So... Ebola...

Roman

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bitch, PLEASE!

MOPP 4 doesn't necessarily mean it will prevent a disease like Ebola. It's only a charcoal filter for the mask and with that means it can only scrub/filter to a certain point.

Hell, I'm not even sure where to look to see if would be functional against that. I am sure there is a list out there somewhere for that type of mask/filter though, but there is a reason why CDC workers don't wear the typical military MOPP setup.

Says the guy that lives in the concrete fortress lol

Paranoia wasn't the reasoning behind that style of construction :icon_mrgreen:

My problem is, there are no "experts" on Ebola. There are of course people who have studied it (in level 4 containment labs wearing full spacesuits and piped air) for forty years... But outbreaks in the wild are too rare and isolated to have learned much of how the virus behaves in the wild... And the scientists who study it in the lab handle it every day... But vials of virus don't bleed... They don't sneeze... They don't cough... And yeah, sure, inside those containment labs they intentionally infect monkeys and Guinea pigs who do sneeze and cough and throw feces across the room for fun.... But they would NEVER take one of those animals OUTSIDE the lab once they've been put into it... They wouldn't put one in a space suit, and drive them in an ambulance and put them on a fcuking plane.... Because there is no way to control that and the consequences are too horrific if something goes wrong...

And they're all on TV saying "don't worry... It isn't mutating..." Which may be a truism.. But it's completely irrelevant. It's a level 4 pathogen... It doesn't need to mutate, it's already one of the worst things humans have ever discovered... And it won't mutate... Until it does...it's an RNA virus, which by definition mutate. The reason this one hasn't in the forty years we've been studying it, is because it's never had a wide enough, multi-generation outbreak before. Viruses mutate once they replicate themselves in close quarters after several generations... Give this fucker six months and ten thousand cases and it will probably mutate, the nature that mutation will take nobody knows...

It has likely mutated. If this outbreak is the Zaire strain, then it has mutated...it seems to have a longer incubation period and kills less people, making it far more dangerous. If I remember correctly from the time of "the Hot Zone" (cool freakin book btw, and had me wanting to work for the cdc) that Zaire strain killed people to quickly for the virus to infect a large population. With a three week incubation period, it's leaving the hosts with an ability to act as a vector for a more significant amount of time. Scary bug...

So my buddy posted on facebook I was giving free TT G rides and to meet at the address at 9 PM.... Well the address was Emory and everyone was like ahhh what a joke lol....

Best part is I went there and posted this picture into the FB message LMAO

Rename.JPG

MOPP 4 doesn't necessarily mean it will prevent a disease like Ebola. It's only a charcoal filter for the mask and with that means it can only scrub/filter to a certain point.

Hell, I'm not even sure where to look to see if would be functional against that. I am sure there is a list out there somewhere for that type of mask/filter though, but there is a reason why CDC workers don't wear the typical military MOPP setup.

As Ebola stands now, as we understand it, the goal is keeping the bodily fluids (however they are passed, including aerosolzation through coughs, etc) off your skin and body orifices. The first Ebola researchers used 1970's army surplus gas masks and pillow cases as ponchos, and everyday clothing, and they were ok... Rule 1 of an pandemic is : stay away from other people, especially the sick. Rule 2: if you have to be around other people , take precautions. Covered head and face, preferably with non porous, non absorbent materials and covered skin. And lots of duct tape. And lots of anti-viral disinfectant. Even then you're still going to stay as far away as possible from other people and their illness... I'm not going to be bathing in other peoples blood under foreseeable situations. Doctors might have to...

That's were the Mormons have it right with the one year of food storage... They can lock themselves down for a very long time without interacting with others.

Just one more picture. Here's the drinking water situation currently in parts of Ohio

0VTFhNZ.jpg

The fcuk is that?

As long as the mask will stop virus particles, wouldn't it be safe to use for that kind of filtration?

Just one more picture. Here's the drinking water situation currently in parts of Ohio

0VTFhNZ.jpg

Was reading that the "algae" actually isn't really algae, it's a bacterium.

Paranoia wasn't the reasoning behind that style of construction :icon_mrgreen:

There is a difference in being paranoid versus being prepared ;)

There is a difference in being paranoid versus being prepared ;)

Ok let me explain my comment just for you :icon_mrgreen:

I never said they are the same, when people are paranoid they tend to over prepare, for things which might never happen, I understand being prepared for foreseen circumstances but preparing for a zombie apocalypse I am not generally ok with.

