Saw the Pagani Huayara

But the point is, the car isn't made to compete with the likes of those. The Pagani is in a league of its own. We only associate it with those because we want too, not because it needs too.

Any car that sells in that price range is competing with each other for orders. Through all of the styling, the engineering, the calibration, one thing is constant. The need for performance. Everything else is purely subjective. The Huayra is like the lame duck. It's not better looking, it's not better engineered, and it's competely outgunned.

They're all faster than fast enough and in the end it boils down to which one moves you. Anyone that's spending 7 figures on a car like this probably already has a Veyron or some other nuclear weapon for speed.

Any cars that offer a 2-seat mid-engine layout in a similar price range are competing with each other. So, the question is: What does each bring to the table?

I am not going to list each car and where I see its appeal, but they all have their own place and they all seem to do a good job at finding their customers. Boutique car manufacturers like Pagani and Koenigsegg don't need to sell many cars to be profittable. Pagani has made a huge move in trying to enter the US market. We will see if they can get the Huayra to pass the DOT and if they overcome that obstacle, we will see how well they can do at meeting the demand. I hear that there are many outstanding Huayra orders and customers are growing impatient.

Putting around it is definitely more sanitized than the older Lambos, but when you crack it wide open, it will definitely thrill. The ISR vs dual clutch has something to do with it, IMO.

I love the ISR. As many of you know, I have been pounding that drum since I got my Aventador.

The Aventador has grown on Allan. That's happened to me with many cars and I am sure it will again. Sometimes you don't get them at first and it takes some time to connect with you. Good for him for acknowledging that it has.

How so? I'd expect the Veyron to be a direct competitor. Aka someone would choose between a Veyron or the Huayra. Most would go for the Veyron because of the straightline performance figures.

The Veyron is close to releasing the final edition. The Huayra is a relatively new model.

I would not buy a Veyron for 700k. I would pay double that for a Zonda RS if I could legally get it in the USA. They are all fast, I don't care about the straight line or lap time differences. Unfortunately, the Huayra doesn't do much for me. It falls in the Veyron camp to me more then the Zonda camp. Maybe future revisions will make it more appealing to me.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious if you would be arguing this POV if the P1 wasn't on that list :eusa_think:

The answer is yes. I'd take a 918 over a Huayra without a hesitation. I'd take a 760RS over all of these (probably).

The Veyron is close to releasing the final edition. The Huayra is a relatively new model.

I would not buy a Veyron for 700k. I would pay double that for a Zonda RS if I could legally get it in the USA. They are all fast, I don't care about the straight line or lap time differences. Unfortunately, the Huayra doesn't do much for me. It falls in the Veyron camp to me more then the Zonda camp. Maybe future revisions will make it more appealing to me.

If anyone offers you a Veyron for 700k, and you turn it down, please let me know! :icon_mrgreen:

If anyone offers you a Veyron for 700k, and you turn it down, please let me know! :icon_mrgreen:

There was one for around that in Atlanta that I got a call on last year. It needed a service that I hear was 6-figures. It seems like the deal with the Veyron used market is people flip them when the next service is due. If you look and stay on it, you can get one for 6-700k depending on the service required. Cars that are up-to-date will list higher.

Ther Veyron will drop more soon. Its ugly and boring.

I saw the same in Beverly Hills,it has amazing CF parts and amazing interiors but the Zonda is more beautiful. The Huayarairaeira's front bumbers looks made by a little child, it's not as aggressive as a Zonda.

The answer is yes. I'd take a 918 over a Huayra without a hesitation. I'd take a 760RS over all of these (probably).

Well with the 918 being almost as heavy as an Aventador, don't expect it to keep up with an Huayra :P

Well with the 918 being almost as heavy as an Aventador, don't expect it to keep up with an Huayra :P

I heard they are working on the 918 to make it more competitive. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets cancelled. IMO it is definitely the least interesting of all the cars discussed in this thread.

With damn near 900 hp and 4 wheel steer+ AWD and a crazy amount of torque, it will demolish a Huayra.

The Huayra is completely traction limited and the driver has to wait to use the power. A 918 you'll stomp the pedal mid corner and away she goes. I also believe the 918, P1, and ThethetheFerrari have far superior electronics/calibration than the Huayra but we shall see.

The Huayra understeers like crazy

With damn near 900 hp and 4 wheel steer+ AWD and a crazy amount of torque, it will demolish a Huayra.

The Huayra is completely traction limited and the driver has to wait to use the power. A 918 you'll stomp the pedal mid corner and away she goes. I also believe the 918, P1, and ThethetheFerrari have far superior electronics/calibration than the Huayra but we shall see.

