Viper got hurt today

StoleIt

Well I was involved in the tail end of a 3 car. Lead panic stopped, next was a Lincoln that was snoozing and braked late and slapped into them at probably 40 mph, with the delayed time for braking I locked up (no ABS) and slide into the Lincoln at probably 25 mph or so.

My right ankle hurts a bit but I am deploying on Monday so nothing gonna stop me on that.

Pics:

IMG_20130511_114504_227.jpg

IMG_20130511_112957_125.jpg

IMG_20130511_140257_564.jpg

Honestly, I hope it's totaled just so I don't have to deal with trying to eventually sell a car like this with damage. Odometer just rolled over 18k while on this drive too.

Anyone more in the know with insurance have any thoughts? Hood is jacked up, front bumper and everything on it is ruined, car was leaking oil, radiator also looked beat up, not sure about frame damage but who knows.

I would think they would total it. A new hood is $10k+ I think.

From the 05 Daimlerchrysler crash estimating data issue;

HOODS

All 99-02= $18,450

HEADLAMP

92-95 R&L= $649

96-02 R&L= $632

ugh.. bummer. sorry to hear man. Timing sucks too. At least you are ok. Early gen Vipers, love them but no ABS is hard.

ugh.. bummer. sorry to hear man. Timing sucks too. At least you are ok. Early gen Vipers, love them but no ABS is hard.

Yea not sure ABS would have even helped, I have after market pads and rotors (drilled & slotted) and when I was doing AUTO-X the car braked like a champ. There was just nowhere for me to go or enough room. :(

More I hear the more it seems like it will be totaled. So do I buy it back and part it out? This is my first big accident so not sure how that all works.

Sorry to hear man. :( Was a beautiful car (LOVE the license plate by the way, lol).

They will probably total it. Like Sprite said, the hood on those cars is over $10,000. That being said though, the earlier Vipers (Gen 1 and Gen 2) had frames that were almost sectional, in that they are often cut and replaced with new sections after a crash (this was direct from a Viper Tech friend of mine, as my own 96' Viper had been in an accident prior to me owning it. He said it is very common). So, I would be surprised if that car gets taken off the road for good, it will most likely be fixed as good as new, even if the title is branded.

If they allow you to (I know some insurance companies wont), your best bet would be to buy it back from the insurance company and part it out, as I am sure you could make some good money off of it (or, if you are attached to the car, fix it up yourself and get it back on the road). Once the insurance company totals it, ask them what the buy back would be on it and go from there. Best of luck!

Good luck on your deployment as well! Thank you for your service! :icon_super: Stay safe.

depends if the hood is salvageable or not. Doesnt look too bad from the pics you posted. My guess is they try to fix unless there is frame damage or additional stuff I cant see.

If your insurance starts being troublesome, use Bernie K. as a reference for the insurance to talk to. Or wood house dodge.

depends if the hood is salvageable or not. Doesnt look too bad from the pics you posted. My guess is they try to fix unless there is frame damage or additional stuff I cant see.

Yea I'm not sure what they can do with a fiberglass hood. It has a very visible crack through it width wise on the top and the bottom all the latch/anchoring portion is ripped out. Then the tips are bent where they pushed into the doors. I know nothing about fiberglass repair but imagine that wouldn't be doable (let's hope).

Guesstimating:

New front nose

Fog light / fog light housing

Side marker

Replacement front bumper

Hod latch mechanism

Replacement Oil cooler and lines

New Radiator

New overflow bottle

Front frame alignment / front clip

Hood

Suspension alignment

Possible fractures to A arms

Steering rack

Anti roll bar

New fasteners / various

Paint

Labor

If your insurance starts being troublesome, use Bernie K. as a reference for the insurance to talk to. Or wood house dodge.

Thanks! My insurance is USAA so I figure they should be pretty easy. I'm deploying Monday so this is going to be all handled via email. Great timing right?

Glad you're ok but sucks about the car. I'm sure they will total it, its almost a given on any gts front impact.

I couldnt see the crack from the picture. If cracked then yes, you will likely have a total loss...

I would definitely get rid of it totaled or not. You will show a wreck on carfax or a salvage title, who knows what else will go wrong as a result of this down the road. Most likely parting it out will give you the most bang for the buck. Did you have any mods on it?

If you decide to fix it I have quite a few parts from my Blue and White.

I would definitely get rid of it totaled or not. You will show a wreck on carfax or a salvage title, who knows what else will go wrong as a result of this down the road. Most likely parting it out will give you the most bang for the buck. Did you have any mods on it?

If you decide to fix it I have quite a few parts from my Blue and White.

It was modified, nothing crazy though.

New air intakes/filters, exhaust, CCW rims, brakes and pads.

Sucks bro!

i've put over 33,000 miles on mine since i bought it...i want to retire her so something like this never happens to her...it would break my heart! (but i'm gunna keep driving the hell out of her lol)

It wasn't your fault, so file a loss in value claim due if they decide to repair. That will guarantee it is toast. Most important thing is you walked or limped away.

Just got word it's totaled.

Now do I buy it back or not?

And I am going to try and see if they will at the least throw in some extra $ for the mods.

Just got word it's totaled.

Now do I buy it back or not?

And I am going to try and see if they will at the least throw in some extra $ for the mods.

How much to buy it back? Usually you can make a good buck buying it back. But then you have to take the time to part it out and ship everything out. that is a lot of work for $5-$6K in profits that will take you months to collect.