Hurricane Sandy is a pissed off bitch

Jpegs13

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made it in to Baltimore around 11pm last night. Was a little bumpy but not terribly bad. Still not a drop of rain here about an hour south of DC, just a breeze.

I have an automatic transfer switch. It senses no power and turns the genny on.

A good buddy of mine installs them for a living. I did some work with them last year when I was looking for work. When we build our house we will have one installed for sure. They hard plumb them into the natural gas line so you are good to go as long as you have gas. You can also switch them over the propane and several people have had propane tanks installed so if it really gets bad they can get by without electricity or gas.

Worth getting one for sure!

This shit is starting to get real.......

We're built for it down here, a storm the size of Sandy wouldn't be a very big deal here in Florida. Inconvenient, but not much more than that. I can't begin to imagine what this type of storm would do up in the NE with stick built homes, non impact windows, etc. YIKES! And that's just the regular hurricane stuff, I can't comprehend how the interaction with the other weather system is going to turn out.

Friends out on Long Island are telling me the tides are already going over the sea walls. All this and it's not even close yet.

Friends out on Long Island are telling me the tides are already going over the sea walls. All this and it's not even close yet.

I'm on Long Island....Got back about an hour ago from Shore Road in Mill Neck, which is on the bay side, has wind blown waves crashing up over the sea wall. About 15'. The Long Island Sound looks like the Atlantic right now

We're built for it down here, a storm the size of Sandy wouldn't be a very big deal here in Florida. Inconvenient, but not much more than that. I can't begin to imagine what this type of storm would do up in the NE with stick built homes, non impact windows, etc. YIKES! And that's just the regular hurricane stuff, I can't comprehend how the interaction with the other weather system is going to turn out.

It is rare for us to get much more than bad rain and a little wind on the coast here in md. My beach house doesn't have much protection from a serious storm so we are sweating this out at home. Ocean city is pretty much evacuated at this point, I am sure it will be a few days for us to find out what happened there. Kids school here is closed for the next two days and it barely started raining. The kids are freaked out waiting for it to hit. Going to be a long few days!

well logan international is closed and many airlines have canceled service in the area through wed.

My sister was in New Jersey right where the storm will hit, but unfortunately trying to get her to take a storm seriously is like talking to a brick wall. After repeated jackhammering, my mom finally convinced her to at least buy water, however when she went to the store, she said they were out (YEAH NO SHIT, that's why you buy it early!). Additional jackhammering was required and now she is going to stay with two friends (newly-marrieds) in New York. She thinks it will be no big deal, that they are blowing things out of proportion. I'd hope so, but better safe than sorry.

Best of luck to the East coast people.

Huge storm incoming...

Massive cold fronts...

Lots of heavy and hard wind...

That unnerving sense of impending doom...

Just gives you guys an insight into what it was like being with my ex.

Already experiencing power outages in the suburbs. This is going to be a long day.

DAY(S). Expected to last until Wednesday evening

I drove into work this morning and it was raining pretty steady. Walk into an empty office and check my email only to see that they had "closed" the office for the day. Been a long time since I remember them closing the office for weather.

I drove into work this morning and it was raining pretty steady. Walk into an empty office and check my email only to see that they had "closed" the office for the day. Been a long time since I remember them closing the office for weather.

They closed the SUBWAY SYSTEM here in N.Y. No buses, trains, so it pretty much closes the city. There is talk of shutting down the bridges.

Oh what fun!