Hybrid cars

capt_chaos

I don't have any problem with them. I've driven a few prius's and my twin sister owns one. I've actually almost bought one myself. I think ill be more interested in a completely electric car down the road once they have better ranges.

My wife has a Lexus GX450h and it is a great car with good mileage. Still have to buy gas. Obviously the Tesla is all electric and has a range of over 200 miles which is really cool. I like both but can't wait for the Tesla Sedan in late 2012, it will have around 350 miles range.

My wife has a Lexus GX450h and it is a great car with good mileage. Still have to buy gas. Obviously the Tesla is all electric and has a range of over 200 miles which is really cool. I like both but can't wait for the Tesla Sedan in late 2012, it will have around 350 miles range.

tsla will be awesome as long as it lives up i'm just as excited.

Most of them are a rip off. The amount of premium you spend vs the traditional model of that car usually makes it impossible to make up the difference through gas savings. If that changes or your car doesn't fall into that category i have no problem minus the smug that comes with it.

See the post about the hydrogen electric Toyota SUV on here a few days ago. Until hydrogen/electric is introduced, gas hybrids are just a band-aid on the issue.

The 350 mile Tesla sedan is more of a believe it when I see it kind of think. I think if you hypermile drive it like an old lady you might get 350 miles, but honestly I doubt given current technology it's real. Plus for the 350 miles you have to buy the 30k more premium model. The standard car is advertised to 200 miles or something. I test drove a tesla roadster. Now granted I got it to it's top speed of 120mph and did a couple of 0-60 runs I ran down the battery from 24 miles power to zero in 8 miles.

I drove the Lexus RX400h and at 15mph it was pretty cool driving a silent car but above that it had NO power. I had to get out of it.

Nissan Leaf anyone :)

I have a friend who has one. He has to plan ahead to drive it because it's real world range is about 74 miles. In LA that's a trip to costco.

Nissan Leaf anyone :)

Cool idea. Neat packaging. I like the solar panel on the trunklid for accessories while battery isn't being rundown. But it takes too long to charge, batteries are still in developing stage (too expensive and not a long service life), and it STILL requires power from an outlet. WHERE is this power coming from? "Clean" coal? What kind of energy does your plug-in use? If the answer is something you wouldn't want in your own backyard or living room - it's not clean nor is it sustainable long-term.

I'm not turned away from the idea of alternate fuel and/or energy. I have considered an electric motorcycle a few times now. Would be a lot of fun for commuting in the summer and be a nice cost saver longterm. And just think... I wouldn't have to sync carbs several times a season!

Fisker is opening a dealership near my office. I think their cars look really nice.

I love the Karma but don't buy it for the back seat.

What do you mean good or bad thing?

I think Hybrid cars are good for saving a couple pennies on gas every month.

I also think Hybrid cars are terrible for the environment save the only redeeming fact that they use slightly less gas than average.

That's why I got a TDI Jetta and get 60mpg. I don't feel like a douche that loves the smell of my own farts and I only fill up the tank about once a month.

One theory is that gas prices will drop as the general public starts to support electric and alternative fuels. Ironically the future of big HP sports cars may rely on the masses adopting electric vehicles.

As previously mentioned, I think gas hybrids are a waste of time. Even the all electric Tesla is questionable....the last time I checked, they are making electricity from fossil fuels. Hydrogen fuel cells is the future....just need to bring the cost down and the infrastructure up.

I wouldn't mind to have the new honda crz mugen, as clarkson said, it's nearly 200bhp, light weight, handles just like the old crz and impossible to do below 35mpg. with care you will get 50+mpg.

BUT, It mostly likely going to cost $80,000 US (rumors) or more once it's in production.

Think what can you buy with the money.

short term good

long term possibly bad.

battery technology has to be more developed

I agree, Do we still see any first gen prius(98 ish I believe) hanging around ?? No. all their batteries are fxxked.

my vote is for BAD

here is a neutral article on Phantom:

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/driving-the-wo...eXBhZ2U-;_ylv=3

That's an EV, not a hybrid.

I agree, Do we still see any first gen prius(98 ish I believe) hanging around ?? No. all their batteries are fxxked.

I think it's more because they only sold about five of them. Prius batteries are recyclable.

It's true that hybrids are entirely dependant on battery tech, though. Ten/twenty years ago they just weren't feasible, batteries weren't efficient enough. We're on the cusp of another jump forward, once lithium ion tech becomes sufficiently robust. But the mk3 Prius, using the same battery tech as the mk2, has a negligible efficiency increase, leaving it stranded behind the latest crop of turbodiesels.

My view is that hybrids are great as used buys. The initial increased cost generally outweighs fuel savings, but once depreciation hits, they make a lot more sense. You can pick up a high-spec, good mileage mk2 Prius for around £9k, and there's not much else at that price that can touch it for economy (certainly nothing which also matches it for space, power and equipment). And that's before you factor in that petrol is cheaper than diesel...

They're also useful for high-end saloons, for which the weight isn't so much of an issue, and the quietness of a hybrid is particularly desirable. They could potentially equalise the weight to a degree by stripping out some soundproofing.

its a catch 22. The batteries are made of rare metals that are non-renewable and the damage caused by mining them is pretty significant. The resources will deplete the more we rely on them and we'll be in the same place as we are now. We're just shifting to a new energy that still has drawbacks that hurt the planet.

Just go clean diesel. You still get the power and the convenience.