So... Ebola...

Roman

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be interesting to see what comes of this ZMapp drug after this?

Very interesting!

Brantly asked that Writebol be given the first dose because he was younger and he thought he had a better chance of fighting it, and she agreed. However, as the first vial was still thawing, Brantley's condition took a sudden turn for the worse.

Brantly began to deteriorate and developed labored breathing. He told his doctors, "I am going to die," according to a source with firsthand knowledge of the situation.

Knowing his dose was still frozen, Brantly asked if he could have Writebol's now-thawed medication. It was brought to his room and administered through an IV. Within an hour of receiving the medication, Brantly's condition was nearly reversed. His breathing improved; the rash over his trunk faded away. One of his doctors described the events as "miraculous."

By the next morning, Brantly was able to take a shower on his own before getting on a specially designed Gulfstream air ambulance jet to be evacuated to the United States.

Very interesting!

Hopefully the vaccine that has been developed by Tekmira (TKM-EBOLA) will prove itself viable. Phase one trials on humans were halted in early July by the FDA even though it worked on primates. Awaiting further developmental disclosure before trials continue. Sounds promising, but you never know.

And then there's this

U.S. doctor quarantines himself at home after treating Ebola patients in Liberia

(CNN) -- A retired American doctor who was working with Ebola patients in West Africa returned to the United States -- and put himself in quarantine.

Dr. Alan Jamison volunteered in the Liberian capital of Monrovia this month as part of an international medical group. He returned to the United States on July 25, according to Medical Teams International, the organization he worked with.

MTI declined to discuss details of how Jamison traveled back to the United States, including whether he was on a commercial flight.

Jamison, 69, said he's had no symptoms of the deadly virus, but has been in seclusion since he returned to his hometown of Morristown, Tennessee.

He plans to be in isolation for 21 days, which is the incubation period for the disease -- or the time between infection and onset of symptoms.

"My last encounter with a patient who had Ebola was on July 19," he said. "I contacted the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on my arrival ... and informed them I had been in West Africa and my history."

The father of three said his daughter picked him up from the airport and dropped him at home, where he's quarantined himself and has had no contact with anyone since.

"I'm feeling normal and doing the typical things a person would do in their home," he said. " I have my family who can bring me food if I need anything, and they would not enter the house. They can leave items outside the home."

Ebola spreads through contact with organs and bodily fluids such as blood, saliva, urine and other secretions of infected people.

Patients are only contagious when they show symptoms, not during the incubation period, according to the World Health Organization.

"I was not concerned that I was contagious when I left Africa, and not concerned at this time because I have no symptoms of the disease," Jamison said.

The retired pediatrician said he was volunteering with Medical Teams International.

"It was very stressful and emotional to see these things in Liberia," Jamison said.

Liberia is one of three nations battling an outbreak of Ebola. The World Health Organization says Ebola has been confirmed or suspected to have infected more than 1,300 people, with more than 700 deaths in West Africa this year.

So far, the disease has been confined to Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea. One man died in quarantine in Nigeria after leaving Liberia.

Two American medical workers infected in West Africa will receive treatment in Atlanta.

Dr. Kent Brantly arrived in Georgia on Saturday aboard a specially equipped plane and was taken to Emory University Hospital.

The plane is headed to Liberia to retrieve the other American, fellow missionary Nancy Writebol.

The treatment of the patients will be conducted under strict safety protocols, U.S. officials said.

There's no cure for Ebola. The most common approach is to support organ functions and keep up bodily fluids such as blood and water long enough for the body to fight off the infection.

Despite the risks, Jamison said he'd return to West Africa to help combat Ebola.

Questions about the Ebola outbreak

A vaccine is very possible, but funding is hard to come by as there is no money in it.

Where did u get this info? I don't think filovirus vaccine is likely, like HIV virus is unlikely.

Where did u get this info? I don't think filovirus vaccine is likely, like HIV virus is unlikely.

It was on talked about on local radio today, googled Ebola vaccine and a bunch of new stories from today popped up.

A vaccine is very possible, but funding is hard to come by as there is no money in it.

