a few days and that was damn interesting. I get it now- some "Hybrids" have almost nothing to do with environmental considerations and everything to do with the state of technology. BTW, the LFA is way cooler than I first thought. Go drive one.