got me a deaf dog

suzukidave

So I went four wheeling a week or so ago in my fj40 and came across one of my buddies out for a a hike in the foothills. He told me about a dog that was injured on top of a mesa. He and I chatted a tad and decided to have beers after my four wheelin'. I cruise by his house and we decided to go and shoot the dog and bury it. So we hike to the top of this mesa with a pistol, a shovel, and a blanket in case the dog was save-able. We get up there and she has backed herself to a 50 foot cliff and cannot stand up. She had a one inch wide, 8 inch long gash on the side of her face, through her ear and out the back of her neck. The meat looked gnarly and grey. It was freezing out. She growled at us and I decided to pick her up and hike her out. So I approached carefully, threw a blanket over her, wrapped her up and hiked her out. Unwrapped her in the garage, gave her some water and food and decided that if she lived through the night I would take her to the vet in the morning. She spent two days in the vets getting a couple surgerys ($$$) and he said it was a gunshot wound. Her rear leg was infected with a puncture wound, hence the no walking. Anyway its been a week and I now own a friggin dog. She is cool and we initially thought she was deaf. She couldnt hear anything, but yesterday she started hearing things, so heres hoping!

karma.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I went four wheeling a week or so ago in my fj40 and came across one of my buddies out for a a hike in the foothills. He told me about a dog that was injured on top of a mesa. He and I chatted a tad and decided to have beers after my four wheelin'. I cruise by his house and we decided to go and shoot the dog and bury it. So we hike to the top of this mesa with a pistol, a shovel, and a blanket in case the dog was save-able. We get up there and she has backed herself to a 50 foot cliff and cannot stand up. She had a one inch wide, 8 inch long gash on the side of her face, through her ear and out the back of her neck. The meat looked gnarly and grey. It was freezing out. She growled at us and I decided to pick her up and hike her out. So I approached carefully, threw a blanket over her, wrapped her up and hiked her out. Unwrapped her in the garage, gave her some water and food and decided that if she lived through the night I would take her to the vet in the morning. She spent two days in the vets getting a couple surgerys ($$$) and he said it was a gunshot wound. Her rear leg was infected with a puncture wound, hence the no walking. Anyway its been a week and I now own a friggin dog. She is cool and we initially thought she was deaf. She couldnt hear anything, but yesterday she started hearing things, so heres hoping!

You are awesome

Great story. Hope she has a quick recovery. Can't imagine someone doing that shit to a dog and leaving it out in the cold to die. Hope karma catches up with the bastard. Now watch a little Ceasar Milan to get some tips on how to work with a rescue dog and way to go for giving her a new lease on life! :icon_super:

You're a good guy. It's a great story. You've just made a huge "deposit" in the "karma" bank.

So what did you name her?

Very good of you Dave! I hope for a quick recovery. It is a pain in the ass sometimes but I love my italian greyhound. I look forward to getting home from work to see him. Hope whoever did that reaps the karma.

Great story...Good on you, Dave!

I hope it all works out, and the puppy appreciates everything you have done.

I love this story. Every time she looks you straight in the eye, you will feel something inside that will be difficult to explain to others. You did well.

fwiw, she looks almost exactly like a gun-shy bird dog i had 30 years ago named sadie. sadie was abandoned by her owner when she got scared of the gun and we took her in. your girl is a bit lighter though.

love the story. i hope everything turns out right.