It was on talked about on local radio today, googled Ebola vaccine and a bunch of new stories from today popped up.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/04/health/exper....html?hpt=hp_t1

I'm curious what physical/mental state the people are in who "survive". The ones who survive naturally seem to be pretty fucked up.

I can't imagine. I wonder if being alive is truly better then being dead at that point.

+1

You want to explain to them why a VACCINE for this is probably impossible? Or should I?

That's not a vaccine. It's a serum, most likely derived from the blood of one of the earlier survivors of the virus (human or maybe even primate). It has the antibodies that most of us lack to attack the virus... So long as they're the exact same strain...

It's unlikely it will work after a few more generations of the virus...

That's not a vaccine. It's a serum, most likely derived from the blood of one of the earlier survivors of the virus (human or maybe even primate). It has the antibodies that most of us lack to attack the virus... So long as they're the exact same strain...

Correct.

:iamwithstupid: Article said it came from lab mice. Since we are thinking zombies, does the movie "I Am Legend" comes to mind?

The vaccine has been successful in monkeys, human trials to begin.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/08/04/t...e-not-far-away/?

That's fine... But it's an RNA virus... It mutates a LOT.

Forty years ago we'd never encountered a filovirus... In the forty years intervening we've only had a dozen or so outbreaks of them... All small... But representing 8 different strains. Marburg 1&2, Zaire, Sudan, Reston, Bundibugyo, Tai, LLOV... Zaire is the worst... But except for Reston, they're all fcuking bad.

A vaccine (which takes years to produce enough of if this thing blows up) will only be effective until it mutates again, which it will do in a full blown outbreak... Many times over...

There are two things you have to know about pandemics- the reproduction number (how many people will each sick person infect) and the fatality percent.

This outbreak looks to have a reproduction number of around 2 right now... And we can argue whether the fatality rate is 60% or the more traditional 90% (we won't know until the last sick people get well, or die, until then it's a pipeline because infected people are multiplying exponentially).

Consider this... The Hong Kong flu outbreak in the 1960s had a reproduction number of 2 or 3 (comparable to this outbreak) but had a fatality rate of only .05%.

That killed one million people...

http://7online.com/health/mount-sinai-pati...a-virus/239663/

Lets hope he just had some bad chinese food.

Could be anything... Probably dysentary or malaria... But, put yourself in the shoes of a traveler. You're in a country with an Ebola outbreak. You want the fcuk out. You buy a ticket out... You don't feel well... But you're hoping you'll be ok... And you just want home... You're not telling anybody you feel like shit until you get to a US hospital... When the possibility of hemoraghic fever is out there, denial seems to be the first instinct... And that's how these things spread...

Oh... And the toilet seats at LAX and JFK...

I just remembered on the immigration/passport cards handed out on incoming flights to Singapore and Australia last week they've asked passengers if they've been in "Africa, South America, and the Caribbean in the last 6 days".

Tinfoil be going full v-max in this thread, it seems.

zqmyxgm7aq5nigknd7vv.jpg

:D

willy_nilly.gif

Ebola appears to be a super hardy virus, it lasts in putrid blood for some time...that being the case could a mosquito not transfer it from Atlanta guy to me?

Ebola appears to be a super hardy virus, it lasts in putrid blood for some time...that being the case could a mosquito not transfer it from Atlanta guy to me?

I normally subscribe to a safe and plausible belief system but I'm not going to lie to you, it is very likely that the mosquito that snout fucked you recently while you were vacationing came directly from Atlanta stock full of Ebola blood from that infected doctor.

It's just a matter of time before your weiner bleeds and massive blisters develop on your eyeballs.

Bottom line is no body knows...there's never been a wide enough outbreak to find out if this can be spread (like malaria, west Nile, Lyme disease, etc etc etc) via blood feeding insects...

However I don't think the guy in Emory is going to be bitten by any Mosquitos. He's in complete containment... I'm more concerned about somebody making a mistake and taking the virus home inside them. Take a look at the "historical outbreak list" posted a few pages back... Look at how many are "lab accidents". Those were experienced scientists who know how to handle this stuff, wearing full space suits, in level 4 labs, who fucked up and killed themselves...