Do you get a chance to drive it? Not being facetious, just seriously asking.

By your logic everyone should wait until the lap-times and acceleration figures of these are tested before they try to buy one, right? If you shouldn't take a Huayra over a 918 because its slower then you wouldn't take either the P1 or 918 over the ThethetheFerrari because they will probably be slower too.

For the same price you would take a slower car? Whats wrong with you? :icon_mrgreen: Afterall, the 760 RS is "not better engineered, and it's competely outgunned."

It's better engineered. It handles better, it's more than 100 kg lighter, it can put the power down no problem and doesn't understeer like a pig when pushed. Which is something almost every reviewer of the Huayra has stated. And it still has more power than the Huayra.

P1 and 918 slower than ThethetheFerrari? lol, I doubt it, but maybe the 918 is slower than the Ferrari

It's better engineered. It handles better, it's more than 100 kg lighter, it can put the power down no problem and doesn't understeer like a pig when pushed. Which is something almost every reviewer of the Huayra has stated. And it still has more power than the Huayra.

P1 and 918 slower than ThethetheFerrari? lol, I doubt it, but maybe the 918 is slower than the Ferrari

Have we ever established whether you actually have driven or ridden in any of these cars or are you basing your opinion on youtube and magazine articles?

That is the most baseless argument ever. So you know that the majority of people looking at million dollar cars will go for the Veyron? And how is this? Many love the veyron tech but think its uglier then what some feel the Huayra is. You have absolutely no ability to say with any amount of certainty what someone in that market will choose. As more then likely they will have both. Or will go with whatever stirs their emotions more. Not just straight line speed. I dont see any Huayras sitting on dealer lots...(not that there are many pagani dealers.)

Bingo, to think majority of the guys with mega dollars to burn on toys chose one over the other because of track times is very childish, it's another cool toy and they will have one or the other or both, paint it some weirdo color scheme and add it to their collection.

Have we ever established whether you actually have driven or ridden in any of these cars or are you basing your opinion on youtube and magazine articles?

Yes we have, I am too lazy to search but he will tell you, he has some go karting experience, he was defending the MP4 so vehemently I actually thought he was working for McLaren involved with its development or at least had one in his garage, it worked out that I was completely wrong :icon_mrgreen:

Correct, Rotax shifter kart. 0-60 mph in 3.5 seconds or less (depending on gearing) and 2.5-3 G's cornering

That's pretty cool but for the life of me I can't see the resemblance between it and the Huyara.

image.jpg

Handling balance is everything in a kart. Should be on a road car too. Neutral to slight oversteer has always been my preferred setup. And Horatio just claimed his setup is the complete opposite direction.

Yes of course, the kart is on slicks and the Huayra is on road tires, but it's a philosophical choice to setup the car like that. One of many that Horatio has chosen.

Not something that I personally would like on a car in this price range. Totally subjective and you're free to want your car to have those characteristics.

Don't worry, Horatio says the understeer is OK! Hamilton, Schumacher, Heidfeld, and Senna really don't care how much karts cost. They are super fun to drive. And in the end, for the road, you want something fun to drive. Ever heard the term "go kart for the road?" It's something to be strived for.

PS, Lewis Hamilton bought a 760RS rather than a Huayra.

Handling balance is everything in a kart. Should be on a road car too. Neutral to slight oversteer has always been my preferred setup. And Horatio just claimed his setup is the complete opposite direction.

Yes of course, the kart is on slicks and the Huayra is on road tires, but it's a philosophical choice to setup the car like that. One of many that Horatio has chosen.

Not something that I personally would like on a car in this price range. Totally subjective and you're free to want your car to have those characteristics.

FYI pretty much all road cars are setup for understeer as it is safer and the car gets back in line the moment you take your foot off the gas. Why do you suppose the CGT is so tricky, due to snap oversteer .

If you have not driven a specific car that you are discussing, starting an argument based on magazine reviews is a complete waste of time as none of them are unbiased and objective.

Point taken. But when you see a car not being able to put the power down, does it become a valid observation? Is an article then writing about that biased? I have driven a few cars that I would not consider understeer oriented. Had a ton of fun too.

My opinion of this is directly from Horatios mouth. The car was designed from the start for understeer. Have a nice day

http://www.europeancarweb.com/featuredcars...ge/viewall.html

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/exotic...st/viewall.html

It's also clear to see from any in car vids.

Understeer. It's safer

He never said it was "designed for understeer".

This is what he said according to the European car article:

“We build in some stabilizing understeer, but if a client has the skill, he can adjust the suspension accordingly.”

So they leave the factory geared toward understeer, but once the owner has it in his/her hands they adjust it. Just like the fabulous go-karts!!