12 die at Batman Movie :(

SV-N-IT

I can't wait for the impending mental illness defense of this POS. Regardless from which mental illness he does (or will allegedly) suffer, there can be no doubt he methodically, planned and implemented a heinous premeditated crime.

From my (limited) understanding of it (Roman could probably explain more), the whole idea of "going for the insanity defense" is more a Hollywood thing (ironically like in "Batman Begins" when Carmine Falcone decides to go for the insanity defense). But in reality, the insanity defense is only tried in a very small number of cases, and in those, it is only accepted in a very tiny number (it isn't even allowed in some states). The legal definition of insanity is different from the clinical definition of insanity. To legally be considered insane, it has to be proven that you quite literally did not know what you were doing as you were doing it. And in order to prove that, I think they have to be able to show how your brain was damaged to the point that you had no clue what you were doing. So for example the guy who axe murders someone and then it is shown that he has a disease that physically has eaten away the parts of his brain that let him distinguish between right and wrong.

In the event the insanity defense is accepted, you are put into a mental institution where you are not released until a psychological professional determines that you are safe to be released back into society, which may be never. Technically, anyone who commits such crimes could be said to have some sort of mental illness, so obviously a mental illnesss defense is only for very limited instances. What I am waiting for is folks to start using this to grind their axe about gun control (Michael Bloomberg sure didn't waste any time in that department).

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most likely that they have a loved one who has suffered with mental illness.

They were on the right track, I have yet to meet a sane person with orange hair and a collection of riot gear.

Yeah I didn't know we had all the members of team six present on the board. I would have used the first dude I saw in a batman costume as a human shield and got the fcuk out, i got work in the morning.

Seriously.

Tragic event. The dude was sickly well prepared. I doubt a standard CCW person could have done much from the sounds of it. Maybe distracted the guy, assuming the CCW holder wasn't incapacitated by the gas (haven't heard if it was CS/tear gas or what).

fcuking Illinois...wish I could fcuking carry.

Read somewhere he came in through Emergency Exit. Never tried, but aren't these doors locked from the outside? Terrible tragedy, why these people attack in such a random fassion blows my mind.

Read somewhere he came in through Emergency Exit. Never tried, but aren't these doors locked from the outside? Terrible tragedy, why these people attack in such a random fassion blows my mind.

"Federal law enforcement sources tell ABC News that Holmes bought a ticket to the movie, slipped out of the theater once it began and propped open the emergency exit before gathering his weapons and gear and coming back into the theater. Once inside, he opened fire."

http://gma.yahoo.com...topstories.html

post-2783-1342831713.jpg

Sorry.... I couldnt resist...

(But I did think the same thing.)

Yes, auto correct felt like changing to google from goggles :)

From my (limited) understanding of it (Roman could probably explain more), the whole idea of "going for the insanity defense" is more a Hollywood thing (ironically like in "Batman Begins" when Carmine Falcone decides to go for the insanity defense). But in reality, the insanity defense is only tried in a very small number of cases, and in those, it is only accepted in a very tiny number (it isn't even allowed in some states). The legal definition of insanity is different from the clinical definition of insanity. To legally be considered insane, it has to be proven that you quite literally did not know what you were doing as you were doing it. And in order to prove that, I think they have to be able to show how your brain was damaged to the point that you had no clue what you were doing. So for example the guy who axe murders someone and then it is shown that he has a disease that physically has eaten away the parts of his brain that let him distinguish between right and wrong.

In the event the insanity defense is accepted, you are put into a mental institution where you are not released until a psychological professional determines that you are safe to be released back into society, which may be never. Technically, anyone who commits such crimes could be said to have some sort of mental illness, so obviously a mental illnesss defense is only for very limited instances. What I am waiting for is folks to start using this to grind their axe about gun control (Michael Bloomberg sure didn't waste any time in that department).

Two standards for insanity:

The McNaughten Rule- The defendant suffers from a mental disease or defect that made it impossible for him to tell the difference between right and wrong or cannot understand the nature of his actions. In laymans terms- HES BATSHIT CRAZY (Jerrod Loughtner, the Tucson shooter is so fcuking nuts he cant speak coherent sentences. And he isnt even sane enough to stand trial... CLASSIC insanity defense, and rightly so.)

The MPC rule- The Defendant suffers from a mental disease or defect that causes him to not to appreciate the criminality of his behavior, or be able to conform his behavior to the law.

I dont know which rule CO follows.

I think this guy is fcuking CRAZY.... But I think the fact that he is modelling his behavior after the VILLAIN in a movie, which I think he appreciates is the VILLAIN, means the insanity defense WONT apply to him. He knows his actions are wrong. The level of PLANNING also shows hes not that out of his mind...

Theyre going to Death Penalty this fucker.

I was thinking about that the other day. How could they could kill McVeigh so quick? Howcome he isn't on death row for 20 years?

Didn't he fight his death sentence?

Great,twenty years from now we'll get to hear about the execution after he's enjoyed to decades of tax payer funded death row vacation.

The need a death penalty express lane for cases like this. The trial should take about 45 minutes, show the fingerprints all over the guns, pics of him in his combat gear etc. Judge slams the gavel, take him out back and put two 5.56 rounds in his chest and tell the parents to clean up the mess.

I'm serious when I say the parents should be on trial right next to this fcuk. The first time mom and day get manslaughter charges because the monster they raised kills a bunch of people, parents will start taking these things seriously and get their kids some help.

Great,twenty years from now we'll get to hear about the execution after he's enjoyed to decades of tax payer funded death row vacation.

