June 6...

Roman

My grandfather hit that beach and kept on rolling with his Big Red 1 mission.

Unfortunately, he passed away in his early 60s (damn that is young) when I was around 7 or 8, so I never got the first hand account in detail. We have photo albums, his uniform, the bronze stars, and the newspaper clippings he sent back to my grandmother from germany...which are simply amazing.

Heros, everyone of them.

RD, thanks for the post.

Unfortunately, he passed away in his early 60s (damn that is young) when I was around 7 or 8, so I never got the first hand account in detail. We have photo albums, his uniform, the bronze stars, and the newspaper clippings he sent back to my grandmother from germany...which are simply amazing.

Heros, everyone of them.

RD, thanks for the post.

Kudos to your grandfather, what an incredible story and huge service. I wish I could thank them all.

Heros, everyone of them.

RD, thanks for the post.

My grandfather was also in the First Infantry Division... Small World War...

R.I.P. to those brave young men who fought the cause and perished on that beach and to those who fought on for us and the world that day. My father was a B-29 pilot in the pacific theater. What he did at the age of 20 is remarkable. God rest them all.

R.I.P. to those brave young men who fought the cause and perished on that beach and to those who fought on for us and the world that day. My father was a B-29 pilot in the pacific theater. What he did at the age of 20 is remarkable. God rest them all.

We owe them everything.

RIP Uncle Harold (82nd/Operation Neptune).

They are justly called The Greatest Generation. One of the most important things we can do is remember and pass down all the stories that came out of that pivotal time in history. All four of my grandparents served, and I have done my best to preserve the tales, pictures, and everything else they brought back. A truly solemn anniversary of one of the most important days in our past.

My old neighbor was in the 101st Airborne and parachuted into the area either on D-Day or soon after. He unfortunately died a few years ago at 98, but was a truly great man. We really do owe those guys everything.

Sadly people have become jaded and are no longer willing to sacrifice for their country.

Ummm, do you realize we have been at war for the last twelve years and there have been soldiers fighting and dying every day to protect you and our way of life? I have a couple friends with purple hearts who would disagree with you.

Perhaps you were talking about the civilian population. There are still plenty of people out there who donate their time and money to help our veterans and further whatever causes they are passionate about, be it political or humanitarian. If we were faced with a similar situation I would like to think most would step up and contribute, but I also have my doubts. I would still try not to generalize everyone at once.

Sadly people have become jaded and are no longer willing to sacrifice for their country.

Unfortunately many in this country have chosen or forgotten the sacrifice that those who served and serve have given.

Heros, everyone of them.

RD, thanks for the post.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normandy_land...-0455M_edit.jpg

A LCVP (Landing Craft, Vehicle, Personnel) from the U.S. Coast Guard-manned USS Samuel Chase disembarks troops of Company E, 16th Infantry, 1st Infantry Division (the Big Red One) wading onto the Fox Green section of Omaha Beach (Calvados, Basse-Normandie, France) on the morning of June 6, 1944. American soldiers encountered the newly formed German 352nd Division when landing. During the initial landing two-thirds of the Company E became casualties.

A great opportunity to show thanks:

Freedom Honor Flight is a La Crosse-based organization founded in April of 2008. Our goal is simple: to fly our veterans to Washington D.C. to visit the memorials that stand in their honor.

Veterans are chosen for the trip on a first-come, first-served basis with priority given to WWII veterans and veterans with a terminal illness. The trip is all in one day, spending several hours at the World War II Memorial, and visiting other Washington D.C. landmarks such as the Korean War Memorial, Vietnam Wall, Lincoln Memorial, the Marine Corps War Memorial and others as time permits. 100% goes to veterans

http://www.freedomhonorflight.org/about-fr...m-honor-flight/

Didn't read the article, I just put the link up for the source of the photo; I always give my sources (copyright) when I post photos. Ignore that BS.

A story local to me. http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/11262640.Wa...andy/?ref=var_0

There are generations that are numb to this. Even in my 33 years of age I cannot fathom what it must be like being thrown into a boat, thrown across a channel and then thrown onto a beach with such vile hostility.

We have generations that are completely immune and awash with ignorance to today's news whilst they click on links of a big arsed nobody leaving a shop in Hollywood or begging for follows on instagram.

We are talking about a generation that fought for freedom not begged for follows on twitter.

I am sad that there is a generation that does not understand, I am heartened that there is a generation that does.

We owe The Greatest Generation more than could ever be repaid. My Grandfather was a gunner in the Navy During WWII, hard to imagine what that was like at that age. The day we forget what they did is the day we stop being America.

I still think d-day is the single most important day in the history of mankind. No other day could have changed the history of the world as much as failure on June 6th 1944. During my college interviewing process I was asked to name what event I would like to most be able to travel back in time to see. D-Day was my immediate and unequivocal answer.

RIP Grandpa Harold Hanna. Served in CBI. Still have his army issued footlocker sitting in my kids bedroom.