Dude loses weight eating only mcdonalds

Kerplop

http://screen.yahoo.com/popular/science-te...-122737570.html

I'm actually really surprised by this.. but I suppose it's a good lesson to learn that it isn't where you eat or perhaps what you eat, but how you balance and control your diet. I think it's pretty cool the guy decided to challenge the previous documentary. Although it sounds like he really kept an eye on his calorie intake.

Thoughts?

Definitely don't plan on eating only mcdonalds, but I thought it was great that someone shoved the, "eating this makes you fat" mentality... and instead, "you need to control your diet."

Discuss... lol.

I have a sausage and egg mcmuffin with coffee almost every day, and I never gain weight. It's all about calorie intake vs. Energy output, don't blame a restaurant for being overweight. Too many are using fast food as an excuse for having no discipline.

I have a sausage and egg mcmuffin with coffee almost every day, and I never gain weight. It's all about calorie intake vs. Energy output, don't blame a restaurant for being overweight. Too many are using fast food as an excuse for having no discipline.

So true. I think that was sort of what they wanted to go after was to show people it's all about discipline and keeping an eye on what you eat and do. I didn't really care about exercise all that often several years ago. Once I got into paragliding I was getting my ass kicked by the huge hikes to get up to our flying sites. I started going on walks or runs, watching what I ate. This last summer I felt better than I ever have. I'm struggling a bit in the off season but have adjusted my diet and started doing exercise again. Makes a huge difference in how energetic I feel.

Different things work for different people. You can eat just about anything in moderation and maintain weight but eventually there will be other side effects to those kind of eating habits. For example, I'm pretty sure that a body builder eating high fat content even though the same number of calories as something healthy, is not going to look the same even though the weight is the same. For people who aren't low body fat then then differences probably will be fairly transparent to some extent timewise.

Its all about calories in Vs calories burned. And 2,000 calories a day is not much food. You could probably sit on the couch all day and lose weight on a healthy 2000 calorie diet

Its all about calories in Vs calories burned. And 2,000 calories a day is not much food. You could probably sit on the couch all day and lose weight on a healthy 2000 calorie diet

Exactly. You can lose weight eating sticks of butter, but you'll be fcuking miserable and feel like Shit. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

I have been into fitness for most of my life and have competed in bodybuilding shows over the years. I can basically eat whatever I want, when I want, as long as I'm staying active and eat it in moderation (and by active, I mean being in the gym for only a hour, 3-5 days a week. The problem with most people that hit up fast food restaurants, is that they will not have the discipline to count their calories, fat, and protien intakes.... They will just keep ordering the Bigmac and fries and think they'll be fine because they didn't Super Size it.

This is true to some extent, but amount of meals per day and types of food consumed (protein, type of carbs) seem to matter more for most people, IMO.

At least if we're talking about people trying to hit a relatively low body fat percentage (sub 12% for men for example).

Of course, when it comes to fitness and nutrition, there is more variance here than anything I could ever imagine. There are some people who look great eating like crap, and others that have to work very hard to look good.

Life is not fair. :icon_mrgreen:

I could loose weight too. Every time I eat there or Burger King I shit my brains out two hours later. Their breakfast I can do though.

You can eat it for a year and you will be fine as long as you track your macro's.

When I was training for my bodybuilding competition my trainer gave me a set amount of calories I needed to meet within the day using the "if it fit's your macro's" aka IIFYM method.

Fat: 1 gram = 9 calories

Protein: 1 gram = 4 calories

Carbohydrates: 1 gram = 4 calories

Add all those up and it will give you your calories. So during diet you'd find me eating fries, ice cream, chips... Whatever I wanted as long as I met those requirements at the end of the day.

I was still able to get shredded using this technique and loved it. There's many articles on IIFYM online if anyone is interested.

