Malaysia Airlines loses contact with plane carrying 239 people

Steve K

all an EFB is is using a tablet or computer screen instead of a book of charts... it has nothing to do with the actual navigation of the aircraft. If some one hacked an EFB itd be the same as if someone took a pen to your charts.

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all an EFB is is using a tablet or computer screen instead of a book of charts... it has nothing to do with the actual navigation of the aircraft. If some one hacked an EFB itd be the same as if someone took a pen to your charts.

But... That tablet or computer screen has a potential pathway to the planes navigation system... They are designed to be secure... But.. once computer systems are integrated and have outside connectivity as these do, someone given enough time on his hands can potentially hack their way through the door to take over the next system in the chain...

I still don't believe it's a factor in this case, but my "oh come on" is a lot more tempered than it was four or five days ago when I first heard this....

I mean when I learned that airplanes are going for wifi connectivity in their various system my first thought was "that's gotta be al quadas wet dream... Why in the fcuk would they do this?"

But... That tablet or computer screen has a potential pathway to the planes navigation system... They are designed to be secure... But.. once computer systems are integrated and have outside connectivity as these do, someone given enough time on his hands can potentially hack their way through the door to take over the next system in the chain...

I still don't believe it's a factor in this case, but my "oh come on" is a lot more tempered than it was four or five days ago when I first heard this....

I mean when I learned that airplanes are going for wifi connectivity in their various system my first thought was "that's gotta be al quadas wet dream... Why in the fcuk would they do this?"

No, the EFB isn't a pathway to the planes nav system. They are independent.

And airplanes have had "wifi" for a while. ACARS, CPDLC, etc. You can't hack and take over a civilian airliner per say. In theory, you could send the airplane a different flight plan when/if it downloads it from their AOC (or whatever civilian's call it). But the pilots still manually check ALL the Lat/Longs when doing that against their paper flight plan.

No, the EFB isn't a pathway to the planes nav system. They are independent.

And airplanes have had "wifi" for a while. ACARS, CPDLC, etc. You can't hack and take over a civilian airliner per say. In theory, you could send the airplane a different flight plan when/if it downloads it from their AOC (or whatever civilian's call it). But the pilots still manually check ALL the Lat/Longs when doing that against their paper flight plan.

bingo

We get an ATC clearance, program it into the FMS and check it against the paperwork

the airline dispatcher has provided. WE ,the pilots, put it in and follow it.. nobody can "hack" or

change it but us.

So apparently due to the location of this 24m piece of whatever they are trying to locate, the search aircraft will ONLY have a 2 HOUR search window once they reach the approx location. That's it, 2 hours per day per aircraft that are flying out of Pearce AF base here in Perth.

Sad news coming from Hollywood this morning. Ashton Kutcher will not sign up to the sequel of "Dude, where's my car". Says the script writers went a bit far this time.

We get an ATC clearance, program it into the FMS and check it against the paperwork

the airline dispatcher has provided. WE ,the pilots, put it in and follow it.. nobody can "hack" or

change it but us.

That is completely contradicted by this...

http://www.israeldefense.com/?CategoryID=4...;ArticleID=2817

And this:

http://hackersnewsbulletin.com/2013/04/pla...just-phone.html

Which specifically mentions exploiting acars. Which evidently was the first system that went offline... And scars is not an easy switch off...

If I'm AQ I saw those articles above, (and dozens other just like them) a long effing time ago put 2+2 together, and immediately began saying "figure this out".

So apparently due to the location of this 24m piece of whatever they are trying to locate, the search aircraft will ONLY have a 2 HOUR search window once they reach the approx location. That's it, 2 hours per day per aircraft that are flying out of Pearce AF base here in Perth.

So... If that's the plane, somebody deliberately drove this plane to just about the most remote place that plane could get to... Somebody wanted this thing never found.

So 4 months ago, the FAA recognized a possible issue? And asked boeing to prove there wasn't one?

If there has been one rule for computer network systems for the last 30 years, unless a system is completely closed, you can put up a ton of firewalls and roadblocks, but there's always a way in... Because you designed it to be accessible by authorized parties. It may be super difficult to get in, but this is the crown jewel, and if it's at all possible, they will try to find it.

Ok... A friend is doing that satellite thing. And he sends me this picture. image.jpg

Pretty non descript blob in the water.... But it's huge. About 25m long top to bottom.

Then he finds this about 1000 feet away

image.jpg

That looks like a fcuking raft... But it's not the typical airplane ramp/ raft...anybody know if this thing had the pentagon shaped survival rafts boats use?

