Huayra challenge in the US!!!

SV-N-IT

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know all this talk will amount to nothing but I would pay to see Webster lap them in the Cayman.

I'm not so sure that this will amount to nothing. Webster said he would do it and Treynor doesn't see to be the type of guy to mess around like this. I hope this will happen! LP could use more action like this!!!!

I know all this talk will amount to nothing but I would pay to see Webster lap them in the Cayman.

I am prepared to put up. I will be out at Laguna next Thu and Fri in a 458Ch. I'll get some video and post it here. We will see how my lap times compare to Webster's at the same track in his CaymanR. I will do the same thing after my P1 arrives. Or, he is welcome to join me at a track day in person if our schedules coincide.

I don't have any real ego at stake here - I'm as fast as I am, and no faster. I just think he is mistaken.

LOL!

Thats what I fcuking love about this place, the casual response you get just might be from an ALMS champion. . . and he might be on his way to Quiznos in a Koegnigsegg. :lol2:

I am prepared to put up. I will be out at Laguna next Thu and Fri in a 458Ch. I'll get some video and post it here. We will see how my lap times compare to Webster's at the same track in his CaymanR. I will do the same thing after my P1 arrives. Or, he is welcome to join me at a track day in person if our schedules coincide.

I don't have any real ego at stake here - I'm as fast as I am, and no faster. I just think he is mistaken.

Told you guys he is the real deal.

458 Challenge! BADASS. I saw Rahal's Silver on Red 458 Speciale in person...I can't imagine how sick a 458 Challenge must be in person.

Thats what I fcuking love about this place, the casual response you get just might be from an ALMS champion. . . and he might be on his way to Quiznos in a Koegnigsegg. :lol2:

:icon_mrgreen: :lol2:

..and the guy responding to the challenge to race him a Google exec, all started by a bet from a man who bought a 4.5 M Lambo and wants to prove his 1 off Huayra can out match any of the newest hybrid supercars.

I don't actually own a Cayman. The original quote was a hypothetical picked because Top Gear just did this exact test: Raced a Cayman against a Huayra on a track with a pro driver vs Richard Hammond. The Cayman won. Now that might well just be TV entertainment but I think the underlying point is the same: A driver who knows how to race will beat almost anyone who does not even if they're in a much much faster car.

I'm not near Laguna to actually carry this test out even if someone did have a Cayman to try it with. A little busy racing the last 5 rounds of the World Endurance Championship over the next two months. We are racing here in Austin, TX tomorrow at the COTA track. Starting P2 in class. Gotta defend that 29 point lead in the world championship:)

I don't actually own a Cayman. The original quote was a hypothetical picked because Top Gear just did this exact test: Raced a Cayman against a Huayra on a track with a pro driver vs Richard Hammond. The Cayman won. Now that might well just be TV entertainment but I think the underlying point is the same: A driver who knows how to race will beat almost anyone who does not even if they're in a much much faster car.

I'm not near Laguna to actually carry this test out even if someone did have a Cayman to try it with. A little busy racing the last 5 rounds of the World Endurance Championship over the next two months. We are racing here in Austin, TX tomorrow at the COTA track. Starting P2 in class. Gotta defend that 29 point lead in the world championship:)

Oh well. Maybe after racing season. Good luck this weekend!

Oh sure, the oldest excuse in the book, I Have a World Championship title lead to defend, pfft. :jackoff:

:icon_mrgreen:

Give em' hell man! We're all rooting for you to take the crown! :icon_super:

I wasn't doubting you, you seem like a straight shooter, I am talking about the original challenge and its terms and conditions :icon_mrgreen: that's what I doubt, I can't see that materializing but happy to be proven wrong mainly for entertainment purposes.

A driver who knows how to race will beat almost anyone who does not even if they're in a much much faster car.

:iamwithstupid:

It isn't even worth the effort to prove this point.

:iamwithstupid:

It isn't even worth the effort to prove this point.

I'd race ya but my plane carrier is getting serviced now and I can't get there.

I'd race ya but my plane carrier is getting serviced now and I can't get there.

You've had a little taste at the Giro lol. When the pool is finished in my 747, I will come and get you.

You've had a little taste at the Giro lol. When the pool is finished in my 747, I will come and get you.

I thought it was an A380, my bad, I hope to finish my private airport before your pool is done!

As for Giro, you must admit we are equally as crazy! Cooking brembos before and after lunch ! :icon_thumleft:

I don't actually own a Cayman. The original quote was a hypothetical picked because Top Gear just did this exact test: Raced a Cayman against a Huayra on a track with a pro driver vs Richard Hammond. The Cayman won. Now that might well just be TV entertainment but I think the underlying point is the same: A driver who knows how to race will beat almost anyone who does not even if they're in a much much faster car. [...]