I had a conversation with my parents and grandma about this last night. The judicial system is completely fucked up. We were watching a show about high speed car chases and a man was sentenced for 30 years for robbing and running from the cops, 30 YEARS!!!! We are paying our hard earned money for this guy to serve 30 years for what??? Yet if you rape or kill someone you could get less time than that, how does that make any sense?

If your issued the death penalty, you should be gone with in the year.

I was thinking about that the other day. How could they could kill McVeigh so quick? Howcome he isn't on death row for 20 years?

The need a death penalty express lane for cases like this. The trial should take about 45 minutes, show the fingerprints all over the guns, pics of him in his combat gear etc. Judge slams the gavel, take him out back and put two 5.56 rounds in his chest and tell the parents to clean up the mess.

I'm serious when I say the parents should be on trial right next to this fcuk. The first time mom and day get manslaughter charges because the monster they raised kills a bunch of people, parents will start taking these things seriously and get their kids some help.

I had a conversation with my parents and grandma about this last night. The judicial system is completely fucked up. We were watching a show about high speed car chases and a man was sentenced for 30 years for robbing and running from the cops, 30 YEARS!!!! We are paying our hard earned money for this guy to serve 30 years for what??? Yet if you rape or kill someone you could get less time than that, how does that make any sense?

If your issued the death penalty, you should be gone with in the year.

Adam Carolla had a pretty good rant about this. Take a listen

McVeigh got charged FEDERALLY.... And they dont fcuk around.

Now, it looks like they may have moved TOO fast on him, as I think there was more to that case, and it sounds like Mcveigh wanted to spill it before they gave him the double mocha pavulon latte norcuron vente special....

McVeigh got charged FEDERALLY.... And they dont fcuk around.

Now, it looks like they may have moved TOO fast on him, as I think there was more to that case, and it sounds like Mcveigh wanted to spill it before they gave him the double mocha pavulon latte norcuron vente special....

There is much more to the McVeigh case than meets the eye. Much, much more.

Like what, link?

I can't find a specific link, but there's been all kinds of conspiracy crap going around. He was part of some terrorist cell etc etc.

I think he was just a wacko

Crazy.

awful awful awful...i work long distance with some people in Colorado and i hope they are ok.

Strangely my first thought was for a loon who obviously was a batman fan it seemed strange to me that he didn't wait until the end of the movie. didn't he want to see how it ended before he either died or was incarcerated for life?

I never understand the need for these nut jobs to take others down with them...is it just to leave their mark on history?

(it really is too bad he wasn't gunned down...the thought of millions, literally millions of tax dollars being wasted on this scum who shouldn't be breathing our air annoys the hell out of me)

If I was the police I'd be looking at how this guy got in the back door of a theater. All the modern metroplexes I've been to have steelclad doors and steel doorframe and shut automatically. Maybe the lone gunman had some help.

If I was the police I'd be looking at how this guy got in the back door of a theater. All the modern metroplexes I've been to have steelclad doors and steel doorframe and shut automatically. Maybe the lone gunman had some help.

They already explained that a half dozen times....

He bought a ticket.... Walked in... Sat down... Pretended to "get a call on his cell phone"... Walked out the back door to "take the call".... Propped the door open... his car was parked right there.... He geared up, and went back in shooting

They already explained that a half dozen times....

He bought a ticket.... Walked in... Sat down... Pretended to "get a call on his cell phone"... Walked out the back door to "take the call".... Propped the door open... his car was parked right there.... He geared up, and went back in shooting

Hey Roman,

did you read anywhere why the alarm to the exit doors did not go off when he walked out the back door ? Or was it not the exit doors ?

Hey Roman,

did you read anywhere why the alarm to the exit doors did not go off when he walked out the back door ? Or was it not the exit doors ?

I have used the these exit doors before and the alarm has never gone off.

Someone that needs to be shot?

Assman, luv you like a brother, but...HuH???

BTW: a CC holder wouldn't need to penetrate the vest. Shooting at the perps feet would have worked just fine.

I was thinking the same thing when I read that post. I felt that was inappropriate.

Yes, completely inappropriate, but I have strong feelings about how stupid you have to be to bring small children to a movie theater, for an adult movie, on crowded opening night, at midnight. Come on. fcuking wait 2 weeks and go Tuesday afternoon.

Blackbull....I'm no weapons expert, but in the scenario hitting feet would have been a 1:100000 shot. Centermass, stoppIng power are what you look for. You don't try to hit a small thing like a foot or head. Unless you have a sniper scope in a favorable position you ain't hitting shit. You go for the chest, take out the wind, get the knockdown.

Yes, completely inappropriate, but I have strong feelings about how stupid you have to be to bring small children to a movie theater, for an adult movie, on crowded opening night, at midnight. Come on. fcuking wait 2 weeks and go Tuesday afternoon.

Blackbull....I'm no weapons expert, but in the scenario hitting feet would have been a 1:100000 shot. Centermass, stoppIng power are what you look for. You don't try to hit a small thing like a foot or head. Unless you have a sniper scope in a favorable position you ain't hitting shit. You go for the chest, take out the wind, get the knockdown.

Doesn't matter if he's wearing a vest, even a 9mm will hurt enough to slow him down if he's hit in the chest. So I agree, shoot at the fat part, fcuk the legs.

They should deal with him the way we handled it in Nam!!!!!!!

Hey Roman,

Those things never go off. If they did employees couldnt use them for cigarette breaks.