He says there more objects about 700 feet to the south.

That's a lot of stuff in a small area...

Somewhere in the Indian Ocean...

I hope I am wrong because I want to know as bad as everyone else....

But I am guessing that if we do not know what happened to that big plane at this point, we will never know.

I also think there are a few asians that know something about this that we never will.. they do not like sharing their dirty laundry or their intelligence capability, or lack of.

Again, hope I am wrong!

I hope I am wrong because I want to know as bad as everyone else....

But I am guessing that if we do not know what happened to that big plane at this point, we will never know.

I also think there are a few asians that know something about this that we never will.. they do not like sharing their dirty laundry or their intelligence capability, or lack of.

Again, hope I am wrong!

Tonight's two weeks.... The narrative in the media is beginning to change... Complaining about what the search has cost.... My guess... If they don't have something concrete in the next 48 to 72 hours, they'll "suspend" the search efforts...

I just wish CNN would stop their nauseating coverage with all the so called dumbfuck experts that talk ad nauseum about nothing.

I don't have the time to read the whole thread, but I've heard them say the pilots were devout Muslims and that the Muslim religion doesn't just allow one to commit suicide. They also say that Pakistan is fully within the range of the plane. Some wonder if the pilots took it up to 40,000 feet, decompressed it and killed the passengers, then flew it to Pakistan. Some say they think the Israelis suspect this and that this is why Israel is on high alert, that the plane may be something to use for terrorism.

I just wish CNN would stop their nauseating coverage with all the so called dumbfuck experts that talk ad nauseum about nothing.

I agree, it is annoying me tremendously!

I see and hear these interviews and at the end when the interviewer thanks them for giving their input in such trouble circumstances I just want to scream "but he didn't actually answer anything or give any insightful information!!! What is wrong with you people?"

Die Hard I remember made fun of that, when the building is under siege and the television networks bring in these "experts," but it is done in a sort of comical fashion for the viewer as you can clearly see the "experts" do not know what they are talking about.

I don't have the time to read the whole thread, but I've heard them say the pilots were devout Muslims and that the Muslim religion doesn't just allow one to commit suicide. They also say that Pakistan is fully within the range of the plane. Some wonder if the pilots took it up to 40,000 feet, decompressed it and killed the passengers, then flew it to Pakistan. Some say they think the Israelis suspect this and that this is why Israel is on high alert, that the plane may be something to use for terrorism.

Let me guess your source.. Faux News

Malaysia Airlines CEO confirms that MH370 had a cargo of lithium-ion batteries. Could they have exploded?

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updat...q-1226861867123

I think, based on what we know the plane did, that "accident" has ben almost completely ruled out.

If you read the "surprisingly simple/fire in the cockpit" theory a few pages back, a 777 pilot responded to it by saying, "I can't believe the guy who wrote that claims to be a pilot..."

I heard something a bit strange yesterday... In the week before the incident, the plane made three empty trips... Including Hong Hong to Malaysia and Beijing to Malaysia... Seems a bit odd to be flying an empty plane all that distance and pissing all that fuel away for nothing...

I heard something a bit strange yesterday... In the week before the incident, the plane made three empty trips... Including Hong Hong to Malaysia and Beijing to Malaysia... Seems a bit odd to be flying an empty plane all that distance and pissing all that fuel away for nothing...

Not strange at all completely normal. As you know I know a few air hosties and the pictures they post loads of pics with them messing about in empty planes. Different airlines have different nicknames for it.

That is completely contradicted by this...

http://www.israeldefense.com/?CategoryID=4...;ArticleID=2817

And this:

http://hackersnewsbulletin.com/2013/04/pla...just-phone.html

Which specifically mentions exploiting acars. Which evidently was the first system that went offline... And scars is not an easy switch off...

But ACARS does not fly OR navigate the plane. In fact when it doesn't work (of course you don't need it to go: MEL'd) it really doesn't matter at all. It could be totally corrupted and still not be able to tell the plane to make a turn or change altitude. Unlike most things on board, you are correct it does not have its own ON/OFF switch but like everything, you can always pull the breaker for it and kill power to it.

:iamwithstupid: and its not just CNN...its almost every news station here...and its annoying as hell...for now i already given up hope finding that plane...until they can find the fckin plane..everything else now is just rumors after rumors...clearly someone knows something and isn't talking..and those talking are the ones who don't know anything.

Malaysia government is doing a shit job with this case.. :eusa_wall: