I Bought A Boat...

GARY JAVO

I have always wanted a decent size boat that we could take out for the occasional weekend getaway. This popped up out of the blue. The previous owner stored it in one of his warehouses on a trailer. It was used in freshwater only, and currently has 80 hours on the clock. When I went to look at it in person, I was amazed that this 2006 model looked brand new. I quickly started to check all of the systems and fluids. Everything looked great and the guy had all of the service records. The bottom had never been painted and looked as shiny as the hood on my GTS. Both engines fired right up as did the Kohler genset. In the past three weeks I have learned the inner workings of each of her systems. At first I was a little intimidated, but I wound up crawling down into the engine room and figuring things out one step at a time. She runs right at 48mph on GPS, and we are having a blast! Jessica was not on board at first, but after two weekends out on the river, I have made a believer out of her!

Are any of you guys into this? I can see where this could get addictive, and I already have plans for her big sister at some point...

post-2992-1345091454_thumb.jpg

I brought it home and the marina couldn't take it for a few days, so I freaked out my HOA by parking it in the driveway. Haha! The house looks like a little shack with this thing parked next to it.

post-2992-1345091850_thumb.jpg

Congrats, you made it through 50% of the two happiest days in a boat owners life.

All joking aside it looks like a good time. Once you get past the part about throwing shovels of $100 bills at them, boats are a fcuking good time.

Congrats, you made it through 50% of the two happiest days in a boat owners life.

All joking aside it looks like a good time. Once you get past the part about throwing shovels of $100 bills at them, boats are a fcuking good time.

Why would he need to throw $100 bills? its a newer boat....... Fuel will probably be the only expense for years to come.

Anyways enjoy in good health!

Thanks guys.

You can definitely sink a bunch of money into one. Not that I'm trying to be a cheap ass, but I have really taken the time to learn this thing inside and out. So far I have changed the oil, oil filter, spark plugs, fuel water separators, and water pump impellers in both of the engines and in the generator. I've flushed / refilled / topped off / cleaned the trim tab system, engine trim system, water heater, and air conditioner system. I've replaced a couple of cracked drain hoses (one was for the shower sump pump), and bleached / scrubbed / lubed every component in the engine room. I actually enjoy piddling around with all of this. I completely serviced all three engines for around $200 in parts, where the dealer quoted me $1100 including labor.

The only thing that I do not feel comfortable with just yet is servicing the out drives. There is a marine mechanic that comes around our marina that I have built a little bit of a relationship with. I think he is impressed that I am working on my own boat. I told him that I would just hire him to service the out drives. He said that I could be his apprentice on the job and I would have no problem doing them next season. Honestly, it's nice to save a few bucks, but the real reason I want to do a lot of it myself is because I know it will be done right.

Boat looks amazing! That sure is a party barge and I hope you have plenty of time to enjoy it with friends and family.

Congrats! I'm on the other end of the spectrum this week as I finally sold one of my boats. I can't tell you how happy I to see the damn thing go!!

Congrats! I'm on the other end of the spectrum this week as I finally sold one of my boats. I can't tell you how happy I to see the damn thing go!!

Reminds me of the old saying; "the best day in a boatowners life is the day he sells it" :eusa_dance:

:lol2: lmfao Rob beat me to the punch. First thing I thought of was that video when I read the title. Gorgeous boat! Congrats :)

Ownership aggravation is one of the things I put a lot of thought into before I bought. That's why I made sure that I stayed at the limit of what I could trailer. I figure that if I get to a point where I'm not using it for some period of time and I don't want to have it just sit there and burn money every month, I can always just put it on the trailer and store it in the warehouse for free. I also made sure that it had components on it that I felt comfortable working on myself. Lastly, it doesn't hurt that I got a smoking deal on the thing, so at any time, I feel like I can get out of it for at least even money.

We are planning a trip to make the jump from WPB to Grand Bahama Island with a group. Spending a couple of weeks down there sound like a fantastic trip!

Which one?

I hope you have plenty of time to enjoy it with friends and family.

Or better yet, stop being a selfish prick and invite us out on your boat!

Just kidding, congrats Gary. Looks awesome.

The best boat to have is your friend's boat. Talk about a money pit lol.

Anyway, it looks very nice. Enjoy in good health.

Is the other day the day you sell it? :icon_mrgreen:

OP: Congrats! Boat looks great!