Robster alluded to the fact that I live in a concrete house which is the environment of choice for those who are getting ready for a zombie apocalypse and/or similar disasters depicted mainly in since fiction movies, I replied by saying that paranoia didn't have anything to do with the choice of the construction material for my house, the reason why it was built out of concrete is due to its architecture, design, speed of construction, energy efficiency, etc.

Much clear now?

As long as the mask will stop virus particles, wouldn't it be safe to use for that kind of filtration?

If it's a fine enough filter (or big enough virus/agent) then definitely. But that is something you'd have to check.

I have no idea where to look that up that though. I know there are certain chem/bio agents that MOPP 4 won't stop.

I wonder how possible it would be for a terrorist to go into Africa, infect themselves with the disease, then fly back here. If they are a legal terrorist like the Boston bombers, they wouldn't even need to cross illegally I am assuming. They would need to be able to get to the African country however, infect themselves, then make their way back here on time before showing symptoms.

Wasn't that the plot of a Mission Impossible movie??

Ok let me explain my comment just for you :icon_mrgreen:

I never said they are the same, when people are paranoid they tend to over prepare, for things which might never happen, I understand being prepared for foreseen circumstances but preparing for a zombie apocalypse I am not generally ok with.

Robster alluded to the fact that I live in a concrete house which is the environment of choice for those who are getting ready for a zombie apocalypse and/or similar disasters depicted mainly in since fiction movies, I replied by saying that paranoia didn't have anything to do with the choice of the construction material for my house, the reason why it was built out of concrete is due to its architecture, design, speed of construction, energy efficiency, etc.

Much clear now?

:lol2: Yes, I get what you are saying, but I think some of the "impossible" things can be foreseen circumstances. Such events could range from an EMP (electromagnetic pulse) strike (could happen someday due to if terrorists ever somehow manage to detonate some nuclear weapons in the atmosphere), which could disable much of the power grid and many electronics and automobiles, coronal mass ejection (according to NASA, one narrowly missed the Earth in 2012 and could disable much of the power grid), terrorist attacks on strategic points of the power grid, either physical or cyber warfare, biological disaster (deadly virus say), or major natural disaster of some type.

:lol2: Yes, I get what you are saying, but I think some of the "impossible" things can be foreseen circumstances. Such events could range from an EMP (electromagnetic pulse) strike (could happen someday due to if terrorists ever somehow manage to detonate some nuclear weapons in the atmosphere), which could disable much of the power grid and many electronics and automobiles, coronal mass ejection (according to NASA, one narrowly missed the Earth in 2012 and could disable much of the power grid), terrorist attacks on strategic points of the power grid, either physical or cyber warfare, biological disaster (deadly virus say), or major natural disaster of some type.

If it happens that I go I have no issues with it, I can't be bothered wasting energy on stuff that might happen, I make the most out of my certainties, uncertainties and what ifs I let others stress about :icon_thumleft:

If it happens that I go I have no issues with it, I can't be bothered wasting energy on stuff that might happen, I make the most out of my certainties, uncertainties and what ifs I let others stress about :icon_thumleft:

Basic prep is good, one can overdo any kind of prep though. I do not get the first part of your statement though: "If it happens that I go I have no issues with it" (?)

This is the chart I'm looking at...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_West_Africa_Ebola_outbreak

We've gone from 86 initial cases to 1323 in 129 days. Now, I'm not super at math, but I calculate that its doubling every 31 days or so? Obviously, if it gets out of Africa and continues at that rate in multiple locations simultaneously, that will accelerate exponentially. You could easily have a billion people infected in 24 months.

Obviously, this outbreak is different than previous outbreaks of Zaire. The others have killed more thoroughly, but never spread this wide. Why and how did this one keep burning into the thousands where other outbreaks have killed themselves off after just a few dozen cases?

We've added another 120 cases in the latest update... And another 100 deaths. In 3 days... If that keeps up, we're staying on pace to double each month...

I was reading comments on a post from CNN about the doctor and his assistant on FB. I don't even know why I read them. I just know that if it spreads here A LOT of people will be infected quickly just by the way these people were talking. Everybody thinks you have to physically come into contact with the fluids. Nothing about aerosol particles was mentioned. Also, nobody realizes what happens, you bleed out of every opening, etc. I think we should just call in Dustin Hoffman...