Lots of sane talk in this thread, I will add some links for those interested. It is all about your calorie intake v. energy expenditure WITH taking into account a healthy ratio of protein/carbs/fats. Fast food like McDonalds can be healthy, though if that is all you eat for long periods of time ehhh well. IIFYM is good to dumb it down, and I would reccomend it, especially if you mainly eat whole foods. It works just fine for loosing weight etc if you eat processed fast foods too, but I just wouldn't reccomend too many trans fats and the like. Fats are great, you need them, but natural oils, animal fats etc are much healthier for you than the latter. Also make sure you get good blend of foods and some veggies/fruits to make sure you are getting good micronutrients.

As far as splits with protein/fat/carbs I reccomend calculating how many grams of each you need everyday, it is a lot easier than trying to figure out what percentage of each you need every day. If you are not on a strict diet you can give yourself a min of each to reach each day and then the rest of your cals can be from your choice of nutrient. Once you dumb it down a little and track it for a bit it really isn't hard and you will probably end up doing it by habbit.

More info on If It Fits Your Macros

http://doyoueven.com/2013/01/iifympart1/

Calculate your Total Energy Expenditure (How many cals you can eat). If you want to loose weight subtract about 10-15% from your TDEE.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Calorie Calculator, there are tons of other good ones (phone apps available too), just do a google search if you don't like this one.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/

Macronutrient ratios

http://www.livestrong.com/article/388545-m...tios-in-a-diet/

Have any of you guys tried intermittent fasting. You fast for 16 hours and eat all your food within an 8 hour window. My last meal is 8pm. I dont eat until next day noon. Only water, black coffee, or zero calorie drinks. So far I have been doing this for 6 weeks and I like it. Better concentration during work, more energy, I snack and binge less. First few days are tough, then you get used to it.

Have any of you guys tried intermittent fasting. You fast for 16 hours and eat all your food within an 8 hour window. My last meal is 8pm. I dont eat until next day noon. Only water, black coffee, or zero calorie drinks. So far I have been doing this for 6 weeks and I like it. Better concentration during work, more energy, I snack and binge less. First few days are tough, then you get used to it.

I had one where i ate pretty much anything in one meal before about 3 or 4 PM and nothing after that all day. It worked, but i was starving at the end of the day, stomach rumbling, gassy and constantly farting. It was unpleasant.

Im going say more like he's on the toilet half the day.

:iamwithstupid:

I can't eat that stuff.....Every time I do it just wrecks my stomach, not to mention I feel like shit for hours after eating it (McDonald's, Burger King, any of those).

No surprise really. It's all about calories in vs out (if you want to loose weight). You could eat only chocolate for weeks and still loose weight, but you won't get the nutrition your body needs and you will feel hungry for hours a day. Eating McDs for months will not do good things for your body (even if you loose weight). Also, the energy you get from eating McDs vs eating a HEALTHY 2k calorie diet is night and day. Spend those calories on healthy food and you will not feel hungry. You will also have a lot of energy. The same can't be said with McDs.

That can work for a period but you're hurting your metabolism that way too. Then again, some things just work better for different people. I cannot go that long without eating something, except on rare occasions.

I think it is not true the idea that not eating every few hours will hurt your metabolism. Up Until 150 years ago humans were lucky to eat once a day. Last time I checked our ancestors didnt take any preworkout drink before hunting a deer or whatever. We are not made to eat every 4 hours. During the fasting state your body does more healing and hormone production then when in digestion state.

Every weekend (sat and sun morning) I workout in a fasted state, last meal 14 hours ago and I feel great. They are typically my best workouts and I set new PR's. The weekdays I can only workout in late afternoon and my workouts are not as strong. Once you get used to fasting it is a really great tool.

Afew years ago back in high school...i ate fast food every single day for about 1 and a half year....i jump from McDonald's to Burger King to KFC etc etc...i love fast food..all my classmates knows where i usually eat after school...infact the people working there remembers me and knew what i was going to order once i step in...

my weight was always stuck at 43kg back then....that was about 5years ago...and today my weight is 45kg and i have since quit eating fast food after meeting my current gf who stops me from eating it..

so yeah, fast food doesn't gain any weight for me..i eat all sorts of nonsense.. (i don't eat 3meals a day..usually 2 or sometimes once *yeah its bad*)..