Hrm. There are actually two separate things being proposed in your posts:

1. A pro driver in a quick car will be faster on track than the average hypercar owner in an extremely fast car.

2. You two (Kris and Ben) are both "regular joe owners" and I (Webster) would be faster than you on track in the above circumstance.

On the first point I have insufficient date - all the ThethetheFerrari owners I know personally are in Corse Clienti with me. Most of them are racing in other series (GT2 @ Spa, for example, of 24h of Lemans in a 458) and doing quite well. Quite possibly there are legions of LF and P1 owners who wouldn't know a slip angle if it bit them. But not all of them.

On the second point, I am prepared to demonstrate that you are mistaken. You proposed a track I am familiar with, and for which pro lap times exist as a matter of public record. Since you are unable to show up yourself and, using the car you proposed, demonstrate your driving ability, I will extend you the courtesy of assuming that you're as quick as Randy Pobst, who is a professional driver and extremely familiar with Laguna Seca.

yields a 1:41.6 at Laguna Seca in the Cayman R

Now, maybe you're as quick as Randy already, and maybe not quite. For our purposes it doesn't matter, because his lap time isn't even in the ballpark.

Here was the very first time I drove our 458Ch. It turns out it was also at Laguna Seca. Driving with the stability control in 'wet' mode, which kills drive out of corners like turn 5, I ran consistent 1:35 - 1:36s

There's plenty to improve in that lap, of course - I expect I'll have some more impressive results after this week's visit with the stability control turned down. None the less, it makes a simple point: a pro in a Cayman R at Laguna Seca would get lapped regularly by a competent but non-expert driver in a much quicker car.

Q.E.D.

PS: just to hammer this point home: in the Top Gear Episode which seems to have kicked off this silly side thread, our Stiggy friend drove a Cayman to a 2:13.20 at Monza. My Wife drove our 599XX to a 2:00 flat at Monza in her 4th session ever there. Shall I post that video too?

/TOPIC

Q.E.D.

PS: just to hammer this point home: in the Top Gear Episode which seems to have kicked off this silly side thread, our Stiggy friend drove a Cayman to a 2:13.20 at Monza. My Wife drove our 599XX to a 2:00 flat at Monza in her 4th session ever there. Shall I post that video too?

/TOPIC

That's All Folks! [/porkypig]

Q.E.D. . . I love engineers. :icon_thumleft:

I think there is a pretty big difference between a Cayman, and a Cayman R.... On top of that, I dont believe Kris has 1/100 of the experience Treynor, let alone any of the other big players here do..

I think you are missing the point, it seems Webster's post was a hypothetical comment..... which in the general consensus rings true. Not dissecting times in the actual Cayman etc.... More on the point of a pro driver in a shitbox sub 100k car (Carrera, Zo6, Viper... whatever) would generally always take the win on the inexperienced or amateur guy who spent millions on a super car with more HP and racing engineering built into the platform.

Hrm. There are actually two separate things being proposed in your posts:

1. A pro driver in a quick car will be faster on track than the average hypercar owner in an extremely fast car.

2. You two (Kris and Ben) are both "regular joe owners" and I (Webster) would be faster than you on track in the above circumstance.

On the first point I have insufficient date - all the ThethetheFerrari owners I know personally are in Corse Clienti with me. Most of them are racing in other series (GT2 @ Spa, for example, of 24h of Lemans in a 458) and doing quite well. Quite possibly there are legions of LF and P1 owners who wouldn't know a slip angle if it bit them. But not all of them.

On the second point, I am prepared to demonstrate that you are mistaken. You proposed a track I am familiar with, and for which pro lap times exist as a matter of public record. Since you are unable to show up yourself and, using the car you proposed, demonstrate your driving ability, I will extend you the courtesy of assuming that you're as quick as Randy Pobst, who is a professional driver and extremely familiar with Laguna Seca.

yields a 1:41.6 at Laguna Seca in the Cayman R

Now, maybe you're as quick as Randy already, and maybe not quite. For our purposes it doesn't matter, because his lap time isn't even in the ballpark.

Here was the very first time I drove our 458Ch. It turns out it was also at Laguna Seca. Driving with the stability control in 'wet' mode, which kills drive out of corners like turn 5, I ran consistent 1:35 - 1:36s

There's plenty to improve in that lap, of course - I expect I'll have some more impressive results after this week's visit with the stability control turned down. None the less, it makes a simple point: a pro in a Cayman R at Laguna Seca would get lapped regularly by a competent but non-expert driver in a much quicker car.

Q.E.D.

/TOPIC

in the Top Gear Episode which seems to have kicked off this silly side thread, our Stiggy friend drove a Cayman to a 2:13.20 at Monza. My Wife drove our 599XX to a 2:00 flat at Monza in her 4th session ever there. Shall I post that video too?

Without sounding shitty, actually yes please. :icon_mrgreen:

Just for you guys :)