Looking for a summer daily

Liquid Assets

Hey guys,

As the title states, I am looking for daily driver for the summer. Been stumped for a few weeks since I made the decision to pull the trigger.

Going back to Toronto and will have something else on the driveway such as a G63 so I could, and most likely will, go with a 2 door route.

Been searching all over the place...

LFA, is it worth it?

650S? Will it take a dump within the first 18 months of the 350k tag. Seems like the P1 I almost bought is taking a dump back home in Canada...

FF, to me was not what I expected after driving it and I wanted to love it.

F12 is cool but I cannot get over the Ferrari premium of being into the 320k car for 500k when its said and done...

SLR? Little uncomfortable and tight

599? Awesome but a little dated now

Bentley Supersports? Not sporty enough and could get bored quickly

Any input is greatly appreciated!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#3 pick - F12 - Prices have already dropped around here. They trade anywhere from sticker to 50k under sticker depending on how highly optioned. I just think it isn't very good looking and over half of the owners have sold them due to it being too twitchy and not as much fun as my number 2 pick.

#2 pick - 599 GTO - Best Ferrari ever made with the engine in front of the occupants. Timeless and lots of fun but very expensive. If you don't drive many miles it will hold strong. Since you want to drive it...

#1 pick - 12C Spider. It is actually much better looking than any other mid engine supercar with the top up (they all look good with the top down). Since production has ended the deals are out there. It's a great car for summer fun. Volcano red would be my choice.

Best of luck!!

#3 pick - F12 - Prices have already dropped around here. They trade anywhere from sticker to 50k under sticker depending on how highly optioned. I just think it isn't very good looking and over half of the owners have sold them due to it being too twitchy and not as much fun as my number 2 pick.

#2 pick - 599 GTO - Best Ferrari ever made with the engine in front of the occupants. Timeless and lots of fun but very expensive. If you don't drive many miles it will hold strong. Since you want to drive it...

#1 pick - 12C Spider. It is actually much better looking than any other mid engine supercar with the top up (they all look good with the top down). Since production has ended the deals are out there. It's a great car for summer fun. Volcano red would be my choice.

Best of luck!!

Thanks for your time and input Kris!

I was really leaning towards the FF as Toronto is like NYC. I live 20 mins north and would love to be able to throw a set of winters on and drive it into the city that is always plowed for snow like NYC is... Are you able to do that with yours?

Love the 599 GTO. A 599 could be had for 150-160 as appose to 500k. I know the differences and the fact that its a GTO, its just a hard pill to swallow in the price difference of 200%+

12C has always been on my radar. Was always a little thrown off as half my friends complain of problems and the other half love theirs.

Does it have to be a new model? What about a carerra gt?

I think a non GTO 599 with some tasteful mods would be awesome, especially at that price point.

That is also where my head is at.

SL65?

Been contemplating a SL65 BS a lot. Gorgeous car. Friend with a collection that owns one is making me feel the same way about it as I do the Bentley SS.

Does it have to be a new model? What about a carerra gt?

Almost bought the #4 Gemballa Mirage GT in Toronto, (had a 25 page thread on another forum about it) silver car that ended up going to China. My friend owns 3 CGTs and one is at Gemballa. Always loved them but cant help to feel its a little dated and interior lacks everything I would want from a summer sports/super car. Definitely a raw super car that is the last of its kind and would love to own one, one day but its not a car I can see my self driving often.

Used sls convertible. They've gotten super cheap.

Driven the SLS and the SLS BS. They are cool cars but don't do much for me.

I'd buy the FF over the F12, it's more versatile and it's already depreciated, when the F12 starts depreciating you don't want to have one in the garage.

Are you thinking you want a convertible for the summer or not? I feel like the 12c is really cool and prices have definitely come down quite a bit. As others have said you'd probably be able to pick one up, enjoy it for a while and not lose your shirt like you would on something newer.

If you're not looking for speed you could also look at the Drophead. The perfect DD in my opinion and has an unreal presence.

12 spider, great deals out there.

I just booked a drive at Exotics Racing with a McLaren and a 458, going to compare them one more time. They are awesome cars. For the price of the lowest end 2010 458 Coupe's, you can get a 12C Spider and as you and Kris said, that's getting a lot of car for a good price.

Enjoying your 12C brother?

About a used 2014 Vanquish? Just trying to think outside the box...

I would say a new body vanquish or an Aston DBS.

I actually test drove the DBS the very next day I made my decision on a new summer car. Always loved them and the new Vanquish. Would wait a little on the Vanquish as I see it dropping from the $245-255k range quickly.

Car was really cool but was a little underwhelmed at the end. It was a manual and I liked that part, but the power lacked a little from what I am use to. Would be an amazing day to day car in the summer though, practicality and drivability wise.

I thought about buying a DBS along with a modded 991 Turbo S / Bolt on UGR Scuderia for the summer as well. As appose to a LFA or 650S Spider.

I'd buy the FF over the F12, it's more versatile and it's already depreciated, when the F12 starts depreciating you don't want to have one in the garage.

Definitely agree 100% with your state of mind there.

I wanted the F12 real bad when it came out, even though I have had bad experiences with Ferrari. I even entertained their offer of having to purchase an FF in order to get on the 6 month list for the F12, lol.

Ferrari with their tactics and premiums... They are good at them and controlling the used market, I will give them that...

Are you thinking you want a convertible for the summer or not? I feel like the 12c is really cool and prices have definitely come down quite a bit. As others have said you'd probably be able to pick one up, enjoy it for a while and not lose your shirt like you would on something newer.

If you're not looking for speed you could also look at the Drophead. The perfect DD in my opinion and has an unreal presence.

Same friend with the CGT's has a Phantom Coupe and his Series 2 is arriving in weeks. I was disappointed with the 08 Coupe... Its larger than any sport SUV I have owned ( would suck for downtown Toronto ) and drove like my 64 Conti, lol. Always liked the car and my buddy says they did do a good job on the series 2 with updating a lot of the drive feel.

Anyone drove a 991 Turbo S?

I just booked a drive at Exotics Racing with a McLaren and a 458, going to compare them one more time. They are awesome cars. For the price of the lowest end 2010 458 Coupe's, you can get a 12C Spider and as you and Kris said, that's getting a lot of car for a good price.

Enjoying your 12C brother?

Yes, I really enjoy the 12C. Its just a no hassle, insanely capable exotic. The 458s are great too, but the Spiders are really high right now. I would get something where the top goes down if I were you, it really adds to the overall exotic experience.

Performante an option? If you can get deals on a 12C Spider then you can get a deal on a performante.

With the Lambo's I own and having used my 08 Spyder as a daily for 3 years, I am looking to go in another direction but if I wasn't, I would buy the Performente in a second.

Yes, I really enjoy the 12C. Its just a no hassle, insanely capable exotic. The 458s are great too, but the Spiders are really high right now. I would get something where the top goes down if I were you, it really adds to the overall exotic experience.

I love the top down feel as well and completely agree with the much better exotic experience! Glad to hear your enjoying yours!

MP4 spider would get my vote. Just an incredible all around car and a lot of car for the money. You should be able to end up somewhere around $60k back of sticker for one left on the lot somewhere.

I am biased but agree. It will drop if you drive it. Still lots of cars in mothballs that are going for a bit over sticker

Good luck. Lots of great choices.

599 w/ mods or 12C spider.....depends on how bad you wanna be able to drop the top.....

after seeing your other cars, either way you will be happy